DAC experts

Hi everyone.
Here again to ask for advice and opinions. Currently fully satisfied with my WIIM PRO connected with RCA to amplifier.
Read on the net on several forums that by connecting it to an external DAC there would be a significant increase in the quality of the music.
This is true?? Or does the imagination do a lot?
If there really was a significant improvement, I thought of combining a CAMBRIDGE AUDIO DAC MAGIC 200 M. Does anyone know it? Is it a valid product? Thank you.

I have just ordered a Topping Dx3 Pro+ to go with my Wiim Pro - it was recommended by Audio Science Review, which seems to be an altar many here worship at, and for a less serious take, this youtube guy gives it a very funny and positive review.

I saw this TOPPING DX 3 PRO PLUS.
Could anyone who already has it tell me if to listen to music from headphones it is enough just to insert the jack into the input or is it necessary to change the device options every time from DAC to PREAMPL to HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER?
Thank you.

The Cambridge is an ideal high quality DAC. Has a great headphone amp, If you stream Tidal it can do everything MQA with an amazing sound. It does not sound synthetic like the Chinese variety. Schiit does not work with MQA.
Cambridge does MQA?

If a headphone jack is a must, then consider too whether a remote control, even if just for volume, is a must.
This might cull the possibilities considerably, but still plenty of options up to that price point.
I ended up getting a separate dac and headphone amp for this reason, for the same price as a 200M.

Let's say that my headphone listening is very sporadic.
The DAC is more of a curiosity.
That is to understand if it really can make a difference compared to the internal DAC of the WIIM.

Take it as, yes a better DAC does sound better.
This depends of course on the system you are using it with.
If you are using thr Wiim with a cheapish system, then it's own DAC is probably good enough.
I am currently putting together a simple Amp and speaker system to use rhe Mini in the Garage.
I have the Pro in the living room plummed into Topping E50 DAC.
The Wiim pro and Mini are ridiculously good for the price.
So enjoy the music.

That is to understand if it really can make a difference compared to the internal DAC of the WIIM.
A 200M is not a particularly cheap way to just try it out, unless you can demo one, or something similar?
Maybe a comparable-ish test would be to take your phone / tablet to a store that sells things like the audioquest dragonfly range and see how going through that range changes the sound compared to the device itself and at each step in the range.

Take it from us the internal DAC of the WiiM is adequate but that's all. Whether you will hear any difference using WiiM through an external DAC depends a lot on the rest of your HiFi particularly the speakers. Someone suggested separate DAC and headphone amp and I'd agree as there are plenty of good DACs that don't have headphone out but a lot less that combine both.

It can make a difference indeed as WiiM's analog path is rather poor. But apart of this question there are questions if it will make a difference and if you will be able to hear the difference. Answers are not obvious here.

I have my WiiM Mini connected to an 1980s hifi system through a Chord Mojo 2 and, using Amazon Music, the sound quality is sublime. The internal WiiM DAC is serviceable but the difference the Mojo makes is clear, at least to my ears.

Hi @Antony67
Since you have many doubts about the usefulness, sound difference, of an external DAC, I would like to give you some advice. :)
Before spending large sums of money, to see if an external DAC is right for you, you could start with this
FiiO D03K Taishan ultra-compact DAC. It costs just €34 and is an absolutely fantastic DAC. Don't believe me and read the reviews.
It was also my starting point.
Sure, at that price it doesn't have a headphone output or other aesthetic frills, but it does its job damn well.
If you feel the difference, then you can go ahead and explore models with more advanced features and much higher cost.
If you don't hear any difference between the Fijo and the WiiM's internal DAC, well, then I think it's no use wasting your money on more sophisticated models and you will have spent only €34 to do the test .
Unfortunately, the problem with these devices is that we can hardly try them, hear at them, before buying the device.
The only way to help us in choosing is to read a bunch of user reviews and posts and......hope, at the end, that we've made the right choice.
Immagine 2023-02-28 080543.jpg

Hi @Antony67
Since you have many doubts about the usefulness, sound difference, of an external DAC, I would like to give you some advice. :)
Before spending large sums of money, to see if an external DAC is right for you, you could start with this
FiiO D03K Taishan ultra-compact DAC. It costs just €34 and is an absolutely fantastic DAC. Don't believe me and read the reviews.
It was also my starting point.
Sure, at that price it doesn't have a headphone output or other aesthetic frills, but it does its job damn well.
If you feel the difference, then you can go ahead and explore models with more advanced features and much higher cost.
If you don't hear any difference between the Fijo and the WiiM's internal DAC, well, then I think it's no use wasting your money on more sophisticated models and you will have spent only €34 to do the test .
Unfortunately, the problem with these devices is that we can hardly try them, hear at them, before buying the device.
The only way to help us in choosing is to read a bunch of user reviews and posts and......hope, at the end, that we've made the right choice.
View attachment 441
Amazon is always good for a try before you buy experience..
Totally agree on fiio, very good for the money.

@Brava210
Yes, I know you can return on Amazon, but I'm sorry to take advantage.
I would only use it in extreme cases.
I have never returned anything so far
P.S. The Fiio may be to have an Aux exit too

Hi.
In the end I made up my mind and bought the……PROJECT PRE BOX S2 DIGITAL.
Will come weekend.
Now another question. What better option to connect the WIIM PRO: coaxial or optical cable? Thank you.

Back