DAC experts

Hi everyone.
Here again to ask for advice and opinions. Currently fully satisfied with my WIIM PRO connected with RCA to amplifier.
Read on the net on several forums that by connecting it to an external DAC there would be a significant increase in the quality of the music.
This is true?? Or does the imagination do a lot?
If there really was a significant improvement, I thought of combining a CAMBRIDGE AUDIO DAC MAGIC 200 M. Does anyone know it? Is it a valid product? Thank you.

Only checking this thread again now.. If headphone output was essential, I'd have gone for the LOXJIE D30. It makes the Project look a little outdated and overpriced (as with most of their stuff). Maybe consider returning it still?

Question from a complete ignoramus liquid music.
I hope I'm not too off topic.
I can connect the CD player with digital cable and the streamer with coaxial on my future PRO JECT.
But I only have a pair of RCA outputs. Can I connect to the RCA input of the amplifier and listen alternately to the CD player and streamer?
Or would 2 RCA outputs be required? Thank you.

Question from a complete ignoramus liquid music.
I hope I'm not too off topic.
I can connect the CD player with digital cable and the streamer with coaxial on my future PRO JECT.
But I only have a pair of RCA outputs. Can I connect to the RCA input of the amplifier and listen alternately to the CD player and streamer?
Or would 2 RCA outputs be required? Thank you.
You will have to choose an active input - toslink or coax - on the DAC. Sometimes it can happen automatically based on the incoming signal.
This way DAC knows which signal to convert to analog and send over RCA to the amp.

Thank you. Perfect. Now it's clear to me. I had forgotten the selection that must be made upstream on the DAC.

Hi everyone.
Here again to ask for advice and opinions. Currently fully satisfied with my WIIM PRO connected with RCA to amplifier.
Read on the net on several forums that by connecting it to an external DAC there would be a significant increase in the quality of the music.
If there really was a significant improvement, I thought of combining a CAMBRIDGE AUDIO DAC MAGIC 200 M. Does anyone know it? Is it a valid product? Thank you.

I originally bought a Topping EX5 from Amazon UK for about £300 to pair with my Wiim Mini. It sounded pretty good, but the display doesn't show the correct sampling rate on the optical and coax inputs. This is a longstanding known bug. After about 80 days the on/off switch failed, rendering it useless. I contacted Amazon, who said to retun it to China at my expense. I contacted Schenzen Audio, who arranged for me to return it to Amazon UK for refund. Amazon wouldn't replace it as the cost had risen to £350.

I replaced it with an "open box" Cambridge Audio DACMagic 200M from eBay. At the time it cost £300, but the price has now risen to £350. The supplier was Cambridge Audio themselves, and as far as I could see it was brand new and comes with the original 2 year warranty.

To my surprise it sounds slightly more detailed than the Topping and the build quality seems streets ahead. Best of all it has a longer warranty than the Topping and is easily returned to a UK supplier if it needs repair.

Thank you.
In the end I bought a Project Prebox S2 Digital external dac. I feel good.
Are you feeling better than before? I do not know. I don't have such trained ears to notice the change.
But play music.
😂😂😂

Hard to answer....
For example, I have an old MF V-dac mk1, and no need of hd music. It's sound very well with my vintage gears.
When I compare it with Mini on board dac I could feel a very little differece, perhaps trascurable if not audiophile at ultimate stadium, V-dac sound a little bit more analogic.
And most important everything dipend on how yours ears are sensibles

Guys, hope my doubt sticks to this thread as it is about external DAC with WiiM PRO

1. Is it ok to connect WiiM PRO directly to IA's, for example - Marantz PM8006 ? AND will there be any drawback apart from the sound quality ( maybe because of the internal DAC )

2. Is it a must that an External DAC must also have a preamp ( like Topping E70) to connect WiiM PRO and Marantz PM 8006 , so that it has better control ?

TIA

1. Yes, you could connect your WiiM Pro (or Mini for that matter) straight into your amp as it has a 1v/2v line out. You’d then be using the WiiM’s internal DAC.

2. Similar to 1., I’d say that as long as the DAC you’re considering has a line level output that matches your amp’s inputs (for example a Topping E30 or E50 as mentioned earlier) , there’s no need for a preamp.

Reactions: SiR
On my opinion Topping D50s is unbeatable. I passed through different DACS to land on D50s. There are a lot of reviews about it. Read some.
KEEP in mind that a DAC is what a phono cartridge is for a turntable.
However it has no headphone jack. Why don’t you use the jack of your ampli instead?
I like that it has no head jack. In my opinion every added electrnic introduces some extra noise and electric disturbance. ;)
My D50s didn't work with Wiim Pro. It is a known issue.

Coaxial. Only few cheap cables work. I went to D70s. Other music...
Known issue indeed due to the coax input electronic implementation. Cables with the impedance close to the reference 75 ohm work worse that cheaper ones.

1. Yes, you could connect your WiiM Pro (or Mini for that matter) straight into your amp as it has a 1v/2v line out. You’d then be using the WiiM’s internal DAC.

2. Similar to 1., I’d say that as long as the DAC you’re considering has a line level output that matches your amp’s inputs (for example a Topping E30 or E50 as mentioned earlier) , there’s no need for a preamp.
1. Should the Line Out level to be set 1v or 2v in WiiM PRO, when connecting PM8006 ?

My D50s didn't work with Wiim Pro. It is a known issue.
Hi.
Me too at the beginning i have had an issue with Topping D50s. Solved since i powered it with the P5o linear power supply.
Now it works perfectly as with the Mini via SPDIF as with the Pro via COAX. And it also stays completely cold :)

Back