Disconnection issues - music stops streaming

kalozo

I have two issues with the Wiim mini that are happening so frequently it is unusable.

1) While casting from the Amazon App, the music just stops playing. The Amazon music app is no longer connected to the mini and can't reconnect. This has happened 3 times this morning in less than an hour

2) While casting from the Amazon App, the app disconnects from the mini and can't reconnect. In this situation the music continues to stream on the mini

In both situations the only way I can connect the Amazon app is to clear the app cache and force a stop.

I am using using Amazon Music App on Android either from a Galaxy A54 or an Amazon Fire HD tablet. All apps are on the latest version. I have a mesh network configuration with 3 nodes. The mesh and internet connectivity is solid with no issues - the mini shows wi-fi strength as very good when checking immediately after the issues have happened.

The only support advice has been to switch off preferred DNS. This has made no difference. Wiim are no longer responding to my support requests.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I have got to the stage where I am going to return the mini to Amazon as faulty and get a replacement to see if that fixes the issues.

The firmware for the WiiM Amp claims optimized wi-fi connectivity with mesh networks - perhaps this will soon come to the Mini too.

Do you have similar issues playing from the WiiM Home app?

What are your ticket numbers?

Edit: also, do you have any echo devices you can cast to to see if that link is solid with the Amazon Music app?

Thanks for your response. Just put some music on while replying to this and we didn't make it through the first track before the streaming stopped. Could this be a faulty device?

Bit of extra info - I am using digital out to an SMSL DAC.

I will do some testing with the WiiM Home app.

I have no issues streaming to an Echo - this is what I used to do before I bought the WiiM in December. Seriously considering going back to that. Lower sound quaility but I can at least listen to the music...

I have also tried swapping different USB power supplies.

How do I find ticket numbers? When I look in the WiiM Home app all my tickets just have a time and date - there isn't a ticket number?

I have two issues with the Wiim mini that are happening so frequently it is unusable.

1) While casting from the Amazon App, the music just stops playing. The Amazon music app is no longer connected to the mini and can't reconnect. This has happened 3 times this morning in less than an hour

2) While casting from the Amazon App, the app disconnects from the mini and can't reconnect. In this situation the music continues to stream on the mini

In both situations the only way I can connect the Amazon app is to clear the app cache and force a stop.

I am using using Amazon Music App on Android either from a Galaxy A54 or an Amazon Fire HD tablet. All apps are on the latest version. I have a mesh network configuration with 3 nodes. The mesh and internet connectivity is solid with no issues - the mini shows wi-fi strength as very good when checking immediately after the issues have happened.

The only support advice has been to switch off preferred DNS. This has made no difference. Wiim are no longer responding to my support requests.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I have got to the stage where I am going to return the mini to Amazon as faulty and get a replacement to see if that fixes the issues.
Same exact issue with me. Happens constantly.

I bought my mini from Amazon so have returned it as faulty and received a replacement.

The replacement mini still has issues but they are different.

I don't seem to be getting issue number one - the music is no longer randomly stopping.

However, the Amazon music app is disconnecting from the mini but this manifests in a different way. With the old mini, when Amazon music app disconnected, the cast icon would go back to being unfilled (i.e. not highlighted blue within the Amazon music app) but it wouldn't be possible to connect to the mini again even though the mini was in the list of devices available to connect to.

With the replacement device, although Amazon music app has disconnected, the cast icon is still filled in blue as if it is connected and any attempt to change the music plays locally on the Amazon music app device (not the mini), .

If I go to the Amazon music app settings to see the list of available devices to cast to, these are now all greyed out (whereas with the old mini they would still be available but just do nothing when you clicked on the mini). This then requires a clear cache and force stop of the Amazon music app again.

It feels as though natively connecting from the Amazon music app to the mini just doesn't work and WiiM should stop marketing this feature until it is fixed - this is false representation of the product.

I have also tried moving the mini away from the amp and DAC in case there was any interference. This has had no difference

Does connecting directly from Amazon music app to the WiiM Pro work? Do I send the second mini back and try the Pro?

Last edited:
I bought my mini from Amazon so have returned it as faulty and received a replacement.

The replacement mini still has issues but they are different.

I don't seem to be getting issue number one - the music is no longer randomly stopping.

However, the Amazon music app is disconnecting from the mini but this manifests in a different way. With the old mini, when Amazon music app disconnected, the cast icon would go back to being unfilled (i.e. not highlighted blue within the Amazon music app) but it wouldn't be possible to connect to the mini again even though the mini was in the list of devices available to connect to.

With the replacement device, although Amazon music app has disconnected, the cast icon is still filled in blue as if it is connected and any attempt to change the music plays locally on the Amazon music app device (not the mini), .

If I go to the Amazon music app settings to see the list of available devices to cast to, these are now all greyed out (whereas with the old mini they would still be available but just do nothing when you clicked on the mini). This then requires a clear cache and force stop of the Amazon music app again.

It feels as though natively connecting from the Amazon music app to the mini just doesn't work and WiiM should stop marketing this feature until it is fixed - this is false representation of the product.

Does connecting directly from Amazon music app to the WiiM Pro work? Do I send the second mini back and try the Pro?
It could be a problem with the Amazon Music app, the network, or your phone.
My mini and pro are working fine with Alexacast.
(However, there are a lot of bugs lurking in the Amazon music app, and the cast display often lies.)

Have you tried turning several switches on and off in the network status of the WiiM home app?

5Ghz only
DNS
Wi-Fi roming
IPv6

Check the operation while turning these items on and off one by one.

In addition, many problems can be solved by rebooting, resetting, and reinstalling.

Reboot the phone
Delete cache, reboot, log out, and reinstall all apps
Device Reboot and Reset
Reboot the router and check the configuration

I recommend that you try some of these that you haven't tried yet.

It's also possible that your mesh router is causing problems with WiiM connection. After resetting Mini, try connecting Fire HD and Mini to your phone's hotspot to set it up.

It could be a problem with the Amazon Music app, the network, or your phone.
My mini and pro are working fine with Alexacast.
(However, there are a lot of bugs lurking in the Amazon music app, and the cast display often lies.)

Have you tried turning several switches on and off in the network status of the WiiM home app?

5Ghz only
DNS
Wi-Fi roming
IPv6

Check the operation while turning these items on and off one by one.

In addition, many problems can be solved by rebooting, resetting, and reinstalling.

Reboot the phone
Delete cache, reboot, log out, and reinstall all apps
Device Reboot and Reset
Reboot the router and check the configuration

I recommend that you try some of these that you haven't tried yet.
I’d also check if the Amazon Music app has an Auto Connect option under settings - it’s there on my Android app but not my iPad Pro (iPadOS 16.7.2) although others have reported having the setting on their iPhone. I’d try setting or unsettling that to so if it has any impact. The Amazon Music app and AlexaCast can be quirky - and that’s being nice…

I've had issues with Amazon Music occasionally for several years, that are similar to what you are experiencing. As mentioned before, I would focus on your internet signal quality more than on the WiiM app.
I have a mesh network which for me made it much better than when I had a single wi-fi router.
Most successful for me when Amazon Music starts misbehaving is to power cycle my ISP router, then reboot the mesh routers.
I do multi room music the majority of the time, for what that's worth.
Frequently the Amazon Music app and the Alex app disagree with what's playing or with each other.
The WiiM app seems to be the most reliable at showing correct music information and consistent response to input. On occasion, even it will not play the first song when telling Alexa to play music on the MRM group.
Point is, Amazon Music has some issues that may make it look like problems with WiiM app. FWIW I'm using the WiiM Amp.

I’d also check if the Amazon Music app has an Auto Connect option under settings - it’s there on my Android app but not my iPad Pro (iPadOS 16.7.2) although others have reported having the setting on their iPhone. I’d try setting or unsettling that to so if it has any impact. The Amazon Music app and AlexaCast can be quirky - and that’s being nice…
I'm not familiar with Apple devices, but do iPad Pro / iPad / iphone each have a different OS ??? 🙂🤔🙂

(Sorry for the digression... )

yeah, it might have been with v16 (or maybe 15) that Apple decided to call it iPadOS on iPads, and keep iOS for its phones. Plus they’ve had MacOS for a while, and I think they even have watchOS for, yes, you guessed it, their watches…

I am testing new solution for myself: I tied my smartphone to only one node. It works for now but it is to short to say if it is because of this settings.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think it is an issue with the Android devices as both the phone and the Fire tablet have the same issue and they both have the latest OS and apps etc.

The mini and the Android have had multiple reboots over the past month as I have tried to work through diagnosing the issue. The mesh network also reboots every morning in the early hours based upon the manufacturer's recommendation.

So potentially looks there is an issue with the network compatability- but this is just out of the box mesh network and every other device works with no issue including many Amazon casting devices such as Echos and Fire TVs. There are very few options on the mesh configuration that can be changed - it just works.

I have disabled IPv6 on the mini as after a bit of googling, this looks like it can cause problems with casting. I will leave it running and see if that makes any difference.

Switching off IPv6 hasn't worked either.

It doesn't work at all if I switch off Wi-fi roaming.

I am beginning to think the only option is to send back the second mini, get a pro and connect via ethernet from one of the mesh nodes?

Last edited:
Back