Display screen for WiiM pro

I'm not a Roon user but what I think your asking is to use the TV as a display which you can do right now if you have an android based TV like a Sony or a Chromecast device connected to the TV and you cast to a group which includes the TV or the TV directly.
I'm not sure I follow - say I'm playing Pandora within WHA to my WiiM Pro unit using digital out. How would you send the 'now playing' screen in the WHA to your Chromecast connected to TV (cover art, song title, artist)? You can send audio using the Chromecast protocol to the WiiM Pro with supported apps (e.g. SiriusXM), but I don't see how that then allows you to somehow display what's playing to the TV using a Chromecast (either built-in to TV or via dongle). I can't see how I can 'group' my Chromecast dongle with the audio being Chromecasted to WiiM (and I don't want it limited to Chromecast audio being sent to WiiM anyways - it should support whatever is showing in the 'now playing' part of WHA).

The end-game here is to always show the 'now playing' screen in WHA automatically to the TV (similar to how Roon does it). Hope this makes sense ... and maybe I'm missing something with what you're suggesting.

I'm not sure I follow - say I'm playing Pandora within WHA to my WiiM Pro unit using digital out. How would you send the 'now playing' screen in the WHA to your Chromecast connected to TV (cover art, song title, artist)? You can send audio using the Chromecast protocol to the WiiM Pro with supported apps (e.g. SiriusXM), but I don't see how that then allows you to somehow display what's playing to the TV using a Chromecast (either built-in to TV or via dongle). I can't see how I can 'group' my Chromecast dongle with the audio being Chromecasted to WiiM (and I don't want it limited to Chromecast audio being sent to WiiM anyways - it should support whatever is showing in the 'now playing' part of WHA).

The end-game here is to always show the 'now playing' screen in WHA automatically to the TV (similar to how Roon does it). Hope this makes sense ... and maybe I'm missing something with what you're suggesting.
I'm not a Pandora user either so not familiar with it's implementation in the WHA. Maybe try using the Pandora app directly. If casting from Spotify for example, you get kicked out of the WHA and use the Spotify app directly and you can cast via Chromecast to your tv or Wiim.

I'm not a Pandora user either so not familiar with it's implementation in the WHA. Maybe try using the Pandora app directly. If casting from Spotify for example, you get kicked out of the WHA and use the Spotify app directly and you can cast via Chromecast to your tv or Wiim.
We're not on the same page :giggle: I was just using Pandora as an example. Any service in the WHA that you're playing with your WiiM Pro (Amazon, Tidal, Radio Paradise, TuneIn) and not having to send that music via Chromecast to WiiM Pro (you're natively requesting the music service itself in the WHA) .. when you see the now playing screen in WHA, the ask is to supply that type of view to a Chromecast as well (similar to Roon). Maybe I'm not explaining it properly ;)

You can certainly count me in as someone wanting to be able to display artwork, etc. on my TV. In landscape, clearly.

Indeed, now that PEQ is on its way, it’s the only thing ‘missing’ that I’d like.

Thinking about it, as long as the app could be made with a landscape option, just screen sharing that would do.

I subscribe to Amazon music. Seeing it on a screen is just a matter of using a Fire device. I like using my phone or tablet for the WiiM.

Amazon Music on the Firestick is exactly the look I’m after.

Possibly WiiM could created a version of the App which you could use on the Firestick?

Leave the app on your phone open
But sometimes one may be damp and naked after a shower, brushing teeth with an electric toothbrush being ever so careful in not dribbling toothpaste down one’s chin and all of a sudden an awesome song comes on over the bathroom speaker and one does not have reading glasses on and/or the ability to open one’s phone (i.e. because a) damp n naked, b) brushing one’s teeth with electric toothbrush, and c) no reading glasses on)) 🤷‍♂️ ... so one just casually walks into the kitchen to see what song is playing on the TV with Chromecast display 😇 and then one can tell Alexa with voice to add that artist/song on one’s To Do list for further research later (PSA: only do this if you already spit out the toothpaste) 💪

When nothing is playing what is showing on this screen?
It's open source, so whatever you'd like to show. It currently just puts the HDMI in standby to save energy, but do whatever you'd like.

But sometimes one may be damp and naked after a shower, brushing teeth with an electric toothbrush being ever so careful in not dribbling toothpaste down one’s chin and all of a sudden an awesome song comes on over the bathroom speaker and one does not have reading glasses on and/or the ability to open one’s phone (i.e. because a) damp n naked, b) brushing one’s teeth with electric toothbrush, and c) no reading glasses on)) 🤷‍♂️ ... so one just casually walks into the kitchen to see what song is playing on the TV with Chromecast display 😇 and then one can tell Alexa with voice to add that artist/song on one’s To Do list for further research later (PSA: only do this if you already spit out the toothpaste) 💪

"Alexa what song is this". Do this all the time myself.

It's open source, so whatever you'd like to show. It currently just puts the HDMI in standby to save energy, but do whatever you'd like.
Ah ok. I currently run LMS. I Use a docked Android tablet with LMS material skin for a now playing screen. After 60 seconds with nothing playing material skin activates it's screensaver which shows the date and time. Start playing something and it shows what's playing.

Ah ok. I currently run LMS. I Use a docked Android tablet with LMS material skin for a now playing screen. After 60 seconds with nothing playing material skin activates it's screensaver which shows the date and time. Start playing something and it shows what's playing.
Yes, that’s a nice solution as well, but limited by the sources LMS supports ( no Amazon, etc). I’ve also found Android tablet screens to be highly reflective, at least the few I’ve owned.

IMG_1054.jpeg

Hi @cc_rider

With the 7" waveshare screen setup, can you help with this error please?

Could it be auto discovery failing? How can I manually input the WiiM Mini URL? Where would that go and how would it look?

kind regards

1696420690860.png

Last edited:
Ok so I commented this part and it works now with Tidal and Spotify @cc_rider

Does that give a clue about a cleaner fix?

1696425725524.png

And additional query about Airplay cover art and track data - it works well on the Chrome extension wiim watcher.
But there is no metadata at all on the Waveshare showing.

I know your waveshare code is older - do you have any ideas about how to adapt the waveshare code to work like the Chrome extension, to get Airplay data and cover art from Wiim Mini ?

Since Chrome extension works well with Airplay i hope it should make it easier to adapt the Waveshare 7" code ? So that even Airplay works as well as Tidal and Spotify on the Waveshare

I'm guessing the adaptation will have to be here below but I'm not sure how to execute (I've tried a few things after looking at popup.js code but they are 2 different language codes I believe, so I'm struggling

1696428491416.png

Last edited:
Yes, that’s a nice solution as well, but limited by the sources LMS supports ( no Amazon, etc). I’ve also found Android tablet screens to be highly reflective, at least the few I’ve owned.

View attachment 2101
What is the "etc" you refer to?
I am only aware of Amazon as a service on WHA that isn't on LMS?

Back