Does optical passthrough work well?

khuntim

I have a Wiim pro and looking at powered speakers that only have one optical input.

the TV optical out should pass-through and still have Tidal support?

Not sure what you mean - you can change the input on your WiiM from its optical input from the tv to WiFi to play Tidal

Or just start casting tidal to the wiim and it'll auto switch to ethernet / wifi, and if you enable optical input auto sensing it can auto switch to optical in when the tv comes on.

But essentially, yes.

Last edited:
Or just start casting tidal to the wiim and it'll auto switch to ethernet / wifi, and if you enable optical input auto sensing it can auto switch to optical in when the tv comes on.

But essentially, yes.
Just remember that the TV optical out needs to be set as PCM.

I have enabled optical auto sensing and no audio from TV, music comes from ethernet to router.

My speakers only have optical input, TV goes into Wiim pro optical input and optical output to speakers. no sound from Tidal connect or TV.

tried 16/48, still nothing

Speakers work plugged into TV optical.

Attachments

• photo_2024-03-18_18-33-47.jpg
    photo_2024-03-18_18-33-47.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have enabled optical auto sensing and no audio from TV, music comes from ethernet to router.

My speakers only have optical input, TV goes into Wiim pro optical input and optical output to speakers. no sound from Tidal connect or TV.

tried 16/48, still nothing

Speakers work plugged into TV optical.
Have you gone thru the audio tests when you set the WiiM optical output resolution? Do you have another optical cable you can try even although the WiiM supplied one is of good quality and should work ok? Is the optical plug securely connected into the sockets at each end?

Disconnect the optical cable on the speaker side and check if the tip of the plug glows red. Never look directly at it.

Also, if there is no sound when you connect the TV and speakers with an optical cable, the TV or speakers may be set incorrectly, or the speakers may be broken.

Make sure TV optical out is set at PCM Stereo and not Dolby Digital etc. The WiiM can only manage 2 channel PCM.

I got sound, just a long lag time when I use tidal connect. it spins and spins for maybe 30 seconds then connects.
tried both ethernet and optical input as default seems the same.

I may add a DAC so i will have separate input for Wiim (Coax) and TV (Optical)

no settings on this LG TV for optical out, just optical, not see passthrough or PCM

test works with 24/96

Thanks for the help

Any TV with optical out will have the option of choosing either PCM or Dolby Digital ouput. You just need to dive deep into the menu.
I'll check it when I get back there tomorrow, its a pretty old LG 4K set, I remember seeing things like Mpeg - AAC etc.

probably should get new, but seems work okay. I'll try my basic DAC and see how that goes.

So far the auto-switching not great - I do need to look at the settings again.

I found the PCM options buried in the HDMI/Optical output. it's set PCM and still a long lag between changing and doesn't change automatically back to optical.

When I try Tidal connect if spins and spins for 30 seconds and then plays, when I want to change to optical from TV, that needs to be done manually.

Might as well hook up my DAC that has both coax and optical inputs for Wiim and TV.

Attachments

• lg_pcm.jpg
    lg_pcm.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 1
Ended up using my DAC with the TV optical into the DAC, using the Wiim with coaxial to DAC, works okay now.

No MQA light on the DAC with Tidal, used to light up.

No MQA light on the DAC with Tidal, used to light up.
Because...?
Tidal is moving towards high sample flac in preference to mqa.
Are you definitely playing an mqa track?
Do you have the right wiim options to allow a 'proper' mqa signal to get to the dac?

pretty sure I have the settings right, It used to light up for MQA, there is quite a bit of MQA still lurking.

photo_2024-03-26_17-59-31.jpgphoto_2024-03-26_17-59-22.jpg2024-03-26_180956_cr.jpg2024-03-26_181055.jpg2024-03-26_181200.jpg

Last edited:
Settings look ok.
That Exiles screenshot... Max, and MQA, and Audio quality Low? Is that the top of 320kbps I can see too?

Settings look ok.
That Exiles screenshot... Max, and MQA, and Audio quality Low? Is that the top of 320kbps I can see too?

Radio button set to Max. going to replace the coaxial cable, heard a cutout when I moved the DAC slightly

2024-03-27_063449.jpg2024-03-27_062841.jpg

Back