Ethernet vs Wifi

Terence

Hello. Sorry that I'm late to the Wiim party. i've spent a couple of days with the Wiim +, with only limited expertise. When I connect the ethernet cable to the Wimm plus, the app says my signal is Weak. When I switclh to Wifi, the signal. is very good. Am I doing something wrong? The ethernet cable is new, so I assume okay. And should I use optical instead of RCA? I'm connecting to a receiver and passive speakers. Or does optical work in this situation: no tv is involved....Thank you.

Hello. Sorry that I'm late to the Wiim party. i've spent a couple of days with the Wiim +, with only limited expertise. When I connect the ethernet cable to the Wimm plus, the app says my signal is Weak. When I switclh to Wifi, the signal. is very good. Am I doing something wrong? The ethernet cable is new, so I assume okay. And should I use optical instead of RCA? I'm connecting to a receiver and passive speakers. Or does optical work in this situation: no tv is involved....Thank you.
Hi,
If the Ethernet connection is established, the network status screen of the WiiM app will be displayed as follows.
IMG_20240103_131340.jpg
You won't see "Wi-Fi strength" or "RSSI" here. If you see them, you're connected via Wi-Fi.

In this case, try unplugging the WiiM device's power adapter, stabbing the network cable, and turning it on again.

Hi,
If the Ethernet connection is established, the network status screen of the WiiM app will be displayed as follows.
View attachment 4401
You won't see "Wi-Fi strength" or "RSSI" here. If you see them, you're connected via Wi-Fi.

In this case, try unplugging the WiiM device's power adapter, stabbing the network cable, and turning it on again.
Agree with @Wiimer it sounds like you are still connected to the WiFi and not ethernet. Do what he suggests, if that does not work try another cable.

I'm using Powerline to connect all my devices (also WiiM Pro) in the living room with the Internet coming from the bedroom. No issues at all. Why the question?

I'm using Powerline to connect all my devices (also WiiM Pro) in the living room with the Internet coming from the bedroom. No issues at all. Why the question?
Perhaps @wunderkind happened upon the luckiest man in the world.

When we ran Powerline out of necessity a while back, it might work fine for weeks and then run into problems that would take hours or days to fix. We ripped it all out when we put in a reliable meshed WiFi solution that covered the entire property.

LOL! I don't know it was a brain fart from a time long ago using Powerline tech. Think the quality of the bandwidth depends on the home wiring and what not. I find it can degrade from socket to socket. That said, hi-res audio bandwidth requirements aren't high comparatively.

Back