Easier Way To Change WiFi Connections PLEEEEEAAASE

Witterings

Major Contributor
PLEASE can we have an easier way to change what WiFi network you're connected to, bearing in mind how easy it is to connect / swap WiFi connections on phones, computers and tablets etc. this is really living in the dark ages.

I took one of my minis to a dealer so I could use the same equipment for a demo and it was a complete nightmare I evenntually gave up.
I've been round to a friends to set one up for him to try, I'd been using it as 5g only, I think it connected to the only access point that was a long way away from the room we were in which had an access point using 5g rather than the access point in the room that was 2.4g and was showing weak signal.

I tried switching off the only work on 5g but it wouldn't get it to disconnect and connect to the nearer access point on 2.4g.

In todays age this is a fairly basic / fundamental requirement I think and have requested it months back and received a reasonable number of other people that seemed to agree.

I don't have that requirement, but I think he is right: It should be simpler to change the WiFi network.

I've just had a MAJOR hassle as I upgraded to full fibre broadband and had to completely re-set my devices and set them all up again instead of something that should be really simple, to not be able to is Mickey Mouse age @WiiM Support @WiiM Team

I've just had a MAJOR hassle as I upgraded to full fibre broadband and had to completely re-set my devices and set them all up again instead of something that should be really simple, to not be able to is Mickey Mouse age @WiiM Support @WiiM Team
If you get a new router then it is easier to set the SSID and password on the new router to be the same as the old router rather than changing them on all your devices, which in my case would be 50+ devices.

If you get a new router then it is easier to set the SSID and password on the new router to be the same as the old router rather than changing them on all your devices, which in my case would be 50+ devices.

This totally depends on what your setup is and I wanted to run it in parallel to my current setup to compare how a mesh setup performed against wired access points and I couldn't do that if they both had the same SSID and the old setup had different SSID's as opposed to a seamless mesh setup.

It's quite easy actually (I've done it yesterday):

1-switch your phone to the required wifi network
2-press and hold the WiiM play button for 3 seconds or longer
3-in the WiiM app, search for your device
4-choose your wifi network and enter the key

But you're right, there should be a way to do this within the app. BTW, a wired connection will give you consistent results but your mileage with wifi will vary...

It's quite easy actually (I've done it yesterday):

1-switch your phone to the required wifi network
2-press and hold the WiiM play button for 3 seconds or longer
3-in the WiiM app, search for your device
4-choose your wifi network and enter the key

But you're right, there should be a way to do this within the app. BTW, a wired connection will give you consistent results but your mileage with wifi will vary...

I just tried doing it this way with 1 of them and it just wouldn't see the device, had to go through holding the play button for 10 seconds and renaming it etc.

It's just not a simple process as it should be.

Amen. changing a wifi network or inputing a new password is pretty much impossible.

yep, resetting to factory defaults is the easiest way but c'mon, this shouldn't be so complicated.

The WiiM Amp can be set to setup mode and can the be connected to a different WiFi network without losing any settings. Is there no such thing for the Mini?

It might still not be as easy as hitting a button in the app, but OTOH I do see the advantages of this approach (where non-technical members of the household are less prone to cause confusion. ;)

but OTOH I do see the advantages of this approach (where non-technical members of the household are less prone to cause confusion.

That's the equivalent of saying the currently simple way of connecting or changing wifi networks for phones, tablets and computers should be made much more difficult and I don't see a lot of confusion going on there?

I don't see what's hard about just holding the play button for a few seconds, then performing setup in the App. It doesn't reset anything other than the wifi settings.

It's pretty much out of the Amazon echo playbook (maybe not suprising given its Alexa links) - while there's an option to change an echo's wifi network in the Alexa app, it basically just takes you thru resetting the device to put it into setup mode to then choose a new network. At least WiiM skips that and goes straight to the reset ;)

It's a non-issue. :)

Maybe for you haven't but you seem to have a strong opinion and have no idea what others have experienced .... I've had a load of problems with it so don't judge just on your experience alone.
My opening post has quite a few likes which infers people agree with me ... I don't see any for your posts.

Last edited:
Right, let me explicitly mention this: My postings always express my opinion, I don't speak for anybody else. Take it as what it is, a contribution to the discussion.

So far there is a total balance of one upvote for your dramatically introduced request, spiced with a dose of insult. That's not too much. But let's just wait and see how public interest develops from here.

Last edited:
Right, let me explicitly mention this: My posting always express my opinion, I don't speak for anybody else. Take it as what it is, a contribution to the discussion.

So far there is a total balance of one upvote for your dramatically introduced request, spiced with a dose of insult. That's not too much. But let's just wait and see how public interest develops from here.

It's a non-issue. :)

When others are obviously having issues including myself, the comment above was just provocative like you're the devine authority and totally unnecessary, if it was a non-issue I wouldn't have started the thread.

@Witterings just for you, I added my vote ;)
I rarely need to switch wifi on my minis, but when I do it is annoying that it's just not as simple as it ought to be.

Is it a particularly onerous task? No. But it is a little frustrating!

Back