Easier Way To Change WiFi Connections PLEEEEEAAASE

Witterings

Major Contributor
PLEASE can we have an easier way to change what WiFi network you're connected to, bearing in mind how easy it is to connect / swap WiFi connections on phones, computers and tablets etc. this is really living in the dark ages.

I took one of my minis to a dealer so I could use the same equipment for a demo and it was a complete nightmare I evenntually gave up.
I've been round to a friends to set one up for him to try, I'd been using it as 5g only, I think it connected to the only access point that was a long way away from the room we were in which had an access point using 5g rather than the access point in the room that was 2.4g and was showing weak signal.

I tried switching off the only work on 5g but it wouldn't get it to disconnect and connect to the nearer access point on 2.4g.

In todays age this is a fairly basic / fundamental requirement I think and have requested it months back and received a reasonable number of other people that seemed to agree.

Is it a particularly onerous task? No. But it is a little frustrating!

Maybe it's just me but I've had so many problems and whislt not a guru I'm generally very IT literate.

Once I tried taking a mini and my amp to a shop to try some speakers and after 20 mins gave up trying and used their streamer instead.
I can't remember the reason but my ethernet connected one in the lounge I had to switch to using WiFi for a period of time and had similar issues.
I also changed the access point that 2 others connect to and also had problems when I gave a mini to a friend connecting it to his WiFi.

Granted you don't need to do it that often and once they're done they generally get left alone but it's the sort of thing that'd make you think twice about just taking it round to a friends for them to tryon their system at home.

Today I was finally able to fix my mini with 'weak connection' in my ASUS mesh. I had added a new mesh node near the mini but it would not connect using the new node instead of the one it already knew about, even after a 3-sec push/setup network. In AiMesh I set that mini to bind to the new node; the mini disappeared from the network, and another 3-sec push/setup failed the first time, but succeeded on first retry.

Today I was finally able to fix my mini with 'weak connection' in my ASUS mesh. I had added a new mesh node near the mini but it would not connect using the new node instead of the one it already knew about, even after a 3-sec push/setup network. In AiMesh I set that mini to bind to the new node; the mini disappeared from the network, and another 3-sec push/setup failed the first time, but succeeded on first retry.
Reboot your mesh. Then the WiiM will connect to the access point with the strongest signal.

Maybe it's just me but I've had so many problems and whislt not a guru I'm generally very IT literate.

Once I tried taking a mini and my amp to a shop to try some speakers and after 20 mins gave up trying and used their streamer instead.
I can't remember the reason but my ethernet connected one in the lounge I had to switch to using WiFi for a period of time and had similar issues.
I also changed the access point that 2 others connect to and also had problems when I gave a mini to a friend connecting it to his WiFi.

Granted you don't need to do it that often and once they're done they generally get left alone but it's the sort of thing that'd make you think twice about just taking it round to a friends for them to tryon their system at home.
Some of the problem lies on the network side. Better messaging in WiiM apps on what to attempt when troubleshooting would be nicer.

You just added a new AP to your mesh? Go to device settings, network settings and tap the MAC address of the current access point. The app will then allow you to pick a new mesh AP.

No need to switch the WiiM into setup mode.

Reboot your mesh. Then the WiiM will connect to the access point with the strongest signal.
Actually, the network does an auto-reboot every Sunday 2:00am, so it would have seen that last week. Now this morning (6 hours after this week's reboot), that mini was not connected to network. Took a 3-sec push to find it and add it back, which worked OK (on proper node).

You just added a new AP to your mesh? Go to device settings, network settings and tap the MAC address of the current access point. The app will then allow you to pick a new mesh AP.

No need to switch the WiiM into setup mode.
Thanks! I never saw that option when I was setting it up last year. I unbound it in mesh settings and selected mac in wiim settings. Will see what happens... :rolleyes:

Back