Echo Studio as powered speaker for WiiM Pro

Airplay cast is only available on the Pro/Pro Plus - my reading of the above was that the Pro would be used to airplay to the mini which in turn would feed the Studio over optical, not that the mini was casting airplay.
Ahhh….ok…thanks for the clarification!

Airplay cast is only available on the Pro/Pro Plus - my reading of the above was that the Pro would be used to airplay to the mini which in turn would feed the Studio over optical, not that the mini was casting airplay.
Thank you @Brantome for interpreting what I meant what I wrote at the time, cause it was straining my brain trying to remember 🤔 I’m not using the AirPlay casting functionality, so I don’t know how well that is working (I only tried it once and it worked fine at the time).

Update: I still have the mini via optical into Echo Studio (works well). Still waiting on WiiM Pro Plus to get ‘Roon Ready’ certification (then I’ll buy it), and then I’ll do a switcharoo with the mini for the WiiM Pro (Legacy) at which point the Echo Studio will then become a Roon Ready endpoint via optical (yay).

***EDITS BELOW***
I also learned recently (and ya’ll probably already know this since ya’ll are more advanced than me) that Optical connections apparently usually maxes out at 24/96 ***as a standard but can go up to 24/192*** (dependent on device and cable), but coax maxes out to 24/192. So the mystery of why my Denon would only max out at 24/96 has been solved cause I was using the Optical input. I changed it to Coax and now I can stream up to 24/192 on the Denon. So that was a fun mystery to get solved.

Apparently though the Echo Studio can only handle 24/96 24/48 input per @Brantome earlier comment about this (so I believe my earlier scientific chart still applies).

Last edited:
Thank you @Brantome for interpreting what I meant what I wrote at the time, cause it was straining my brain trying to remember 🤔 I’m not using the AirPlay casting functionality, so I don’t know how well that is working (I only tried it once and it worked fine at the time).

Update: I still have the mini via optical into Echo Studio (works well). Still waiting on WiiM Pro Plus to get ‘Roon Ready’ certification (then I’ll buy it), and then I’ll do a switcharoo with the mini for the WiiM Pro (Legacy) at which point the Echo Studio will then become a Roon Ready endpoint via optical (yay).

I also learned recently (and ya’ll probably already know this since ya’ll are more advanced than me) that Optical connections apparently usually maxes out at 24/96 (dependent on device and cable), but coax maxes out to 24/192. So the mystery of why my Denon would only max out at 24/96 has been solved cause I was using the Optical input. I changed it to Coax and now I can stream up to 24/192 on the Denon. So that was a fun mystery to get solved.

Apparently though the Echo Studio can only handle 24/96 input per @Brantome earlier comment about this (so I believe my earlier scientific chart still applies).
Didn’t the Studio max out at 24/48? And optical can support up to 24/192 but that may be dependent on the optical transmitter and receiver circuitry being up to it.

Didn’t the Studio max out at 24/48? And optical can support up to 24/192 but that may be dependent on the optical transmitter and receiver circuitry being up to it.
Oops ... my bad (thanks). Corrected my earlier post above. I should have first referenced my own post! 🙃

Well I finally hooked up my new WiiM Pro Plus to my kitchen AudioEngine A5+ speakers to replace the WiiM Pro and did a fair amount of A/B comparisons between the Pro and Pro Plus. I could notice a pretty good improvement in sound using the Pro Plus over the Pro with the analog out connection, so the price upgrade was worth it to me for the better DAC. Just can’t wait for Roon Ready status for the Pro Plus (cause now I lost that functionality for the time being in that room).

However, I now connected the WiiM Pro to my Echo Studio speaker via optical out (replacing the WiiM Mini), which is now a Roon Ready endpoint in that room (which I didn’t have before). It’s actually nice to have the WiiM remote and front panel buttons to play/pause/skip, etc. (especially since there is no remote available for Echo Studio).

Now I need to find a good use for the WiiM Mini (really wish it could be modified to be Roon Ready as well - would be perfect for the bathroom with its size). In thinking about this more, I wonder if the WiiM Pro could handle much weight if I put a powered speaker on top of it? Not sure if that’s a good or bad idea.

Back