Energy Savings & Power Management...

gurulee

Hey Y'all!
I want to handle auto and seamless power management in the best possible way with little to no negative impact in long-term.

My current setup:
WiiM Pro >>(line out rca)>> Sony STR-DH590 >> Kiplish speakers

(I also have sub-out to sub-amp off my Sony to an OSD outdoor sub)

With that being said, how can I automatically have the Sony power-on when I turn on the WiiM Pro to start playing music?
For the sub amp device, I was thinking of using an Alexa smart plug with routine to auto and/or remote power-on. But should I be concerned with the long-term impact on the power supply or unit by cutting power in this manner?

For this very reason I connected the Pro in my kitchen to a Topping MX3 via coax. The Topping has auto sensing on all digital inputs.
I hit play and the amp springs into life. It drives some 8inch in ceiling B&W speakers very nicely but it’s not “audiophile” grade. I don’t think your Sony is either.
The newer Topping MX3S does the same.

Hey Y'all!
I want to handle auto and seamless power management in the best possible way with little to no negative impact in long-term.

My current setup:
WiiM Pro >>(line out rca)>> Sony STR-DH590 >> Kiplish speakers

(I also have sub-out to sub-amp off my Sony to an OSD outdoor sub)

With that being said, how can I automatically have the Sony power-on when I turn on the WiiM Pro to start playing music?
For the sub amp device, I was thinking of using an Alexa smart plug with routine to auto and/or remote power-on. But should I be concerned with the long-term impact on the power supply or unit by cutting power in this manner?
Normally, AVR's "auto-standby on" is only enabled for HDMI input and network input. Even if you play music on a WiiM connected to RCA, I don't think the Sony amp will turn on automatically.

As a low-cost method. The Smart IR Controller allows you to remote control your Sony via Alexa. I'm using SwitchBot. 🙂

Normally, AVR's "auto-standby on" is only enabled for HDMI input and network input. Even if you play music on a WiiM connected to RCA, I don't think the Sony amp will turn on automatically.

As a low-cost method. The Smart IR Controller allows you to remote control your Sony via Alexa. I'm using SwitchBot. 🙂
Thanks! I will definitely look into this now.

Thanks! I will definitely look into this now.
I was unable to find Switchbot on Amazon. Is the Smart IR Controller and Switchbot two separate devices?
Can you or someone recommend the equip. I need to get my Sony STR-DH590 to auto standby or shutoff when no signal is coming from the Wiim Pro?
I'm thinking of getting RCA to HDMI converter in-between the WiiM Pro and Sony since the Wiim Pro does not have HDMI out ports.

I was unable to find Switchbot on Amazon. Is the Smart IR Controller and Switchbot two separate devices?
Can you or someone recommend the equip. I need to get my Sony STR-DH590 to auto standby or shutoff when no signal is coming from the Wiim Pro?
I'm thinking of getting RCA to HDMI converter in-between the WiiM Pro and Sony since the Wiim Pro does not have HDMI out ports.

This is Amazon US.

If you have Amazon in your country, try searching for "IR Smart Remote alexa". SwitchBot is one of the IR smart remotes. There are many other brands out there.

I've never seen an RCA to HDMI converter....

I'm thinking about putting my sub-amp on a Amazon smart plug since there's a relay in it. For my Sony receiver, I'm looking into an IR Smart Switch.
But what about getting an RCA line out converter to HDMI in to my Sony for signal auto on?

Anyone have any concerns with me putting the wiim pro device on an Amazon smart plug as well, or is the built-in standby setting sufficient?

Last edited:
I'm thinking about putting my sub-amp on a Amazon smart plug since there's a relay in it. For my Sony receiver, I'm looking into an IR Smart Switch.
But what about getting an RCA line out converter to HDMI in to my Sony for signal auto on?

Anyone have any concerns with me putting the wiim pro device on an Amazon smart plug as well, or is the built-in standby setting sufficient?
What devices can convert RCA to HDMI? Are you talking about HDMI audio separators? In that case, I don't think it will work. 🤔

If your subwoofer has auto standby, first check if it works fine. I think you can use a smart plug when it doesn't work. I've used smart plugs for my subwoofers before and haven't had any particular problems.

This is Amazon US.

If you have Amazon in your country, try searching for "IR Smart Remote alexa". SwitchBot is one of the IR smart remotes. There are many other brands out there.

I've never seen an RCA to HDMI converter....
How do these IR/RF smart remotes that support Alexa work? Don't they require line of site to the device for IR or within range for RF to work?
Looks like I'll need an extender for IR devices like my receiver if I don't have line of sight....
*****I'd like to find an IR and RF smart controller that supports multiple extenders that backhaul over Wi-Fi back to its hub so I can support multiple devices out of line of sight and/or too far for RF.

I'm looking at this one https://a.co/d/5OVd3w5

Last edited:
How do these IR/RF smart remotes that support Alexa work? Don't they require line of site to the device for IR or within range for RF to work?
Looks like I'll need an extender for IR devices like my receiver if I don't have line of sight....
*****I'd like to find an IR and RF smart controller that supports multiple extenders that backhaul over Wi-Fi back to its hub so I can support multiple devices out of line of sight and/or too far for RF.

I'm looking at this one https://a.co/d/5OVd3w5
For example, you can use alexa's routine to play Amazon music on WiiM after turning on your Sony amp.

This is routines that I set up in my house.

Routine 1
[Execution conditions]
Schedule: Daily at 7:00
[Action]
1. Power on the Amp.
2. Switch the audio input to RCA.
(IR remote runs)
3. Shuffle My Playlist "Healing" on Amazon music

Routine 2
[Execution conditions]
Say "Alexa, music in the kitchen"
[Action]
1. Power on the Amp.
(IR remote runs)
3. Play "My Discovery" on Amazon Music.

Routine 3
[Execution conditions]
"Alexa, Amp On"
[Action]
Turning on Amp.
(IR remote runs)

Routine 4
[Execution conditions]
"Alexa, turn up the volume"
[Action]
Increase the volume of Amp
(IR remote runs)

Routine 5
[Execution conditions]
"Alexa, switch"
[Action]
Switching between Amp inputs.
(IR remote runs)

The IR Remote must be located within range of the Sony remote. The Sony remote is probably IR, so I don't think RF can be used.

For example, you can use alexa's routine to play Amazon music on WiiM after turning on your Sony amp.

This is routines that I set up in my house.

Routine 1
[Execution conditions]
Schedule: Daily at 7:00
[Action]
1. Power on the Amp.
(IR remote runs)
3. Shuffle My Playlist "Healing" on Amazon music

Routine 2
[Execution conditions]
Say "Alexa, music in the kitchen"
[Action]
1. Power on the Amp.
(IR remote runs)
3. Play "My Discovery" on Amazon Music.

Routine 3
[Execution conditions]
"Alexa, Amp On"
[Action]
Turning on Amp.
(IR remote runs)

Routine 4
[Execution conditions]
"Alexa, turn up the volume"
[Action]
Increase the volume of Amp
(IR remote runs)

Routine 5
[Execution conditions]
"Alexa, switch"
[Action]
Switching between Amp inputs.
(IR remote runs)

The IR Remote must be located within range of the Sony remote. The Sony remote is probably IR, so I don't think RF can be used.
I think you meant the IR receiver on the device itself and not the IR remote for the device.
If the actual device IR remote is not near line of sight, the 3rd party smart IR controller will not work.
The smart IR controller needs to be near and line of sight with the device it needs to control.
This is my two cents 😉

I think you meant the IR receiver on the device itself and not the IR remote for the device.
If the actual device IR remote is not near line of sight, the 3rd party smart IR controller will not work.
The smart IR controller needs to be near and line of sight with the device it needs to control.
This is my two cents 😉
Yes, it is preferable to at least have Sony and smart remote in the same room. However, if you take advantage of the reflection of a mirror or window, you may be able to operate it from the next room. 😉

Back