General question about wiim multiroom

dewhee

Hi there!

I'm quite a newbie about hi-fi and streamers, so I apologize in advance for any stupid thing I would say :)

I'm interested in having a multiroom system inside my house and I read about wiim pro and mini. In my idea (but I'm not sure if possible):
  1. I would have several independent wifi speakers (1 in the kitchen, 1 in the bedroom..etc..) and 1 unique wiim
  2. I would add all these speakers to this unique wiim and create the speaker group "Home"
  3. I would then open my spotify and stream my music directly to the wiim
  4. The wiim plays the music all together on all the speakers
Is it possible what I'm describing or do I need to buy 1 wiim for each wifi speaker?
If it is possible, what kind of specs should the speaker have? (for example, they need to implement some particular protocol)

Thank you!

In a word, No.
Or at least, I've not seen anyone here mention this possibility at all without using multiple wiims, one into each active speaker / hifi system.
You don't 'add' a speaker to a wiim (in an app), you physically connect it.
You can group wiims together in the wiim app to get them to all play the same thing at the same time.

As Mr Ee says, you need one WiiM per active speaker pair.

If you have Echo speakers(or Google home speakers), you can pairing them with WiiM to configure a multiroom.

However, I don't think you can use Spotify connect with MRM with Echo speakers. Google home might be able to, but I don't know.

However, I don't think you can use Spotify connect with MRM with Echo speakers. Google home might be able to, but I don't know.
You most certainly can use Alexa MRM with Spotify - it supports any streaming service that Alexa supports. The multi room music group appears as a target device in the Spotify app the same as any individual device would. I suspect Google would be the same.

You don’t need a WiiM device at all unless you’re going to plug that into your stereo or active speakers. For example, you could get a very good multi room wifi speaker setup using Sonos for example. Or multiple Amazon Echos. Or Google/ Nest speakers. Or Apple HomePods using airplay2 . Or Denon Heos etc. Note that all these multi room setups are mutually incompatible.

Also, while a WiiM device can be part of an echo/Alexa multi room group, or an Airplay 2 group, or a Google ChromeCast group (Wiim Pro alone), it currently can’t transmit audio to the non Wiim devices. WiiM/Linkplay multi room is constrained to WiiM devices alone.

What music services would you be using for multi room listening?

Hi guys, Thank you so much for your replies!!

It's clear that what I had in mind it's not possible. Would it change something if I have Google nest mini speakers? can I pair them INTO wiim?

I know that Google nest has its own MRM system, but the problem is that works only via Google Home app. I would like to allow any guest in my house to stream their music in MRM (eg: via Spotify), without downloading an additional app (in particular Google home...).

You most certainly can use Alexa MRM with Spotify - it supports any streaming service that Alexa supports. The multi room music group appears as a target device in the Spotify app the same as any individual device would. I suspect Google would be the same.
I tried it but couldn't.

I created the MRM group "home" with Alexa app.
However, I doesn't see "home" in Spotify Connect device list. Am I doing something wrong?🤔

Does your Spotify really show the Alexa MRM group name?

To begin with, I don't think Echo speakers support Spotify connect.

Hi guys, Thank you so much for your replies!!

It's clear that what I had in mind it's not possible. Would it change something if I have Google nest mini speakers? can I pair them INTO wiim?

I know that Google nest has its own MRM system, but the problem is that works only via Google Home app. I would like to allow any guest in my house to stream their music in MRM (eg: via Spotify), without downloading an additional app (in particular Google home...).
I have an old Google home speaker, so I'll try it later.

You don’t need a WiiM device at all unless you’re going to plug that into your stereo or active speakers. For example, you could get a very good multi room wifi speaker setup using Sonos for example. Or multiple Amazon Echos. Or Google/ Nest speakers. Or Apple HomePods using airplay2 . Or Denon Heos etc. Note that all these multi room setups are mutually incompatible.

Also, while a WiiM device can be part of an echo/Alexa multi room group, or an Airplay 2 group, or a Google ChromeCast group (Wiim Pro alone), it currently can’t transmit audio to the non Wiim devices. WiiM/Linkplay multi room is constrained to WiiM devices alone.

What music services would you be using for multi room listening?
@Brantome,
I'm sorry, maybe I can't because my Spotify is a free version.

I tried it but couldn't.

I created the MRM group "home" with Alexa app.
However, I doesn't see "home" in Spotify Connect device list. Am I doing something wrong?🤔

Does your Spotify really show the Alexa MRM group name?

To begin with, I don't think Echo speakers support Spotify connect.
Yeah, Echo speakers do support Spotify Connect viz. link your Spotify account to Alexa either thru the voice assistant setting in the Spotify app, or in the Alexa app under more/settings/music&podcasts/link service.

That should normally be sufficient for your echos (and WiiM devices) and multi room groups to appear as target devices in the Spotify app, but occasionally you need to kick it into view by asking “Alexa, Spotify Connect” on the echo for it to appear in Spotify. Similarly for Multi Room Music groups, ask “Alexa, Spotify Connect group-name”. I guess it’s almost like pairing them together…

Here’s a screenshot from my Spotify app where you’ll see Alexa MRM groups with a multiple speaker icon - most of these are test groups I probably have never used in Spotify tbh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230702-094941_Original.png
    Screenshot_20230702-094941_Original.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 5
Also, note that in the Spotify app settings under devices, you need to toggle OFF “Show local devices only” - while your physical devices might be local on your home network, Alexa isn’t. Not having that unset might prevent echos and MRM groups from being seen.

@Brantome

Thanks for the advice.
I've done everything you're told, but Spotify connect doesn't show up any Echo devices or MRM groups. I set the default to Spotify in the Alexa app, And turned off "Show local devices only".

There may be a problem with my internet environment, but I give up because it is a function that I don't need.

@dewhee
I created a "Home audio group" on my Google home mini and WiiM Pro. I was able to connect to this group from the Spotify app and play MRM on Google Cast. You don't have to launch the Google home app every time to play music.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-02-19-19-30-860_com.spotify.music-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-02-19-19-30-860_com.spotify.music-edit.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 3
That’s a pity - I’ve been able to do this without much issue since Alexa supported Spotify and multi room music groups. Other than the info above and having to be on the same network, I’ve not really had any difficulty. I’m not aware of any Alexa/Spotify regional differences like there are for AlexaCast, but that might be the reason if you’ve followed the instructions above.

@Brantome

Thanks for the advice.
I've done everything you're told, but Spotify connect doesn't show up any Echo devices or MRM groups. I set the default to Spotify in the Alexa app, And turned off "Show local devices only".

There may be a problem with my internet environment, but I give up because it is a function that I don't need.

@dewhee
I created a "Home audio group" on my Google home mini and WiiM Pro. I was able to connect to this group from the Spotify app and play MRM on Google Cast. You don't have to launch the Google home app every time to play music.
Just another “qualification”, are your Alexa and Spotify accounts both in the same region? If they weren’t I guess it wouldn’t work at all, never mind trying to use Connect.

That’s a pity - I’ve been able to do this without much issue since Alexa supported Spotify and multi room music groups. Other than the info above and having to be on the same network, I’ve not really had any difficulty. I’m not aware of any Alexa/Spotify regional differences like there are for AlexaCast, but that might be the reason if you’ve followed the instructions above.
Same setup here in Germany with Spotify Free works nearly flawless. From time to time it takes some time until the Echoes appear in the list of target speakers.

Same setup here in Germany with Spotify Free works nearly flawless. From time to time it takes some time until the Echoes appear in the list of target speakers.
Yeah, sometimes the speakers will disappear from the Spotify list but a quick “Alexa, Spotify connect” often restores them.

Done!

Two of the four Echo devices are displayed on Spotify connect. I think they will all be displayed over time. Thank you.😉😉😉

thank you guys for all the precious hints!

After I create the MRM on Google home app, I'm able to cast audio by just using Spotify, the problem is that my guests cannot. I think because they also need Google home app in order to see the MRM listed among the devices of Spotify. Am I right? Anyway I'll try to toggle off the "Show local device only"!

just to give a bigger picture: we're talking about an Airbnb, so I want an MRM and give the guest the right to freely and easily play music in the entire home.

Back