Implemented - Turn off "Volume Indicator" LEDs when Amp is in Standby mode

harkpabst

Major Contributor
Received my WiiM Amp on Friday (PCB version 4, firmware 5.0.604458, Home app version 2.8.1.240116c84745) and the only major issue I've had so far is with the volume indicator LEDs. I like to have them enabled in general, but expected them to be shut down when the amp enters standby mode and the Status light is dimmed.

Not so, unfortunately.

I'm using the unit in my sleeping room and apart from the (probably negligible) influence on power consumption I would simply like the device to emit as little light as possible, once the sleep timer sent it to standby. Displaying the volume setting plain doesn't make sense to me when the device isn't operated.

This very issue had already been brought up by @Woody right here, but I didn't find any useful follow-up, so I'm posting this as a feature request:

Received my WiiM Amp on Friday (PCB version 4, firmware 5.0.604458, Home app version 2.8.1.240116c84745) and the only major issue I've had so far is with the volume indicator LEDs. I like to have them enabled in general, but expected them to be shut down when the amp enters standby mode and the Status light is dimmed.

Not so, unfortunately.

I'm using the unit in my sleeping room and apart from the (probably negligible) influence on power consumption I would simply like the device to emit as little light as possible, once the sleep timer sent it to standby. Displaying the volume setting plain doesn't make sense to me when the device isn't operated.

This very issue had already been brought up by @Woody right here, but I didn't find any useful follow-up, so I'm posting this as a feature request:

Hi harkpabst,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're taking steps to ensure the volume LED is disabled when the device is in standby mode in future updates. In the meantime, you have the option to manually turn off the volume light through the WiiM Home App. Simply go to the 'Device' tab, tap on the settings gear icon next to your device, and select 'Turn off the Volume Indicator' found under the hardware section.

We'd appreciate it if you could try this solution and let us know if it resolves your issue. Your feedback is invaluable in helping us improve our user experience.

Hi @WiiM Support,

Turning off the volume indicator completely is what I did so far to mitigate the issue. But I wouldn't call this a solution, it's a workaround, at best.

(NB: This holds true even when per input volume setting has been implemented with the upcoming firmware release.)

Having a volume indicator (rather indicating the selected gain) is very useful in my book. If nothing else it serves as a warning how loud sound may be when switching sources or listening again after a longer pause.

I understand that quite some effort went into optimizing standby mode already and I sincerely hope you keep improving on it, including the LED issue.

Last edited:
Hi @WiiM Support,

Turning off the volume indicator completely is what I did so far to mitigate the issue. But I wouldn't call this a solution, it's a workaround, at best.

Having a volume indicator (rather indicating the selected gain) is very useful in my book. If nothing else it serves as a warning how loud sound may be when switching sources or listening again after a longer pause.

I understand that quite some effort went into optimizing standby mode already and I sincerely hope you keep improving on it, including the LED issue.
Hi harkpabst,

I'm pleased to let you know that our engineering team has proactively addressed the issue you mentioned. We are planning to roll out a solution in our upcoming firmware update, scheduled for release by the end of this month. We appreciate your patience and encourage you to stay tuned for this update.

Back