Latest Firmware Update - Issue using EQ Settings.

IdrisRoberts

WiiM Pro connected to External Dac (Coax) Just completed latest firmware update, checked out parametric EQ function.
when listening to either Qobuz or music on my Synology NAS, if I ‘Switch’ on equaliser settings, whatever music is playing stops.
I then have to go back to source and start play again. This also occurs if I switch between the parametric and normal equaliser settings. Never had a problem before firmware update. Glitch in firmware? Or am I missing something here?

I played around with the equalizer for a bit, but then I decided to give up and rely on the tone controls of the amplifier.
Too many issues with playback at a fixed volume. It seems that the equalizer of the WiiM Pro doesn't have an automatic compensation algorithm for the maximum manageable level.
In general, it's better to make such adjustments in the analog domain anyway, so perhaps more people would be better-served to use something like a Loki-series equalizer downstream from the WiiM or preamp to address frequency issues that can't be corrected via physical room treatments.

In general, it's better to make such adjustments in the analog domain anyway, so perhaps more people would be better-served to use something like a Loki-series equalizer downstream from the WiiM or preamp to address frequency issues that can't be corrected via physical room treatments.
If there's a need to intervene in the middle of the bandwidth, then an equalizer is required. In my case, the speakers and the environment only need a little "encouragement" at the two extremes, so the tone controls of the amplifier are more than sufficient.
Equalizers, whether physical or emulated through algorithms, are complex machines that inevitably create phase alterations, and for analog ones, an increase in noise. Therefore, they should only be used when truly necessary.

That said, I'm among those who are inclined to intervene in analog rather than digital, but I'm also fortunate in that I have plenty of dB between the few watts typically used and the power threshold at which distortion becomes audible.

As a workaround I use the parametric eq in Roon.

It is not perfect however - every eq adjustment causes a short dropout of music (annoying)

I played a youtube "tone sweep" and identified a loud "node" @ 40hz

I dipped this at a narrow notch until the tone sweep sounded even.

I then added other eq to taste (basically some extra high frequency boosting to compensate for my age related hearing loss)

I am happy now.

But Roon requires my laptop to be on and a paid subscription. I can recommend it. it works with Qobuz and I think Tidal. It's user interface or "wrapper" for Qobuz looks better than Qobuz and has a lot of interesting extra data / info about artists etc.

OK carry on and good luck with the Wimm eq. (It would be good to be able to not use Roon & my laptop) when I chose so I will follow this threads progress.

It is not perfect however - every eq adjustment causes a short dropout of music (annoying)

I then added other eq to taste (basically some extra high frequency boosting to compensate for my age related hearing loss)

I am happy now.

But Roon requires my laptop to be on and a paid subscription. I can recommend it it works with Qobuz and I think Tidal.

OK carry on and good luck with the Wimm eq
I went over to the "How to use the EQ" section here, and discovered a second way to access the EQ in the WiiM Pro, and it worked. Go to Device, then Device settings, and hit EQ, now it works without shutting everything down. Still needs to be addressed, but at least I have my EQ back. Thank you for the reply.

Thanks everyone.

Working great.

I could do with a few more bands though

But this will good. To be honest Roon was crashing every 20 mins or so and it's not always convinient to be using my laptop for it.

I might even concider cancelling Roon now.

This is a (close-ish) copy of my Roon settings

Attachments

• IMG_6446.png
    IMG_6446.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

I am happy now.

But Roon requires my laptop to be on and a paid subscription. I can recommend it. it works with Qobuz and I think Tidal. It's user interface or "wrapper" for Qobuz looks better than Qobuz and has a lot of interesting extra data / info about artists etc.

OK carry on and good luck with the Wimm eq. (It would be good to be able to not use Roon & my laptop) when I chose so I will follow this threads progress.
Roons peq is far superior to what ever the Wiim can do. It’s all done in 64bit, has far more accuracy and control and also way more bands to play with. It so incorporates proper headroom management where the wiims is a bit of a guessing game if your clipping or not and how much to apply.

Does Roon calculate the required headroom based on the PEQ setup?
It has a clipping indicator to show you it is, you adjust down until it doesn’t. Nothing can really auto compensate as it would require a play through first to see which samples are pushed over for each track which isn’t really practical. It’s not just gains in peq settings that can cause clipping this is what so many don’t seem to understand any manipulation can cause intersample issues more so with any recording that is heavily compressed and close to 0dB without any DSP.

"far superior", "far more accuracy" - in what aspects exactly?
You can add more bands to get greater accuracy in the curve adjustments, you can also reduce overall headroom to lower the curve below 0dB if your applying gains, whilst this won’t eliminate clipping it’s a good start.

All DSP is applied in 64bit, any file is upsampled to 64bit before any processing is applied this give it a lot more headroom and precision. Believe me I have compared the two and Roon is far better at it and the results sound a lot better. Also being able to use its convolution engine and use this instead of peq is even better as you can also compensate for phase alignment issues which can and does make a whole world of a difference but that’s way outside what the Wiim hardware can do so not a fair comparison.

It has a clipping indicator to show you it is, you adjust down until it doesn’t. Nothing can really auto compensate as it would require a play through first to see which samples are pushed over for each track which isn’t really practical. It’s not just gains in peq settings that can cause clipping this is what so many don’t seem to understand any manipulation can cause intersample issues more so with any recording that is heavily compressed and close to 0dB without any DSP.
So just another guessing game as Roon cannot tell what pregain is necessary based on the PEQ setup, to compensate filter effects. Just like the WiiM app.

You can add more bands to get greater accuracy in the curve adjustments
You've mentioned it as the next advantage of Roon, which is obvious and I do not refer to it.

you can also reduce overall headroom to lower the curve below 0dB if your applying gains
It's rather increasing the headroom not reducing it. And you can do that with the WiiM as well.

All DSP is applied in 64bit
How do you know what precision is used by the WiiM for PEQ?

Believe me I have compared the two and Roon is far better at it and the results sound a lot better.
Why not, but it's your listening impression, right? Your statement "Roons peq is far superior to what ever the Wiim can do. It’s all done in 64bit, has far more accuracy and control" is based on that?

Back