Latest Firmware Update - Issue using EQ Settings.

IdrisRoberts

WiiM Pro connected to External Dac (Coax) Just completed latest firmware update, checked out parametric EQ function.
when listening to either Qobuz or music on my Synology NAS, if I ‘Switch’ on equaliser settings, whatever music is playing stops.
I then have to go back to source and start play again. This also occurs if I switch between the parametric and normal equaliser settings. Never had a problem before firmware update. Glitch in firmware? Or am I missing something here?

It's rather increasing the headroom not reducing it. And you can do that with the WiiM as well.

Not really you can lower the master volume with no real indication of how much it’s varying it by. Someone posted on here to say 95% is -3dB how accurate that is I can’t say, but you can’t really fine adjust. Roon you have a slider next to the waveform to move the waveform up/down to under 0db.

No I don’t but as they have made little about it I would say it’s lower than 64bit.
But you do recognize that there was an issue with noise shaping and distortions in the early stages probably due to insufficient processing precision, and it had been solved later, right?

Not really you can lower the master volume with no real indication of how much it’s varying it by. Someone posted on here to say 95% is -3dB how accurate that is I can’t say, but you can’t really fine adjust. Roon you have a slider next to the waveform to move the waveform up/down to under 0db.
The volume limiter is quite precise with its 3dB attenuation for every 5% step. Is 0.6 dB single step precision not enough for fine adjustments? I've no idea why to use a master volume instead in case of applying the headroom for PEQ purposes.

The volume limiter is quite precise with its 3dB attenuation for every 5% step. Is 0.6 dB single step precision not enough for fine adjustments? I've no idea why to use a master volume instead in case of applying the headroom for PEQ purposes.

can’t see a visual representation next to the waveform

But you do recognize that there was an issue with noise shaping and distortions in the early stages probably due to insufficient processing precision, and it had been solved later, right?
No as I only got mine a month or so ago only update was to fix the peq to work at all as it didn’t on the Pro Plus when I got it. All I can do is give my experience with both and say it’s just ok but not as effective, flexible or as good from an SQ perspective in my system in my room as using Roon. But where it does have the advantage is it can apply it to other sources which is very useful for a cd player or analogue source.

The advantage of the whole DSP subsystem of Roon is clear and I wouldn't dare to question it. But it does not mean that it implies to the every DSP aspect like PEQ for example. Apart of more bands in Roon when compared to the WiiM, both solutions deliver similar capabilities. And also limitations like no calculation of the required headroom for the particular PEQ setup. I see no basis for statements like being "far superior" or having "far more accuracy" in your explanations. Of course your listening impressions is something I'm not trying to argue with.

I see no basis for statements like being "far superior" or having "far more accuracy" in your explanations. Of course your listening impressions is something I'm not trying to argue with.
Aren't the lack of convolution filter support and limitation of 4 PEQ filters enough to call Roon "far superior" to WiiM for DSP *capabilities*?

On the flip side, I'd say that having your DSP in hardware, so it applies to whatever transport delivers audio to that WiiM (e.g. a phone app other than Roon), makes the WiiM "superior" to Roon for flexibility of use, especially in a multi-room household, where you have guests and cannot always count on someone using Roon.

Any idea how much farther outside what a WiiM can do? Understood that there are CPU limitations, but CamillaDSP can do a lot with FIR/IIR on an Rpi4.

Depends on the amount of taps and the complexity of the filter and what resolution it being applied in and number of channels and if its upsampling. Also the bitdepth these are operations are peformed in. Not sure how Camilla works but it seems to works fine on a pi, that has more resources on tap than the Wiim has. They have to work with tight cpu and memory budgets on devices like this, the pi is more general purpose. Maybe the next gen might or the rumoured ultra version.

Aren't the lack of convolution filter support and limitation of 4 PEQ filters enough to call Roon "far superior" to WiiM for DSP *capabilities*?
For DSP for sure, but it was about PEQ in particular.

On the flip side, I'd say that having your DSP in hardware, so it applies to whatever transport delivers audio to that WiiM (e.g. a phone app other than Roon), makes the WiiM "superior" to Roon for flexibility of use, especially in a multi-room household, where you have guests and cannot always count on someone using Roon.
Roon will loose all advantages in any scenario when it cannot be used, like using native Amazon Music service or digital inputs.

Can someone explain what the difference is between the 2 Equalizers?

How to set it up properly for a beginner?
Have no experience with such equalizers.
What do you have to look out for..in both versions ( graphic and parametric).
Thanks in advance of someone would take the time helping me.
What is the meaning in the parametric eq of the LS,HS..presets?
For a beginner its difficult what to do with the eq,s.

Last edited:
Can someone explain what the difference is between the 2 Equalizers?

How to set it up properly for a beginner?
Have no experience with such equalizers.
What do you have to look out for..in both versions ( graphic and parametric).
Thanks in advance of someone would take the time helping me.

Quite a lot here, hope it helps

Post in thread 'PEQ talk'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/peq-talk.1500/post-22435

Back