Making powered speakers wireless with Mini

Raphaz

If I use the Mini to make powered/active speakers wireless, and I want to do that with a pair (as in stereo) of powered/active speakers, do I need two Minis (one per speaker) or can I use just one Mini for both speakers?

I don't have the speakers yet (I'm open to suggestions).
I wanted to first find out how many Minis I'd need, how it works and if that's feasible for me.
So planetti, are you saying I need just one Mini for two powered speakers to run them in stereo? Both speakers connected to the same Mini?

Generally speaking, if the powered speakers consist of a pair (primary and secondary) that are designed to be linked together via wiring or even wirelessly, then yes you should only need one Wiim mini, provided the connections between the Mini and the primary speaker are compatible.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Edifier R1280DB's, but there are a lot of options at different price points. Watch and read a lot of reviews to inform yourself before making a choice.

I have a pair of Edifier R1280DB's, but there are a lot of options at different price points. Watch and read a lot of reviews to inform yourself before making a choice.
I use the same speakers, very good for the cost, (they are always for sale secondhand) I have a REL quake running at speaker level from these speakers, they sound great in my small games room:)

I use the same speakers, very good for the cost, (they are always for sale secondhand) I have a REL quake running at speaker level from these speakers, they sound great in my small games room:)
How did you wire the sub? There is no dedicated output on the Edifier's.

A follow-up to Raphaz:
I've found it useful to download and read the user manuals and setup guides for equipment I'm interested in prior to purchase. This practice reduces unwanted surprises.

Thank you, WiiMer SJ.

Any recommendation for good speakers that can be linked like that?
Depending on your budget some good options are:
- triangle borea br03/aio twin
- Q acoustics 3020i/m20
- vanatoo transparent zero/one +
- Ruark mr1
- acoustic energy ae1 active
- kef ls50/lsx
- klipsch fives/sevens/nines
- edifier s1000mkii

I personally have the Vanatoo Transparent Zero+ and a ruark rs1 subwoofer, and the setup sounds great with my WiiM Pro hooked up via optical
😁

How did you wire the sub? There is no dedicated output on the Edifier's.
There is on mine there is a sub output, but It cuts the bass from the Active speakers so I used the high level input to the Rel subwoofer via the speaker connection that connects the left and right speakers, I preferred the sound this way, but it could be done using the low level output. Edifier R1280DBs

I'd make life easy for yourself and buy a pair of powered speakers with a subwoofer output.

There is on mine there is a sub output, but It cuts the bass from the Active speakers so I used the high level input to the Rel subwoofer via the speaker connection that connects the left and right speakers, I preferred the sound this way, but it could be done using the low level output. Edifier R1280DBs
You must have a newer version. Mine does not.

Depending on your budget some good options are:
- triangle borea br03/aio twin
- Q acoustics 3020i/m20
- vanatoo transparent zero/one +
- Ruark mr1
- acoustic energy ae1 active
- kef ls50/lsx
- klipsch fives/sevens/nines
- edifier s1000mkii

I personally have the Vanatoo Transparent Zero+ and a ruark rs1 subwoofer, and the setup sounds great with my WiiM Pro hooked up via optical
😁
Something to look out for when shopping for "Active Speakers", some models have one channel (it could be left or right) as the default "Primary" speaker, others allow a choice. There are also a variety of connection options. Again, read the manuals and guides prior to purchase.

You must have a newer version. Mine does not.

I took a look on Amazon and there are two models.
I have the R1280DB, the other (and I presume newer) version R1280DBS has what appears to be a 3.5mm sub out.
Sorry for any confusion on my part.

You can also use another WiiM to send a signal wirelessly to your subwoofer. In this scenario you would use two WiiMs. The first will be the input to your main speakers and the second will be your input to the subwoofer. The WiiM software enables you to play to both WiiMs at the same, adjust the time delay between the two and as desired implement low and high pass filters for the subwoofer and main speakers.

As alternatives to Edifier, check out Kali Audio LP series and JBL 30xP (305P) series.

Back