Multiple Apple sources

49Stars

I have spent enough time looking. I have a unique problem, apparently. I just want to play to my wiim mini through 2 iphones, 2 ipads, and 1 iMac. When I first set up the unit I found I could play Music and Tidal (both on my iMac) through the wiim mini, but I don't know how I set that up; it appeared and then greyed out on Music and with Tidal it worked and then it didn't. It won't do it anymore. I have successfully managed to get the wiim app to play through different iOS devices, but I hit a roadblock with trying to also use MacOS along with it. Plus there is no "app" for MacOS. So many are touting this device as one of the best, but for my completely unique situation I am stuck. Must I choose between the Mac and the iOS devices?

Firstly, what do you mean by “Music” - local tracks you have on your device(s) or Apple Music?

And when you say you have the WiiM Home app playing on various iOS devices, what exactly is playing ok? Is it the use of the Tidal service thru the WiiM Home app, or the Tidal app on iOS using Tidal Connect with your WiiM as target?

On MacOS, there is a beta WiiM home app which is really only for playing tracks stored on your Mac, so again, when you say it first worked, what app were you using to play to the WiiM and did you connect to the WiiM over Airplay?

Last edited:
The Apple iTunes replacement is called Music. I didn’t choose the name. So, Tidal and Music. I Hope I made it clear I am using an iMac plus four iOS devices. What is playing okay are the four iOS devices using the WiiM app and Tidal. Strangely, the Wiim has shown up in Music (iMac) but only briefly only to disappear again. With Tidal (iMac) it showed up once as a little drop down notification and allowed me to choos the WiiM as one of the output choices (along with MS Teams???) then disappeared. I have not learned about Tidal connect yet on iOS. Over and over it is emphasized about iOS and its connectivity but searching all over the place and the Mac is barely mentioned. Thanks for your response.

Music on MacOS uses AirPlay for its connections. AirPlay can also be used system-wide to broadcast sound or video. Tidal (probably? I don’t use it) also uses the AirPlay interface in MacOS.

So the WiiM isn’t consistently seen as an AirPlay target. Might want to start a ticket with WiiM support.

Does the WiiM show up consistently as an AirPlay target if you use Music on iOS?

I have never seen an Airplay interface on my iMac. I will search around for it.
While in the Music app, it's in the upper right corner:

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 09.16.13.png

Clicking it should reveal all devices available to stream to (some may be nested/grouped with an arrow to expand):

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 09.16.37.png

If you're already playing something on the Mac's speakers you can also find Airplay by first clicking the Control Center icon:

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 09.22.02.png

Back