My old & new setup

hurstfirst

As my setups now roon ready, I thought I'd share what you can do with a mix of older and newer kit.

Currently running a pair of Quad 12Ls on Soundstyle stands (bought 15 years ago and still sounding as good / better than the day I bought them), with a Klipsch KW-120-THX sub powered by an Anthony Gallo reference 3 sa. Have a quad mini center and some B&W AM1s for the rears - but that's a bit redundant for audio.
Then have a much older yamaha dsp ax1 running it all, with my wiim pro running in via optical and streaming via roon from an i7 NUC hidden behind the LG Oled. There's a PS5 behind there too, and a shield pro for my plex requirements.

Control is via a logitech harmony, and with a bit of dialing in it all kind of sings. Have my eyes on a Marantz cinema 40 when funds allow / my yamaha finally dies but really can't see myself gaining much in SQ for stereo - more just for surround sound & being able to add a few more pairs of AM1s for 9.1... and maybe another 120-thx if I find another good deal and want stereo bass.

Have a couple of AC Infinity blowers keeping stuff cool - and the back of the cabinet got hit by the jigsaw so is nice and open ;)

The roon stuff just works - now my wiims are upgraded I can group them with my B&W Formation flexes in the other room easily and it all sounds and works great - v happy with it all now.

And obviously, as with everything HiFi, there's always other upgrade paths - I'm a retailer for B&W so have my eyes on some 7s or 8s - but again the sound of the Quads works for me so it'll be one of the many 'unnecessary' purchases I make...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-27 at 21.58.32.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-27 at 21.58.32.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 19
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-27 at 22.00.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-27 at 22.00.37.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 20
Back