New MQA changes

TimD

Hello, with the recent changes regarding MQA, can anyone tell me exactly what is going on? My Wiim is hooked up by the optical output to a DAC that has zero MQA support. Does the new updates allow me to now listen to master recordings on MQA fully decoded and unfolded that I can send to my non-MQA DAC? If so can someone tell me how to do this exactly?

I was told there was no such thing as a dumb question, so at the risk of ridicule I’m asking…

By the way, I share a tidal high subscription so I do have access to master files but I typically only play tidal in “hifi” mode and not master because of my DAC.

Thanks in advance folks!

Tim

So the advantage for me at this point is extending the 88 kHz up to 96? Is there any improvement in bit rate or does it remain at 16-bit?

By the way thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

Hello, with the recent changes regarding MQA, can anyone tell me exactly what is going on? My Wiim is hooked up by the optical output to a DAC that has zero MQA support. Does the new updates allow me to now listen to master recordings on MQA fully decoded and unfolded that I can send to my non-MQA DAC? If so can someone tell me how to do this exactly?

I was told there was no such thing as a dumb question, so at the risk of ridicule I’m asking…

By the way, I share a tidal high subscription so I do have access to master files but I typically only play tidal in “hifi” mode and not master because of my DAC.

Thanks in advance folks!

Tim
On audio setting turn mqa core then choose no mqa. There are 4 choices, no mqa, decoder and renderer, decoder, renderer.

On audio setting turn mqa core then choose no mqa. There are 4 choices, no mqa, decoder and renderer, decoder, renderer.
Thanks! got it! Now, at the risk of being a pain, do I leave my Tidal app on HIFI resolution for playback, or do I go to Master resolution? As I mentioned, I do have HIFI + that a family member lets me share...

Thanks! got it! Now, at the risk of being a pain, do I leave my Tidal app on HIFI resolution for playback, or do I go to Master resolution? As I mentioned, I do have HIFI + that a family member lets me share...
You need to use tidal connect. Set your tidal apps to master. Depends on the music, you could get either hifi or master.

You need to use tidal connect. Set your tidal apps to master. Depends on the music, you could get either hifi or master.
SmartPlug - You rock. Playing now... I do love the Tidal app. Not such a fan of MQA (don't want to start that discussion LOL), but LOVE the app and the way it finds new music for me. Thank you of the help. Noticeable improvement.

SmartPlug - You rock. Playing now... I do love the Tidal app. Not such a fan of MQA (don't want to start that discussion LOL), but LOVE the app and the way it finds new music for me. Thank you of the help. Noticeable improvement.
I have full decoder and I could hear the difference between their hifi vs master. Better separation, more texture. I like the sound of master in comparison to amazon uhd. Again, that’s me other would disagree.

Just curious why WiiM Pro can’t do the full unfold to 192kHz, and limited to 88 only.

Is this due to hardware limitation? It would save a ton of money to skip having to add external full MQA DAC.

Just curious why WiiM Pro can’t do the full unfold to 192kHz, and limited to 88 only.

Is this due to hardware limitation? It would save a ton of money to skip having to add external full MQA DAC.
Hardware limitation and costs - if they could do a full unfold, they’d need to pay for the MQA licence and pass that on to the consumer.

FWIW - I find the Qobuz app excellent at recommending new music - etc - if it’s available in your county. And cheaper than Tidal - which I just left. (No stones to throw at Tidal - its a fine service.)
41948F79-F501-4E6D-BFFB-EFDF2070F635.jpeg

Hmm, the following settings seems to have a bug:

• "Line Out" and "Coaxial" with MQA Core Decoder "On"
  • External MQA capability is set to "Off" (directly connected to AVR)

In this setup, Wiim Pro doesn't seem to do the first unfold anymore, all MQA tracks are stuck at 44.1/48.

If I put a DAC in between, then the first unfold seems to happen again.

Is this a beta issue? Is anyone seeing the same thing?

In this setup, Wiim Pro doesn't seem to do the first unfold anymore, all MQA tracks are stuck at 44.1/48.

Where did you get that info?

This depends on the controlling app.
Got this support answer: TIDAL MQA only support TIDAL Connect right now, we will support TIDAL in Wiim App soon.
Question asked:
Hello support, from within the wiim app Tidal Masters don't work for me. Quality for Tidal is set to Master and MQA beta is on with DAC set to no MQA support. Playback screen shows Master 24/48. Using the Tidal app (via Tidal connect) playback screen of the wiim app shows Master 24/96. The display of the DAC shows bit depth and sample rate of the wiim app playback screen

So using Tidal app with WIIM Mini as streaming target the first unfold will be done by the Mini if configuered to do.
Using WIIM app streaming Tidal content to WIIM Mini at the moment will not unfold.

Hi WimmFan,

Same as the SPDIF out, both "Line Out" and "Coaxial" support MQA. As of now, you need use the TIDAL Connect to stream the music to the WiiM Pro for MQA tracks. Please give it a try. If you still can't get MQA on "Line Out" or "Coaxial" ports, please shot us a ticket from the WiiM Home App so we can troubleshoot for you. Thank you!

Back