Wiim Pro - Tidal MQA Masters & Linear Power Supplies

vinnie1

Hi, new Wiim Pro owner here, enjoying streaming Qobuz and Tidal files into my Devialet Expert Pro using the Devialet's onboard dac. However, on Tidal I don't appear to be able to stream Master files in MQA quality whereas on Quboz i have no problem streaming at 24/192 - does the Wiim limit the streaming quality of Tidal via the app ?

Also, another topic - if I am only using the Pro as a streamer via SPDIF out connected to my Devialet via toslink cable i.e. not using the analogue outs, would there be any benefit in adding a linear power supply to to the Wiim to improve sound quality further and if so, do any users have recommendations on which one to go for ?

Thanks all.

Still have problems with "audiophile". At least with this silly and in a way misleading word, made for feeling a little bit "special". For me HiFi is absolutely enough.
The border between "really better" and snake oil is often fluid. Quite sure no one can trust only in measurements. We all know discrepancies between real life and theory.
My approach "after all this years" is normally:
Can I hear a difference? If it sounds "better" for me I buy.
If I can hear a degradation for me I do not buy.
Personal strong belief is: If one likes, loves or simply wants to have any item (and can afford without changing his life style) it has to be reason enough. No forum has to patronize or be a joy killer. It is the buyer's money and fun! There are bombshell themes in hifi since decades. And my impression is that a bunch of people is only waiting for this. Do not ridicule someone for his actions or questions. Give an answer without personal tendency and with respect. Or give no answer. And for the ASR people: You all know very well that there is at least so much pro as contra for your approach. I understand that you like to be seen as the creme de la creme, but do not expect that reaction from everyone. For me debates about this things is pure fun, but making people feel unsafe or wrong treated is bs.
Written in my own name.
Wonderful and refreshing Achim. We are on the same page.

I was raised on vinyl, and I cannot remember many negative discussions on this subject....it was always a journey .....a learning curve....and from other people's experiences we tweaked & improved. It went a bit silly though, when they started recommending putting paper under the sofa feet :ROFLMAO:

With the progression of digital, it seems to have polarised some people's thinking that its all ones & zeros, and the sound cannot be altered. I remember early on in the debate (also believing its all ones and zeros), how come I could hear a difference when I changed cable?

Also, one other point is the system in question is never mentioned. For sure, if you are using some Bluetooth speakers you will not hear a difference. But if you have a resolving system and are capable of critical listening, like vinyl, digital tweaks will make a difference.

As you say, people are welcome to an opinion and can take a scientific approach, but there is no need to shoot down a fellow enthusiast that hears a difference or to ask what personal qualifications the listener has! There is a forum for that already but not here.....

Opinions expressed are in my own name, and YMMV.

The culture of dispute in this forum here is still mostly excellent. The "What are you listening" thread f.e. is one of the few reasons to be here so often even after putting the Pro on reserve. As you wrote there are forums. Everyone shall write whatever he or she thinks by declaring it as his personal feeling. But a too "absolute" approach will always wake me up. 😉

The culture of dispute in this forum here is still mostly excellent. The "What are you listening" thread f.e. is one of the few reasons to be here so often even after putting the Pro on reserve. As you wrote there are forums. Everyone shall write whatever he or she thinks by declaring it as his personal feeling. But a too "absolute" approach will always wake me up. 😉
TBH, I rarely frequent the forums. Only in this case, since acquiring the Wiim Pro I joined to educate myself on its workings. I thank the members here that helped me engage UHD with Amazon Music and the role of AlexaCast which I was totally unaware of.
Apart from that, I tried to contribute my experiences on this forum thinking others may benefit, often getting shot down by the opposition. I dont really care because I enjoy my system immensely, having spent half a century to reach my position....but my contribution will remain sparse as I do not feel the need to have to justify myself.

Measurements all day, every day for me.

There are just too many variables that affect personal opinion to make it relevant, much like asking someone's thoughts about a painting.

The easiest way would be to ignore all these 50 cents doers and popcorn bringers even if all what they do is trying to provoke.

But I'm not a lover of easy ways, so I will react if I choose to react to statements that are themselves unproven and contradict everything that has been proven so far.

To bring this to an end from my side. The only thing I want is to make sure you and most of Amir's cult are not the exclusive owners of wisdom. Are such general opinions already able to provoke you?
Good time @all

The easiest way would be to ignore all these 50 cents doers and popcorn bringers even if all what they do is trying to provoke.

But I'm not a lover of easy ways, so I will react if I choose to react to statements that are themselves unproven and contradict everything that has been proven so far.
While I agree with your statement about not backing down when things are definitely not kosher. But in this case, I think Mister Vinnie, by tossing a flaming paperbag of dog doo on the front porch, was I indeed fishing for possible converts, as Achim stated earlier or he was just getting his jollys reading the reactions. In my experience, there has to be some give and take, as far as these objective vs. subjective dust ups go. That's my two cents and YMMV. :)

The thing about opinions and beliefs is that they don’t need to be proven. And everyone is entitled to their own view whether that view has been proven or disproven. We can disagree, that’s the way of the world, but I think we’ve probably had enough back on forth on this.

The thing about being entitled to express any opinions is that there are some limitations here. I could bring spreading false statements and I can guess that most of us can imagine some examples of objectionable behaviors. I'm not trying to say that audio opinions and beliefs are part of this, it's just a general note. And yes, we’ve had enough back on forth on this.

Back