Wiim Pro - Tidal MQA Masters & Linear Power Supplies

vinnie1

Hi, new Wiim Pro owner here, enjoying streaming Qobuz and Tidal files into my Devialet Expert Pro using the Devialet's onboard dac. However, on Tidal I don't appear to be able to stream Master files in MQA quality whereas on Quboz i have no problem streaming at 24/192 - does the Wiim limit the streaming quality of Tidal via the app ?

Also, another topic - if I am only using the Pro as a streamer via SPDIF out connected to my Devialet via toslink cable i.e. not using the analogue outs, would there be any benefit in adding a linear power supply to to the Wiim to improve sound quality further and if so, do any users have recommendations on which one to go for ?

Thanks all.

Also, another topic - if I am only using the Pro as a streamer via SPDIF out connected to my Devialet via toslink cable i.e. not using the analogue outs, would there be any benefit in adding a linear power supply to to the Wiim to improve sound quality further and if so, do any users have recommendations on which one to go for ?

Thanks all.

I'm in the camp that says if you have a competent DAC, then adding an LPS to the WiiM won't impact its bit perfect output - after all, you can't make the 1's any taller nor the 0's any rounder ;)

Hi Vinnie. If you're UK based, I'm using:

Temple Audio Supercharger 5V

Doesn't affect the 1's & 0's, but reduces noise which translates more depth to the soundstage and reduction in glare/harshness.

Wait for the ASR brigade to jump in and demand double blind tests, or ask for a scientific thesis to corroborate this statement :ROFLMAO:

Lets see who will be first.............

Last edited:
@Brantome
I always try to be nice as possible, you may know 😉 Sometimes I do not succeed. Quite sure some OAs will forget to listen to their white noise for a while, make their usual courtship dance here and try to find new open wide-eyed disciples 😉
My only issue is that they long strictly for acceptance for their statements. But if the find a lets say newbie or something like that, they love to present him or her with a ring in his nose like a dancing bear. Just a little more respect.

@Brantome
I always try to be nice as possible, you may know 😉 Sometimes I do not succeed. Quite sure some OAs will forget to listen to their white noise for a while, make their usual courtship dance here and try to find new open wide-eyed disciples 😉
My only issue is that they long strictly for acceptance for their statements. But if the find a lets say newbie or something like that, they love to present him or her with a ring in his nose like a dancing bear. Just a little more respect.
That does conjure up some weird images I’d rather not have in my head 🤣 🤣

I'm gonna dance for you, @vinnie1 , during my break between white and pink noise.
No, LPS connected to the WiiM will not improve the quality of spdif trasmission via optical and sent over toslink thus it won't make the sound better.

I almost forgot my recommendation. If you care for low noise PSU, look for allo Nirvana SMPS. Pretty toy with a helpful switch for an earthed or floating DC side.

Last edited:
Better, much better. Sure it will not touch you in any way 😉
Stay cool all you Oscilloscoping Amirish. But please make clear that most of what you write is your very own (narrow) view on things and let people know that you are writing NOT about music. It is what I call typical "first semester behavior". You do not have eaten wisdom with spoons.
So, out for pub quiz. With some beer and neither white nor pink noise.

Better, much better. Sure it will not touch you in any way 😉
Stay cool all you Oscilloscoping Amirish. But please make clear that most of what you write is your very own (narrow) view on things and let people know that you are writing NOT about music. It is what I call typical "first semester behavior". You do not have eaten wisdom with spoons.
So, out for pub quiz. With some beer and neither white nor pink noise.
Agree Achim. Personally, I would never use a wall wart to power any piece of audiophile equipment....and even iFi make a range of audio optimised power supplies....or is that snake oil ? :unsure:

Agree Achim. Personally, I would never use a wall wart to power any piece of audiophile equipment....and even iFi make a range of audio optimised power supplies....or is that snake oil ? :unsure:

Still have problems with "audiophile". At least with this silly and in a way misleading word, made for feeling a little bit "special". For me HiFi is absolutely enough.
The border between "really better" and snake oil is often fluid. Quite sure no one can trust only in measurements. We all know discrepancies between real life and theory.
My approach "after all this years" is normally:
Can I hear a difference? If it sounds "better" for me I buy.
If I can hear a degradation for me I do not buy.
Personal strong belief is: If one likes, loves or simply wants to have any item (and can afford without changing his life style) it has to be reason enough. No forum has to patronize or be a joy killer. It is the buyer's money and fun! There are bombshell themes in hifi since decades. And my impression is that a bunch of people is only waiting for this. Do not ridicule someone for his actions or questions. Give an answer without personal tendency and with respect. Or give no answer. And for the ASR people: You all know very well that there is at least so much pro as contra for your approach. I understand that you like to be seen as the creme de la creme, but do not expect that reaction from everyone. For me debates about this things is pure fun, but making people feel unsafe or wrong treated is bs.
Written in my own name.

does the Wiim limit the streaming quality of Tidal via the app ?
Does the Devialet support MQA? I thought not.
Anyway, it used to be that you could only get MQA into / through the wiim using tidal connect.
iirc, that changed recently-ish, and it now works using tidal within the wiim app too.

If you want the first unfold (up to 96khz) then you'll need to go to the Device settings, Audio Settings, MQA Beta menu (no, I don't know why it's still called beta, having been available for a number of months now), enable MQA Beta, then choose your dac's mqa capability, which I think would be 'No MQA'.

Last edited:
As far as I know Devialet was one of the high-end manufacturers which answered all requests for MQA with a clear "No, we believe MQA is a deterioration for sound quality!" Never read they changed their mind.

Back