nextURI failed to load when streaming over UPnP

timw99

I'm trying to stream to my WiiM Pro using the UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin on Logitech Media Server. I don't know if this is a WiiM issue or an issue with the plugin, but whenever I play any files with the gapless setting to 'yes', about half of the queue will be skipped before it starts playing a track. Logs show the following error whenever it skips:

[22:28:42.608281] _SyncNotifState:643 [0xb4e6a0]: nextURI http://192.168.0.29:38225/bridge-3.flac failed, requesting LMS to go next

If I change the gapless setting to forced, it's fixed but then I'm obviously missing gapless playback. DSOTM is at least 50% less enjoyable without it. 🙃
Any suggestions?

Edit: I'm also open to other suggestions for playing files from my NAS. Been at this all day. Using other DLNA servers as well to play straight from the app but they're missing stuff like search, don't order tracks correctly or only send low res album art.

Last edited:
Scrubbing and skipping tracks from LMS to the WiiM UPnP interface has been problematic (or at last it used to be), that's been acknowledged.
I know there's a new version of the UPnP bridge in development, which may address that.
But there is no reason to be using the WiiM with LMS and UPnP unless its a Mini - none of these issues exist if it is a Pro/Pro+ and is used as a Squeezelite client

But there is no reason to be using the WiiM with LMS and UPnP unless its a Mini - none of these issues exist if it is a Pro/Pro+ and is used as a Squeezelite client
Absolutely.
In the post they alluded to problems with scrubbing and skipping across what appeared to be various combinations including when using BubbleUPnP, so I was clarifying where that problem does exist, as I don't believe it exists anywhere else.

I hardly ever use my Mini these days. In fact I am contemplating selling it because it is never going to work quite how I want it to whereas the Pro is perfect. In fact the Pro is even better than I wanted it to be since it can also act as an Alexa speaker for SWMBO and can switch to LMS use for me and back again without any button pressing / fiddling whatsoever.

There's the BubbleUPnP app and the BubbleUPnP server.
The BubbleUPnP server can proxy renderers to both DLNA or OpenHome devices. It can also optionally transcode the audio.

I'm not sure I've actually tried to see if BubbleUPnP server can see squeezelite, although I'm 99% sure it can't. I think you might be getting confused because the WiiM has so many interfaces e.g. UPnP, Chromecast and squeezelite.
Maybe so. But keep in mind my tests were only using wiim’s DLNA server as music source. No other wiim features were involved.

Pro has advantage of using as roon endpoint to replace LMS. But if you don’t want to pay for roon, then LMS is your next best choice if you want to stream your own content at home since wiim (none pro) does not have usb to plugin the hard drive. So naturally BLNA UPNP is the only option here. Yes! Problem is most likely only going to affect wiim mini

For wiim’s case I only used upnp feature to compare to others. I am writing software on music services that’s why I tested volumio, LMS and chromecast as well.

For wiim’s case I only used upnp feature to compare to others. I am writing software on music services that’s why I tested volumio, LMS and chromecast as well.
Oh I see.

Would be interested to know where you saw problems with BubbleUPnP (app or server).
1. Playback time inaccurate
2. Can’t fast forwards by time. It will skip to next song or stop playback
3. Refuse to fast forward to next song

I guessed upnp is a wild Wild West. Even manufacturers who are supporting it has partially their own customizations.

Although bubbleupnp does solve many problems but it really lacks of iOS app support. Almost no controller app works 100% out of box now. Android has native bubbleupnp app support though. That’s one problem I see in this solution.

Other than that I think bubbleupnp does a great job as a middleman to alleviate many upnp devices problems. Even through transcoding, itself runs fairly well!

To use bubbleupnp controller app to push music is another minor annoyance since most of users would probably prefer their native music sources app! For example! Using tidal app for tidal (not using wiim or bubbleupnp controller app to browse music).

The problem here is! I use Spotify for Spotify connect. I use Apple Music for Airplay. But comes to Amazon music I have to use wiim app for bit perfect. Oh wait!! I need to use wiim app for upnp for home service (not high res). Yet I need bubbleupnp app for pushing high res home contents to my wiim? That’s just too many apps to keep track to just enjoy the music don’t you agree?

The problem here is! I use Spotify for Spotify connect. I use Apple Music for Airplay. But comes to Amazon music I have to use wiim app for bit perfect. Oh wait!! I need to use wiim app for upnp for home service (not high res). Yet I need bubbleupnp app for pushing high res home contents to my wiim? That’s just too many apps to keep track to just enjoy the music don’t you agree?
Not necessarily - many users prefer using the native app (or in the case of upnp, best in breed client apps like BubbleUPNP) and casting to players due to them usually having wider range of features irrespective of what target device is in use. The APIs that streaming services supply to third parties like WiiM are usually not as feature rich and don’t have access to all the stations or recommendations that the native app has.

As an aside, are you in a region where AlexaCast for Amazon Music isn’t available?

Not necessarily - many users prefer using the native app (or in the case of upnp, best in breed client apps like BubbleUPNP) and casting to players due to them usually having wider range of features irrespective of what target device is in use. The APIs that streaming services supply to third parties like WiiM are usually not as feature rich and don’t have access to all the stations or recommendations that the native app has.

As an aside, are you in a region where AlexaCast for Amazon Music isn’t available?
I use Alexa cast but for some reason it downsamples…. I haven’t fully tested all scenarios yet!

Yes! Its true native app normally has better features! This is like the argument of if you would like multiple remote controls for your devices at home or just use one universal one. For the simplicity universal control also has its appeal. Just look at the roon!

I personally would like to have both options! Instead of one or the other or hybrid (which is the most confusing part)

I use Alexa cast but for some reason it downsamples…. I haven’t fully tested all scenarios yet!

Yes! Its true native app normally has better features! This is like the argument of if you would like multiple remote controls for your devices at home or just use one universal one. For the simplicity universal control also has its appeal. Just look at the roon!
Or the harmony hub and remote ;)

If you are using the WiiM mini, make sure you have Amazon Music HD/UHD selected under settings (the little cog) on the Alexa page in the WiiM Home app.

Or the harmony hub and remote ;)

If you are using the WiiM mini, make sure you have Amazon Music HD/UHD selected under settings (the little cog) on the Alexa page in the WiiM Home app.
That’s first thing I checked! The weird thing is downsampling. Not sure due to alexacast or amazon music automatically selected lower quality of source for me when I playback through alecacast vs straight from wiim?

That’s first thing I checked! The weird thing is downsampling. Not sure due to alexacast or amazon music automatically selected lower quality of source for me when I playback through alecacast vs straight from wiim?
There shouldn’t be any difference. Have you checked the settings in the amazon music app to ensure its streaming audio quality is at the highest setting?

And to be doubly sure, have you enabled HD/UHD in both places in the WiiM Home app I.e. under Alexa/settings and under Amazon Music/settings?

Yep! I checked everywhere! Keep in mind when I use my iOS device to listen to Amazon music directly I use an usb dac! So yes! I am sure I turned on anything UHD as possible.

And no! I didn’t switch between ultra hd vs atoms. As atoms only limited to cd quality

Strange then. I would only see 16/44.1 if I were using airplay, and/or ChromeCast in the case of my Pro. Being able to support lossless HD/UHD casting from the Amazon Music app is one of the main USPs of WiiM devices.

Strange then. I would only see 16/44.1 if I were using airplay, and/or ChromeCast in the case of my Pro. Being able to support lossless HD/UHD casting from the Amazon Music app is one of the main USPs of WiiM devices.
It’s still UHD. Just songs over 96khz but sometimes alexacast decided to go down to 24/96 only. I haven’t found the exact pattern yet!

Back