OPUS support

hyperion

Please add OPUS support : it's the de facto standard for audio coding in 2023 and the best quality codec.

Most media servers are using OPUS by default.

I have done tests with both Ogg-VORBIS and-Ogg-OPUS : Wiim can't play OPUS.

Not that I’ve seen - have you tried raising a feature request ticket thru the feedback section of the WiiM Home app to ask WiiM directly?
Also, if you are talking about using another media server to play on your WiiM device, can’t that transcode OPUS to Wav or similar?

I wouldn’t say Opus is even a mainstream audio codec and certainly not the de facto standard. That accolade surely sits with FLAC?

Which media servers are using opus as default?

FLAC is my standard for Home Music collection. Anyway the files that are cached by most modern apps like Symfonium, etc.. are OPUS. OPUS is "listening transparent" aka "FLAC quality" above 160kbps : it's also a good way to save bandwidth , jimho.

OPUS is the de facto "modern" standard for music streaming.

May be I am living on a different planet...but today bandwidth as an important factor while we are talking about HiRes, bit perfect and so on? "Modern" in my eyes is to have NO bandwidth limitations.

May be I am living on a different planet...but today bandwidth as an important factor while we are talking about HiRes, bit perfect and so on? "Modern" in my eyes is to have NO bandwidth limitations.
I’d make the same point - why talk of lossy compressed formats these days when we have lossless formats like FLAC, particularly in the context of WiiM’s bit perfect playback? I wouldn’t consider any lossy codec as “modern” when we have relatively unlimited storage and bandwidth.

Wiim is the only of my devices that does not support OPUS. Even My Chromecast Audio plays OPUS with no problem.

Please add OPUS support.

OPUS is transparent above 128kbps (aka : "bit perfect indistinguishable" on a very high level audiophile system).

I use OPUS 256kbps, which is total overkill quality at 1/4 of the storage and bandwidth size of FLAC.

People that have more than 30000 songs in their media library need OPUS.

People that have more than 30000 songs in their media library need OPUS.
You may /need/ OPUS as is your prerogative, but people in general don’t necessarily need it for audiophile domestic use. Many of us are more than happy using FLAC which doesn’t rely on any psycho-acoustic lossy compression (or whatever it uses to achieve its small file sizes) given that the cost of storage and network bandwidth are comparatively more available and at a lesser cost than when these lossy, space saving codecs were invented.

If you haven’t already, raise a feature request ticket to WiiM thru feedback in the app.

As far as I remember OPUS had his main advantage as real time solution back in times when bandwidth and storage costs are more important than they are today.
And I am, as very often but not always 😉, with @Brantome. And this "standard" and "we need" has not found a single support since the first posting. But sure @hyperion can send a request, but I think that WiiM has other priorities.

I came here looking for OPUS support too, but I guess I'll convert my OPUS to FLAC...

I don't think Wiim Amp plays AAC either.

AAC file is listed but no sound when played.
OPUS, mp4 is not listed at all.

This is using Wiim Amp desktop app connected to NAS via DLNA.

You could use a server that is capable of transcoding Opus to your WiiM. LMS will do I believe.

Thanks for the suggestion for LMS, I've come across it. I already have Emby running fine but it's on a custom network, not Host or Bridge. And Wiim Amp doesn't see it because it's supposedly a limitation of DLNA—the docker needs to run as Host (read it on the Emby forum).
So I installed a lightweight MiniDLNA docker which got Wiim Amp to detect the NAS and play the files on it.

I'm probably confused by how streaming works.

When Wiim Amp is streaming from a DLNA server, the amp is decoding the data to play the music. And if it doesn't support those formats, it can't decode and play them.

But with LMS, LMS will transcode the data into music? And Wiim Amp doesn't do anything except stream the music between the NAS and the speakers?

As I have no Opus files I can’t test but LMS certainly has the capability to transcode Opus to various other formats which should then be playable by a WiiM Pro/Pro+/Amp in Squeezelite mode. The Mini maybe not.

LMS will need sox installed

IMG_6936.jpeg

I don't think Wiim Amp plays AAC either.

AAC file is listed but no sound when played.
OPUS, mp4 is not listed at all.

This is using Wiim Amp desktop app connected to NAS via DLNA.
My WiiM Amp plays AAC encoded MP4 files just fine, either from my NAS (Synology DLNA) or from my USB thumb drive (WiiM's DLNA, apparently based on miniDLNA).

I had not really heard about the de facto standard for audio coding in 2023 so far.

My WiiM Amp plays AAC encoded MP4 files just fine, either from my NAS (Synology DLNA) or from my USB thumb drive (WiiM's DLNA, apparently based on miniDLNA).

That's so odd. I'll do more research. Thanks for confirming!

Back