ROON KILLER

Silly question time. Are Roon and LMS services for those who have large libraries of stored music files only?
If one only streams from a service provider such as Qobuz etc, is there any point/advantage to getting either of the above mentioned services please?

Silly question time. Are Roon and LMS services for those who have large libraries of stored music files only?
Roon works most completely for those who have large libraries as well as use Qobuz and/or Tidal as a streaming service. LMS is also useful for combining those functions/services and others, but feels a bit more cobbled together.
If one only streams from a service provider such as Qobuz etc, is there any point/advantage to getting either of the above mentioned services please?
The value-add would be subtle at best, and in the WiiMosphere, you could replicate most of what Roon or LMS would get you. If Qobuz delivers on Qobuz Connect this year, using its interface would arguably provide a better experience than Roon, LMS, or WHA itself.

Last edited:
Roon works most completely for those who have large libraries as well as use Qobuz and/or Tidal as a streaming service. LMS is also useful for combining those functions/services and others, but feels a bit more cobbled together.

The value-add would be subtle at best, and in the WiiMosphere, you could replicate most of what Roon or LMS would get you. If Qobuz delivers on Qobuz Connect this year, using its interface would arguably provide a better experience than Roon or LMS.
So for someone such as myself, it just wouldn’t be worth using because I only stream using a dedicated service provider? Thanks

So for someone such as myself, it just wouldn’t be worth using because I only stream using a dedicated service provider? Thanks

What does "worth using" mean? LMS is free software, and it runs on hardware as humble as a $35 Raspberry Pi.

The software offers many things, not the least of which is streaming to multiple endpoints ("rooms" or "zones"), any combination of local server content (i.e. your own music library should you own one), or streaming services such as Qobuz, Spotify, Deezer, as well as internet radio, different streams to different rooms simultaneously, or synced multiroom play.

Whether or not you've already got those bases adequately covered via the WiiM Home app and WiiM endpoint devices is a question only you can answer. If you find you are lacking something, then perhaps that something is better served by using the WiiM device solely as an endpoint "player" (in it's Squeezelite mode), and adding the very capable and low cost LMS solution on something as inexpensive and low energy consumption as a Raspberry Pi.

What does "worth using" mean? LMS is free software, and it runs on hardware as humble as a $35 Raspberry Pi.

The software offers many things, not the least of which is streaming to multiple endpoints ("rooms" or "zones"), any combination of local server content (i.e. your own music library should you own one), or streaming services such as Qobuz, Spotify, Deezer, as well as internet radio, different streams to different rooms simultaneously, or synced multiroom play.

Whether or not you've already got those bases adequately covered via the WiiM Home app and WiiM endpoint devices is a question only you can answer. If you find you are lacking something, then perhaps that something is better served by using the WiiM device solely as an endpoint "player" (in it's Squeezelite mode), and adding the very capable and low cost LMS solution on something as inexpensive and low energy consumption as a Raspberry Pi.
I have one system consisting of streamer, DAC, amp and speakers purely for 2 channel music. I use a tablet to stream from a streaming service. I have zero stored music anywhere on any device. I do not use any form of multi room system etc.
What I’d like to know, is what would Roon/LMS add to my experience that I don’t already have? In that sense, is it worth it to me (not a financial worth), or would it offer no real benefit to the way I listen now? Thanks

I have one system consisting of streamer, DAC, amp and speakers purely for 2 channel music. I use a tablet to stream from a streaming service. I have zero stored music anywhere on any device. I do not use any form of multi room system etc.
What I’d like to know, is what would Roon/LMS add to my experience that I don’t already have? In that sense, is it worth it to me (not a financial worth), or would it offer no real benefit to the way I listen now? Thanks

Probably nothing. However, given that LMS is free, and Roon offers a free trial, you can easily find out for yourself.

Probably nothing. However, given that LMS is free, and Roon offers a free trial, you can easily find out for yourself.
Thanks. Not being awkward, just no idea what they do, or if they have any benefit to my usage. I’ll take a look online to see what they offer

Thanks. Not being awkward, just no idea what they do, or if they have any benefit to my usage. I’ll take a look online to see what they offer
Even if you don’t have a library of your own music, LMS offers a much better Radio Paradise and BBC Sounds interface, as well as offering music&artist information on screen such as shown in the post linked below, even for radio stations. You can quickly set it up on a PC to check it out and if it looks like it might be of use, you can then think about setting it up on a Raspberry Pi or such so you don’t need your PC on 24x7.

Who needs Roon?

Somebody who is impressed by slick branding which came up with the name Roon!

LMS is currently stuck with its less than aspiring 3-letter acronym 😅

Even if you don’t have a library of your own music, LMS offers a much better Radio Paradise and BBC Sounds interface, as well as offering music&artist information on screen such as shown in the post linked below, even for radio stations. You can quickly set it up on a PC to check it out and if it looks like it might be of use, you can then think about setting it up on a Raspberry Pi or such so you don’t need your PC on 24x7.

Thanks. I don’t use radio stations though any more since emigrating. And believe it or not I don’t own a PC, only tablet and phone!

There is now an option to install the LMS software on an android phone or tablet.
Only after you choose the right audiophile gum for the mic hole, get the proper Coax cable that both fits the Pro or Pro Plus and sounds good, or the RCA cables to the Analogue outs can you decide whether LMS is your alternative to Roon
It's a step by step transistion

Only after you choose the right audiophile gum for the mic hole, get the proper Coax cable that both fits the Pro or Pro Plus and sounds good, or the RCA cables to the Analogue outs can you decide whether LMS is your alternative to Roon
It's a step by step transistion
No idea what you're talking about... LMS and Roon are just software. One is free, the other costs. 150 credits a year. One runs on a range of devices, the other is less versatile.

No idea what you're talking about... LMS and Roon are just software. One is free, the other costs. 150 credits a year. One runs on a range of devices, the other is less versatile.
I was being facetious
Also, I'm a heavy proponent of LMS, even though I did like Roon for that month I tried it
I just don't like paying over $800 to have it lifetime or even more to rent it

Back