ROON KILLER

I never stop listening. The two are not exclusive of each other. These features are for us collectors that like to have things just so. If they are of no interest to others it’s easy to not see there importance but it’s this level of detail that Roon allows and no other app does. It allows for much more streamlined experience, LMS for me now is just too clumsy and offers little in the way of managing library data in way I find useful. The artist info is too hidden and it really doesn’t make me explore at all. I like the journey it gives me. This alone is worth the price of admission, plus all the other features I use daily.
As long as Roon will be present on the market I will remain glad using it and will do so. If there will come any for me important changes due to the new ownership it will be early enough to think about.
What sometimes really annoys me is a very often noticeable approach from (a few) die-hard LMS users. Why not simply accept there are two possibilities and not blaming people not interested in saving a few Euros but making their audio life more convenient? If in this forum here difficulties and questions appear it is so much more often related to LMS than to Roon. Soon after the Pro was Roon ready the users sat back and listened. No further questions. It did what it has to do. Simply stop this moaning about the price, the bloated software and so on. (Sometimes, not always, it feels the more complicated approach to LMS gives this little special feeling being an superior insider 😉)
Made my decision years ago for an easy to achieve package and the lack (or joy) of IT knowledge did the rest. No lust to write command lines, learning Linux and find out the meaning of "sudo". Most in Roon is simple and self explaining, it found my music on NAS and USB disks without any problem in minutes and managed tagging and ripping as easy as possible. And the possibilities to customize are countless.
Great also to have a brilliant room correction via ARC and Muse.
Even if we wouldn't have the (long amortized) lifetime options it would be worth 12 €/month per license.
So, lets stay side by side listening to music and remain happy that the situation is how it is and gives us such a choice.

Last edited:
It’s far from perfect and I make this abundantly clear on the forums, but even with its foibles it manages to eclipse everything else.

I am worried about the acquisition these things tend to go one way and I have been on the end of this twice through work so have experience, it’s never an easy transition and rarely does the absorbed company continue on as it did not for the better, but until that time comes and I can find something at least equal if not better than I will be with it until it goes one way or another.

Tried it again last week and it annoyed me too much within 5 mins it was disabled again.

Which means you approached it in a way that produced a foregone conclusion.

So, briefly, what makes Roon so great?

I dunno, if the goal is to actually listen to music then I don't see how Roon is better than other less expensive options. If the goal is endless metadata/information, constant searching, and music only as a background activity then Roon is great, assuming one likes the Roon Core memory leak that requires periodic reboots just to continue functioning.

In LMS you can have a library of local and streamed items - can't get more unified than that, can you?

Good point, many folks seem to think thats somehow a unique feature of Roon.

I prefer PlexAmp over LMS it and is now my backup choice but doesn’t still come close enough to being Roon.

That's very interesting, I guess horses for courses then, I absolutely hated all things Plex and think it's frustrating mess.

As long as Roon will be present on the market I will remain glad using it and will do so. If there will come any for me important changes due to the new ownership it will be early enough to think about.

Absolutely fine, and mostly accepted by the audio enthusiast market segment. Everyone should be allowed to like what they like and enjoy it. What becomes tiresome for many of us is the massive Roon cheerleading that suggests it is the one and only viable solution and light years ahead of anything else. This is simply untrue if the goal is to listen to music.

So, lets stay side by side listening to music and remain happy that the situation is how it is and gives us such a choice.

For sure and many of us are not married to one thing at all. I've got LMS, and DLNA/UPnP in the form of JRiver, and AssetUPnP too for the server side, while endpoints range between Sonicorbiter (Sonore/Small Green Computer), piCorePlayer, Moode, Volumio, and now WiiM as well. I have not futzed around with the CLI for any of that, and once configured these are pretty damn well set and forget, though I do concede the initial setup/learning curve is not as easy as Roon is.

Absolutely fine, and mostly accepted by the audio enthusiast market segment. Everyone should be allowed to like what they like and enjoy it. What becomes tiresome for many of us is the massive Roon cheerleading that suggests it is the one and only viable solution and light years ahead of anything else. This is simply untrue if the goal is to listen to music.

For sure and many of us are not married to one thing at all. I've got LMS, and DLNA/UPnP in the form of JRiver, and AssetUPnP too for the server side, while endpoints range between Sonicorbiter (Sonore/Small Green Computer), piCorePlayer, Moode, Volumio, and now WiiM as well. I have not futzed around with the CLI for any of that, and once configured these are pretty damn well set and forget, though I do concede the initial setup/learning curve is not as easy as Roon is.
To quote you: Horses for courses 😉

I find this topic quite intriguing.
I am, as most will know, firmly in the LMS camp probably because I purchased SB devices and “bought in” long before either Roon or Plex even existed but it does not mean I am oblivious to the strengths of those products. I have tried both Roon and Plex but although I run a Plex server for video I don’t use it at all for music. I find LMS to be a more rewarding experience.
What about Roon? I thought that it was good and better in terms of metadata exploitation than LMS but I didn’t think it was worth the cost not only in terms of subscription but in terms of its higher spec hardware requirement. But that was my opinion for me and me alone. I can fully understand if you have the cash and no inclination to learn any Linux then for such people it will be well worth the money. My 2p only.

I am, as most will know, firmly in the LMS camp probably because I purchased SB devices and “bought in” long before either Roon or Plex even existed but it does not mean I am oblivious to the strengths of those products. I have tried both Roon and Plex but although I run a Plex server for video I don’t use it at all for music. I find LMS to be a more rewarding experience.
What about Roon? I thought that it was good and better in terms of metadata exploitation than LMS but I didn’t think it was worth the cost not only in terms of subscription but in terms of its higher spec hardware requirement. But that was my opinion for me and me alone. I can fully understand if you have the cash and no inclination to learn any Linux then for such people it will be well worth the money. My 2p only.
LMS runs on a pi (using picoreplayer to install - Linux skills not needed). It also installs on Windows.

I use Linux every day and more than capable of maintaining LMS did for years. Just didn’t suit my needs and wants at the time. Also lots of the core base of users are Linux using people.

Roons whole approach of integration of streaming and local library was unique as was many other areas it had that no others offered or could match at the time. It also was a lot more WAF friendly in operation and was focused on getting in hardware which appealed more than diy that LMS became. Overall it was just a better more polished experience. I’m not made of money but could see its worth and what it brought to the table.

I had already give up on UPnP/DLNA at that point and as I had a Squeezebox eco system and it supported it, it was a simple transition as I was using a Touch, Radio, a few pis running picore player as well as an old O2 Joggler running SqueezeOs.

Yes LMS now offers some integration of library and streaming now but that’s pretty recent and still is basic in comparison but a big improvement on what it was but not enough to pull me back. It still feels like the same old thing just a new skin which worked okay but not amazing on my phone. This level of integration is also offered in Plex as well as Innuos which is even more expensive as you need their hardware.

So no, it’s not about having lots of money or being put off by Linux. It just happens to suit some people better, same reason you continue to use LMS as it suits your needs just fine. Horse for courses in the end it’s all about the music, well is for me and currently Roon enriches my experience with it.

I use Linux every day and more than capable of maintaining LMS did for years. Just didn’t suit my needs and wants at the time. Also lots of the core base of users are Linux using people.

Roons whole approach of integration of streaming and local library was unique as was many other areas it had that no others offered or could match at the time. It also was a lot more WAF friendly in operation and was focused on getting in hardware which appealed more than diy that LMS became. Overall it was just a better more polished experience. I’m not made of money but could see its worth and what it brought to the table.

I had already give up on UPnP/DLNA at that point and as I had a Squeezebox eco system and it supported it, it was a simple transition as I was using a Touch, Radio, a few pis running picore player as well as an old O2 Joggler running SqueezeOs.

Yes LMS now offers some integration of library and streaming now but that’s pretty recent and still is basic in comparison but a big improvement on what it was but not enough to pull me back. It still feels like the same old thing just a new skin which worked okay but not amazing on my phone. This level of integration is also offered in Plex as well as Innuos which is even more expensive as you need their hardware.

So no, it’s not about having lots of money or being put off by Linux. It just happens to suit some people better, same reason you continue to use LMS as it suits your needs just fine. Horse for courses in the end it’s all about the music, well is for me and currently Roon enriches my experience with it.
Perhaps it’s not about those things for you but clearly it is for others. Horses for courses.

I was more often intrigued by the "LMS camp". But as I wrote very clearly it is fine to have the choice. To be honest what intrigues me most of all is always the approach via the price. Personally I feel the subscription reasonable and affordable and so do surely many. And that has not to be judged I strongly belief. This very little luxury is up to everyones own wallet. No one is forced.

Last edited:
I can't get LMS to install on a different port then 9000, which is where I believe Wiim is installed. I used LMS for years but after getting a new laptop recently and trying to load it that's the issue I'm having. I admit I'm a neophyte when it comes to this stuff. Any help appreciated. I really like Roon, but would like to be able to use LMS also.

I can't get LMS to install on a different port then 9000, which is where I believe Wiim is installed. I used LMS for years but after getting a new laptop recently and trying to load it that's the issue I'm having. I admit I'm a neophyte when it comes to this stuff. Any help appreciated. I really like Roon, but would like to be able to use LMS also.

If you use piCorePlayer for LMS, it's under the Tweaks tab.

'Till death do you part then? My condolences.
Just keeping it as easy as possible. If I can be provided with an easy solution to get LMS back I'd like to use it, but I'm certainly not suffering using Roon(or Wiim Home app) as it achieves what I want to achieve, is have it everything in one place.

If you install LMS and 9000 is already in use it will automatically move up one to 9001

Have you checked your Windows firewall is allowing it?

Well LMS loaded up without issue on the older laptop, so I suppose I'm going to use it for awhile(at least for streaming needs) With Wiim and LMS, there really is no need for Roon for my purposes. I like it very much, but I like saving a few bucks more.

Back