Sound quality when using EQ or Volume Control

So if using fixed volume you say it’s best to turn off the eq? Does this still stand if I’m using the DAC in my amp and not inside the WiiM Pro?
The referenced statement is a story from the past, you shouldn't bother about it.
All you should care here is to provide enough headroom when you use GEQ, especially with positive gains on the selected bands. In such scenarios you should avoid the fixed volume to be able to reduce it manually for the compensation.

So if using fixed volume you say it’s best to turn off the eq? Does this still stand if I’m using the DAC in my amp and not inside the WiiM Pro?
I have no opinion - I merely quoted from the review, but that quote was from the “digital performance” section of the review, so based on that, the answer to your question would be “yes”.

The referenced statement is a story from the past, you shouldn't bother about it.
All you should care here is to provide enough headroom when you use GEQ, especially with positive gains on the selected bands. In such scenarios you should avoid the fixed volume to be able to reduce it manually for the compensation.
Would setting the new max volume setting at 90% or 95% help this?

The review was from earlier this year. Are you saying there has been a recent update that makes it no longer true, or that it never was?

Would setting the new max volume setting at 90% or 95% help this?
No simple answer here, it depends on the FW. Current FWs add around -1 dB pregain when GEQ is on, but beta PEQ FW doesn't do that for GEQ.
The aforementioned behavior no longer occurs, so the "flat" GEQ is safe even at fixed volume.
The maximum volume should be set to a level that compensates for the positive GEQ gains, so it is difficult to arbitrarily determine what volume level to use.

The review was from earlier this year. Are you saying there has been a recent update that makes it no longer true, or that it never was?
The mentioned behavior no longer occurs with current FWs.

Current FWs add around -1 dB pregain when GEQ is on
Interesting. This would explain why Pro doesn't pass the RME bit tests if GEQ is on but 'Flat' (with volume 'fixed').
It does of course pass the RME tests with EQ off.

... but no one knows what the future holds for us here ;)

@canard would say that the current cure is worse than the disease.
without explanation ... yes (the drc was a camouflage solution.. but hey, it's his job to manage this kind of thing...
digital saturations being much more annoying)

otherwise we simply explain that by applying only corrections that in "negative" we make sure to avoid any problems of saturation ... moreover since wiim has never managed to settle the thing the mode could only offer corrections in negative.. or possibly in positive at less than +1db...
but it remains quite vexing for wiim I find (the existing problem since the creation of the eq mode .. more than a year ...)
;-)

Last edited:
without explanation ... yes (the drc was a camouflage solution.. but hey, it's his job to manage this kind of thing...
digital saturations being much more annoying)

otherwise we simply explain that by applying only corrections that in "negative" we make sure to avoid any problems of saturation ... moreover since wiim has never managed to settle the thing the mode could only offer corrections in negative.. or possibly in positive at less than +1db...
but it remains quite vexing for wiim I find (the existing problem since the creation of the eq mode .. more than a year ...)
;-)
And we simple disagree here. I have 3 other devices with built-in EQ feature, none of them has forced DRC, all of them will clip when EQ gain is not compensated.

then the drc if engaged has like -1db and no excess positive corrections under 2k etc is not the worst solution ( for me ;-) )

and of course the solution in all cases to lower the level "in proportion"..but it's hard to estimate

Last edited:
Have the issue with «destroyed» signal when use of EQ in fixed mode been fixed in new firmware-updates since march?

Given that @onlyoneme (inter alia) identified and measured the issue, I think you can take that answer as gospel…
Thanks, didnt know about measurements.
I have have not dared to use the EQ since I use fixed volume info my NAD Masters M51 DAC.

1-jpg.930027

For those testing the beta, are there bugs being discovered?
There are three threads dealing with each of the betas where issues have been reported and, in some instances, WiiM have already provided fixes. TBH, surprised you’re asking as I thought you had already commented there on occasions…

Thanks, didnt know about measurements.
I have have not dared to use the EQ since I use fixed volume info my NAD Masters M51 DAC.

1-jpg.930027
Nice system you got. I had those type of speakers before, but long term listening my ear get fatigued on metal tweeter I switch to different brand that has unique tweeter that doesn’t use dome, horn or ribbon but instead used ring radiator tweeter.

Back