Sound quality when using EQ or Volume Control

Have the issue with «destroyed» signal when use of EQ in fixed mode been fixed in new firmware-updates since march?
Not sure what «destroyed» signal means. Any EQ with positive gain in fixed volume mode runs the risk of clipping on the S/PDIF, unless there's a limiter/compressor as samples approach full scale. A limiter is horrid, so positive gain requires headroom, which means adjusting pre-gain, hence not 'fixed'.

Not sure what «destroyed» signal means. Any EQ with positive gain in fixed volume mode runs the risk of clipping on the S/PDIF, unless there's a limiter/compressor as samples approach full scale. A limiter is horrid, so positive gain requires headroom, which means adjusting pre-gain, hence not 'fixed'.
I was talking about the ASR-measurements wich showed:

EQ off
IMG_3964.jpeg

EQ on
IMG_3963.jpeg

Setting max volume a few dB down, to provide headroom for EQ, would no longer be bit-perfect. If volume is 'fixed' then it should be transparent.

If you don't want clipping but need EQ then don't set volume fixed. Lower it a bit to provide headroom for the EQ.

Setting max volume a few dB down, to provide headroom for EQ, would no longer be bit-perfect. If volume is 'fixed' then it should be transparent.

If you don't want clipping but need EQ then don't set volume fixed. Lower it a bit to provide headroom for the EQ.
Brantome replied over here that the issue now is fixed, so you can use fixed volume and EQ without any clipping/distortion.

Brantome replied over here that the issue now is fixed, so you can use fixed volume and EQ without any clipping/distortion.
That was surely the issue where -1dB gain occurred automatically when GEQ was on but 'flat'.

It's about fixed volume and EQ with flat settings, not about fixed volume and any EQ settings. Positive gain must be compensated with the volume level to avoid clipping.

It's about fixed volume and EQ with flat settings, not about fixed volume and any EQ settings. Positive gain must be compensated with the volume level to avoid clipping.
What if the total EQ gain is negative. Would it matter if volume is fixed.

Thanks, didnt know about measurements.
I have have not dared to use the EQ since I use fixed volume info my NAD Masters M51 DAC.

1-jpg.930027
Please let me know what are those white monitors stands (I would need similar)?

Please let me know what are those white monitors stands (I would need similar)?

Do you have it filled with something ? Any difference between filled or not ? ( do you hear any ringing if Empty?) I would like to buy these stands

Last edited:
Do you have it filled with something ? Any difference between filled or not ? ( do you hear any ringing if Empty?) I would like to buy these stands
Yes, filled with sand. Did it from the start so cant say anything about difference in SQ. Each speaker incl stand weighs 18kgs. Placed on weight-matched soft dampingfeet from Sonic Design.

Last edited:
As a newbie to all this…

Okay, so I should set the WiiM to ‘Fixed output volume’.

Does PEQ still work in this mode (WiiM Pro)?

I’ll be sending audio out over coax to an external DAC. Will the PEQ damage the sound (clipping, etc.)?

If not, great. But if it does, I presume this can be negated by reducing the overall gain control.

Is this correct? If so, is there a formula for how much to reduce it?

Cheers.

If there's fixed/100% volume and positive EQ gain, then the output could clip. Lower the volume sufficiently to provide headroom for the largest EQ gain.

And trust your ears! Why asking for a formula when you can easily try and error what suits you? And I am also sure you will not destroy any of your hardware with trying and playing around with the settings 😉. May be you can hear such "distortions" earlier or later than others.

Smooth operating recommended 😉
Added: There is always a silly or a reasonable way to get a result. Guess which one starting at 100 % is.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's fixed/100% volume and positive EQ gain, then the output could clip. Lower the volume sufficiently to provide headroom for the largest EQ gain.

Thanks. So if the largest was say +5db at 100hz, then cut volume by 5db?

So would it make a difference if you had a 5db boost at 100hz + a 4db boost at 2khz? Still just cut by 5db, or a cumulative 9db?

Cheers.

And trust your ears! Why asking for a formula when you can easily try and error what suits you? And I am also sure you will not destroy any of your hardware with trying and playing around with the settings 😉. May be you can hear such "distortions" earlier or later than others.

My question was to ask whether or not there was a hard-set formula which mathematically ensures any possible distortion caused by boosted EQ is compensated for by a calculated cut in overall volume.

I don’t see that this question has any relevance to subjective listening, as such. Or rather, it negates the need.

If, mathematically, any increase in signal of (as in the example) 5db at 100hz will be completely negates by a 5db cut in volume, why would I need to get through possible lengthy and time-consuming listening tests, straining to see if I could hear the tiniest amount of distortion, if maths can give me the answer in 5 seconds?

Don’t get me wrong, if I use the mathematical model and I can still hear distortion, that’s different, and I go again.

But if there’s a simple, tried and trusted method, based on sound principles, which when used shows no measurable distortion, why would anyone not want to use that?

Back