Switch from AirPlay 2 to AirPlay 1

Yuzgh001

I am able to stream ALAC over AirPlay 1 from an iPhone but only AAC over AirPlay 2.
Would it be possible to have a parameter in WiiM to let me choose if I want AirPlay 1 or 2?
I would use AirPlay 2 if I want MultiRoom, but use AirPlay 1 if I choose to have uncompressed ALAC.

Thanks for the consideration.

AirPlay 2 is baked into the Linkplay module that WiiM uses. Zero chance that it will be regressed.
I was holding out hope there may be some sort of software trick to have the WiiM advertise itself as AirPlay1 (if/when desired), so that an iOS device would be forced to connect that way.

I was holding out hope there may be some sort of software trick to have the WiiM advertise itself as AirPlay1 (if/when desired), so that an iOS device would be forced to connect that way.
Why would Apple allow that? It would be admitting that their new better implementation isn't better at all (even though most of us already know that).

Meehhhhh! Apple, you @#$$s. I've got the whole ecosystem and this has been a thorn in my side. They only want their devices and key partners to have access to the high Rez streams. I hope they get sued:)

Yes please, give us a toggle for Airplay1/2 mode. If I didn't use Apple Watches I'd have stayed with Amazon Music, the difference between 256K 16/44.1 and 24/96 is clearly audible.

Given apple clearly sells airplay 2 as a benefit, over airplay 1, what is the actual purpose of it, it sounds worse and it has no benefits concerning how it's used.

Given apple clearly sells airplay 2 as a benefit, over airplay 1, what is the actual purpose of it, it sounds worse and it has no benefits concerning how it's used.
As far as I know, the big difference is that you can send the stream to multiple AirPlay receivers at once. So, say you had WiiMs in a few places throughout the house, you could AirPlay to all or some of them at the same time. Many of us would likely take bit-perfect playback in a heartbeat over that function, though. At least lossless playback. It’s mind-boggling that they offer high-res but give you barely any options to actually play it back.

As far as I know, the big difference is that you can send the stream to multiple AirPlay receivers at once. So, say you had WiiMs in a few places throughout the house, you could AirPlay to all or some of them at the same time. Many of us would likely take bit-perfect playback in a heartbeat over that function, though.
Thing is, I can do that without airplay doing it, because the WiiMs can cast to each other, as can most smart devices?

Lurking at the back of drawers I've got an original Airport Express, An Apple TV3, and a Polyvection DAC32, all of which only do Airplay 1 afaik.

I must dig them out and experiment.

Last edited:
Is Wiim actively working with Apple to enable High Rez?

Right now, I'm maintaining my Amazon Music subscription solely to enable hi res...but Amazon's Mac client doesn't support casting to the Wiim for some silly reason. Apple Music casts just fine but only with AP2 which doesn't sound as good as Amazon Music HD track (despite Apple telling me repeatedly these aren't the droids I'm looking for).

That said, if Wiim improved their UIs for finding playing music, I'd be happy to just use Wiim. There's just a few too many steps getting to content...and we need a Wiim Mini player.

Is Wiim actively working with Apple to enable High Rez?

Right now, I'm maintaining my Amazon Music subscription solely to enable hi res...but Amazon's Mac client doesn't support casting to the Wiim for some silly reason. Apple Music casts just fine but only with AP2 which doesn't sound as good as Amazon Music HD track (despite Apple telling me repeatedly these aren't the droids I'm looking for).

That said, if Wiim improved their UIs for finding playing music, I'd be happy to just use Wiim. There's just a few too many steps getting to content...and we need a Wiim Mini player.
It seems that firmware update that makes the WiiM appear to only support airplay 1, might be the most expedient answer.

…but Amazon's Mac client doesn't support casting to the Wiim for some silly reason.
Yeah can’t think why their PC/MAC desktop apps don’t allow that when for a while (until MS broke it) you could cast from the android mobile amazon music app under the windows subsystem for android, so it’s not a Windows constraint per se.

Back