Terrible sync issues with new WiiM setup

bom13

I recently acquired 2 Pro's and a Mini to replace some aging sonos gear. After getting everything setup when I group all the WiiM's I get very noticeable latency issues. I've got "excellent" wifi to the 2 pro's and "very good" to the mini. I've tried using the auto sync which does add various amounts of latency to the individual units, but when played "whole house" the group again has noticeable audio sync issues. Everything plays fine, but is definitely not in sync. I do use 2 benchmark DAC's between the 2 pro's and my room amps and speakers. I had the same setup (the dac's) between 2 sonos connects and my amp/speakers and never had any sync or latency issues when grouping all the zones. I've gone through all the audio settings on the pro's to look for anything that may be causing the issue but haven't had any luck. As it stands now, this is certainly a show stopper as I use all the zones grouped in my home quite a bit. Anybody have any ideas on things I can check?
Thanks
Brian

I recently acquired 2 Pro's and a Mini to replace some aging sonos gear. After getting everything setup when I group all the WiiM's I get very noticeable latency issues. I've got "excellent" wifi to the 2 pro's and "very good" to the mini. I've tried using the auto sync which does add various amounts of latency to the individual units, but when played "whole house" the group again has noticeable audio sync issues. Everything plays fine, but is definitely not in sync. I do use 2 benchmark DAC's between the 2 pro's and my room amps and speakers. I had the same setup (the dac's) between 2 sonos connects and my amp/speakers and never had any sync or latency issues when grouping all the zones. I've gone through all the audio settings on the pro's to look for anything that may be causing the issue but haven't had any luck. As it stands now, this is certainly a show stopper as I use all the zones grouped in my home quite a bit. Anybody have any ideas on things I can check?
Thanks
Brian
I don't know if my suggestion will be the solution, but after linking 3 Wiims, did you try automatic syncing while playing music? Try it if you haven't already.

At that time, automatic synchronization is performed first from the gear icon of the master device. If it does not sync, try automatic synchronization on each of the remaining two units.

You may need to do this again due to WiiM farm updates.

Thanks
Brian
Hi Bom13,

Could you kindly submit feedback via the WiiM Home App? We'll review it right away. In the meantime, try setting the latency to 0 on each WiiM device. This should mirror your prior Sonos setup, given that the Sonos Connect doesn't account for downstream audio latency. Let us know if this resolves the issue!

I have a similar issue about delays between the WiiM Pro as the distributor of music. I have three WiiM Pros attached to Schiit Modi plus DACs. I wouldn't say the sync delays are huge, more like almost 0.1 seconds (maybe a bit less). The WiiM Pro that is distributing music has different timing than the other two WiiM Pros. It is noticeable with piano music and speech, not so much with choral music.

I hear an "echo" effect when I walk from one part of the house to the other between the WiiM Pro distributing the music and the next WiiM Pro receiving sync data. The two WiiM Pros that are receiving sync data do not have hearable delays to each other, they seem to be synced well enough for me not to hear effects. The WiiM Pros are far enough apart that I can't hear the source WiiM Pro to the furthest away WiiM Pro, just can tell that the issue is between the source WiiM Pro and the others.

This effect seems to be independent of source of music, either via optical input, analog input or streaming from TuneIn or Qobuz. It is as if there are delays in sending the data to the downstream WiiM Pros. I tried varying delays in the WiiM Pro, but the user interface implies that the delay control only affects A/D inputs, not the other sources.

Given the possible independence of source of music, this problem has the appearance being associated with delays in sending data out to the other synchronized WiiM Pro.

I don't think this is a new issue. I still have the problem with the recent firmware update that was pushed to us very recently (yesterday for me).

I solved my delay issue for my three WiiM Pro's, though I did not get any response from WiiM. The user interface for sync is different from the sending WiiM Pro vice the receiving WiiM Pro. This is user interface difficulty on my part. I set the sending WiiM Pro delay to -115 ms, the rest are at 0 ms. The setting is under Sound on the main configuration page and I select "Sync Audio". The configuration page looks different for the sending device versus the receiving device and I missed the sync setting on the sending WiiM Pro.

I'm experiencing a significant sync issue between my Amazon Echo and wiim pro connected speakers. I'll continue to try manual sync...

I'm experiencing a significant sync issue between my Amazon Echo and wiim pro connected speakers. I'll continue to try manual sync...
What amplifier is the WiiM pro connected to?

For example, if you connect a WiiM pro to an AVR, there may be a delay due to the AVR's DSP.

More color on sync issues... Even when I use a speaker group with an Echo and a Firestick tv in adjacent rooms, they are never in sync. The Amazon sync adjust settings are tedious and never stick either.

More color on sync issues... Even when I use a speaker group with an Echo and a Firestick tv in adjacent rooms, they are never in sync. The Amazon sync adjust settings are tedious and never stick either.
Does the audio on the FireTV stick come out of the AVR?

When pairing an Echo with a WiiM or FireTV stick connected to an AVR to play Alexa MRM, the sync cannot be performed due to AVR delays. (This is my experience.)

The culprit is the DSP of the AVR. In my yamaha AVR, when I set it to pure direct mode, it goes through the DSP and there is no delay.

Does the audio on the FireTV stick come out of the AVR?

When pairing an Echo with a WiiM or FireTV stick connected to an AVR to play Alexa MRM, the sync cannot be performed due to AVR delays. (This is my experience.)

The culprit is the DSP of the AVR. In my yamaha AVR, when I set it to pure direct mode, it goes through the DSP and there is no delay.
Can you clarify what AVR is?
The Firestick is connected via WIFI and paired through Alexa app.
My current Alexa speaker group used with WiiM Pro device currently does not include a Firestick, but does include Echo devices.

Can you clarify what AVR is?
The Firestick is connected via WIFI and paired through Alexa app.
My current Alexa speaker group used with WiiM Pro device currently does not include a Firestick, but does include Echo devices.
Sorry, AVR stands for AV Receiver. Your Sony STR-DH590 is also an AVR.

AVRs have a built-in digital signal processor (DSP) that causes delays as the audio signal passes through the DSP.

Edit:
And this delay can cause synchronization problems with multi-room music with Echo.
But I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your problem.

Last edited:
Sorry, AVR stands for AV Receiver. Your Sony STR-DH590 is also an AVR.

AVRs have a built-in digital signal processor (DSP) that causes delays as the audio signal passes through the DSP.

Edit:
And this delay can cause synchronization problems with multi-room music with Echo.
But I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your problem.
Appreciate the clarification, sooooo many acronyms! LOL

Back