Test WIIM pro+ with different power supplies

Anyone tried it with a regular iPhone 5W supply?

iPhone power supplies are very clean and shown to improve other devices.

I have an Apple 5 volt 10 watt tablet PS on the way, will see how it compared to a battery bank and the iFI ipowerX I have on hand. I believe it is rated at 2.1 amps, got it on Ebay for $6.49 shipped.

Anyone tried it with a regular iPhone 5W supply?

iPhone power supplies are very clean and shown to improve other devices.
I have one from 2015 here , I can try when I got time , maybe its even better than the iPad charger from 2012 ?
They have tested it:

IMG_0815.png
”The iPhone charger performs extremely well at filtering out spikes and noise, the best of the chargers I measured. Apart from the 120 Hz spikes, the noise spectrum (orange) is flat and very low. The power quality is so good, I checked the results several times to make sure I wasn't missing something.”

My comments - the ripple RMS seems to be 5.49 rms mV for the iPhone charger, a good result, but you can get below 1 mV with a good LPS.
————————————

My lm317 regulator board and 9V 3A linear AC transformer has now arrived at the post office:)
It can give 1.5 A maximum, maybe 1 A in real conditions, but I will probably discover if its not sufficient if the regulator turns very hot.
IMG_0811.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually… it may work. Because Apple devices have design margins and WiiM Pro use 1A or so.
Actually lower for the pro: 440 mV during booting, even lower when playing music…the plus model is more power hungry.

Last edited:
After seeing the HP Touchpad charger results I just might have to find one, so far only one on Ebay I have seen is $25 plus shipping. It seems a bit better than the Ipad charger that just arrived, will test all I have sometime today or tomorrow depending on the weather, have much outdoor work to get done before winter gets any worse.

Hewlett Packard LPS AC/DC Adaptor P/N 157-10157-00

Actually the voltage sage is not so great and might seriously effect something as dynamic as musical tracts.

I would love to see the iFi iPowerx directly compared to the HP, Ipad and other PS choices.

Last edited:
IMG_4458.jpeg

Adjusting the regulator DC output to exactly 5.0 V before using the power supply. Very important - the polarity must also be right on the DC output.

The 3A transformer is huge :)

Last edited:
Why is 5v very important?
I'm fairly confident that the SOC on all wiim devices don't operate at 5v.
Typically 3v3, so I'm similarly confident that any 5V input faces a voltage regulator on the wiim. I suspect this to be a switcher, does anyone know?
I'd be interested to know. It adds an interesting dimension to the PSU discussion.
Often sections within a SOC operate at different voltages too. Perhaps they could benefit from separate PSUs too?

Why is 5v very important?
I'm fairly confident that the SOC on all wiim devices don't operate at 5v.
Typically 3v3, so I'm similarly confident that any 5V input faces a voltage regulator on the wiim. I suspect this to be a switcher, does anyone know?
I'd be interested to know. It adds an interesting dimension to the PSU discussion.
Often sections within a SOC operate at different voltages too. Perhaps they could benefit from separate PSUs too?
Im sure there are some switching regulators inside the WiiM. I would also guess its probably 3,3 V. Every regulator have some dropout, and switching regulators have much less dropout and heat.

My lm317 powersupply is working without sound issues connected to the WiiM pro during tv watching for 2 hours. However, the linear regulator heatsink gets hot, to warm to touch . I also have some mechanical noise coming from the transformer .

Last edited:
Im sure there are some switching regulators inside the WiiM. I would also guess its probably 3,3 V. Every regulator have some dropout, and switching regulators have much less dropout and heat.

My lm317 powersupply is working without sound issues connected to the WiiM pro during tv watching for 2 hours. However, the linear regulator heatsink gets hot, to warm to touch . I also have some mechanical noise coming from the transformer .
That is a pity, it was such a nice idea. Do you have a plan b?
The Ifi PowerX has arrived, have it connected but no time to listen now, in a few days hopefully.

Made my own test for anyone interested. Wav 16/44 Stereo track snippet of Level42. Should show dynamics, leading edges, bass separation, vocal harshness/sibilance, space & spread of soundstage. These were recorded with HiFiMe optical digital interface direct from Wiim Optical out to computer USB, so only testing the digital side, not the internal DAC. The files were streamed to the Wiim via AlexaCast/Amazon Music from my Android tablet.

2 tracks, one using Wiim standard power supply, the other using Temple Audio Supercharger (below) which uses a bank of supercapacitors:
SC_PSU1_tn.jpg

Drop box link:

DROPBOX

Last edited:
That is a pity, it was such a nice idea. Do you have a plan b?
The Ifi PowerX has arrived, have it connected but no time to listen now, in a few days hopefully.
The first plan is to find out If this regulator is better sounding than my iPad charger with the WiiM pro used as digital bridge, plan B after this is probably to try an ifipower x and maybe also a lt3086 board.
The lm317 power board was only meant to be a cheap but good try with a LPS .

I have to remember that my WiiM pro/iPad charger 2012/ Rega dac with filtering nr 2 sounded on par with a Linn klimax/ds0 reneew as I tested those during a weekend. https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/test-wiim-pro-with-different-power-supplies.1742/page-4
So maybe the iPad charger is good enough and further improvements will probably be very small ?

Last edited:
Made my own test for anyone interested. Wav 16/44 Stereo track snippet of Level42. Should show dynamics, leading edges, bass separation, vocal harshness/sibilance, space & spread of soundstage. These were recorded with HiFiMe optical digital interface direct from Wiim Optical out to computer USB, so only testing the digital side, not the internal DAC. The files were streamed to the Wiim via AlexaCast/Amazon Music from my Android tablet.

2 tracks, one using Wiim standard power supply, the other using Temple Audio Supercharger (below) which uses a bank of supercapacitors:
View attachment 4205

Drop box link:

DROPBOX
Looks like dithering added by the recording software. Next time try without it to get perfectly the same files.

FWIW, I've been using this 5v LPS for almost a year with the WiiM Pro. (Yes, I was an early adopter.)

I connect the USB from the LPS with a micro USB adaptor. Always shows the voltage output at 5.05v.

Back