TuneIn: Bitrate/quality is not selectable :-(

alpha_zulu

Major Contributor
Please allow TuneIn to automatically select the best possible quality for each station. Currently - for whatever reason - the lowest bitrate is always selected. And there is no way to change this manually. I don't understand why it was solved this way. WiiM is not a mobile device and should therefore get the best possible bitrate. It should be easy to implement this, right?

I know that there are ways around this with vTuner and Networkstream. But these are not as convenient as TuneIn.

After upgrade the wiim app version to 2.9.5 this weekend. The max bitrate is 96 kbps in TuneIn

How to fix this ?

I think that’s all the WiiM app can achieve on Tunein. Have you tried vTuner in the WiiM app, or Open Network Stream if you have the station URL? You could also try airplay or ChromeCast from your phone/ tablet and you’d likely get a better rate.

Open the same station in vTuner the stations has the correct highest bitrate stream possible. (192 kbps instead off 96 kbps. This also was till the latest wiim upgrade. All tested stations in TuneIn have this issue now.

All tested stations in TuneIn have this issue now.
Hasn’t that always been the case with Tunein in the WiiM app? As I say, for radio you’re just as well using the native Tunein app and airplaying or Chromecasting to your WiiM device as they can handle the bitrate many radio services offer, as well as having better features.

I personally have no issue using the best app for the service rather than the WiiM app, for example,the Amazon Music app or BubbleUPNP app etc. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect the WiiM app to be a universal app that gets the best out of all services, in the same manner as I wouldn’t expect a universal video app to have all the features that the individual Netflix, Apple TV, Disney etc apps have to offer.

Your question:
Hasn’t that always been the case with Tunein in the WiiM app? As I say, for radio you’re just as well using the native Tunein ?

Answer: no till the latest upgrade last weekend when select a tuneIn station in the wiim app it always choose that stream with the highest bitrate and now after the upgrade the lowest stream

Your question:
Hasn’t that always been the case with Tunein in the WiiM app? As I say, for radio you’re just as well using the native Tunein ?

Answer: no till the latest upgrade last weekend when select a tuneIn station in the wiim app it always choose that stream with the highest bitrate and now after the upgrade the lowest stream
Ok, best submit a ticket to WiiM thru the settings/feedback section in the WiiM Home app so they can investigate. Not aware they had made any changes in that area.

Your question:

Did you notice what this thread, you replied to, was all about, originally? ;)

Personally I found one station so far that currently plays at 192 kbps, 16 bit, 44.1 kHz. I will keep an eye on what happens after the next update (currently on 2.9.2 Android).

Things are getting interesting now ...

WiiM Home App 2.9.3 what's new.jpg

... but maybe not that much. New WiiM Home App Android version is 2.9.3.240417.

No difference regarding TuneIn compared to version 2.9.2:

Radio BOB on 2.9.3.jpg

Hasn’t that always been the case with Tunein in the WiiM app? As I say, for radio you’re just as well using the native Tunein app and airplaying or Chromecasting to your WiiM device as they can handle the bitrate many radio services offer, as well as having better features.

I personally have no issue using the best app for the service rather than the WiiM app, for example,the Amazon Music app or BubbleUPNP app etc. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect the WiiM app to be a universal app that gets the best out of all services, in the same manner as I wouldn’t expect a universal video app to have all the features that the individual Netflix, Apple TV, Disney etc apps have to offer.
We don't expect the WHA to be the best experience for all the services. But more of a good hub for everything with an experience that is agnostic to the service that you use. 🤔 because isn't that the function of a good streamer?!

Similar to the way roku is "impartial" towards video services compared to apple tv. I think that's the big opportunity in this space for WiiM. To become the "home screen" for people's audio.
In this case we'd be ok with some functions of the main app missing within WHA. But basic core functionality should be maintained imo. Simple stuff like visibility of favourites and song radio in qobuz for example have not been implemented. Adding these would make the experience really good.

It's also a way that they can convert many one-time purchase customers into those creating recurring revenue with a subscription - WHA plus?! 💡

Back