Use inputs as presets

cooky560

Major Contributor
It would be nice if I could set inputs as presents, so that rather than toggling "source" several times, I can just press 4 on the remote for my turntable, for example.

Auto mode doesn't work for my purposes as my phono stage seems to always make the amp think there's a signal on the line in.

Agreed, I was trying to do this yesterday to set it up and make it easier for the other half to use. Only thing I couldn't do was add a preset for an input.

You could use the mic on the remote to change input, or use Alexa routines to do that and more e.g.

https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-amp.1322/post-33581

You could use the mic on the remote to change input, or use Alexa routines to do that and more e.g.

https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-amp.1322/post-33581

While the voice command works, it still doesn't feel like a good solution because it often misinterprets the command.

The remote input switch button doesn't feel nice for a few reason:
1) The color indicators are not intuitive and difficult to see for colorblind people.
2) It takes a second for the input to actually change. Before the input switches, pressing the button again doesn't do anything. It's not even possible to, for example, press the button 4 times quickly to get to your desired input. Instead, one needs to press the input button, wait for the color to change, and then click again.

I just wish I could press a physical button and get expected results.

I’d like to see this feature, also. Pressing the input button is laggy and I don’t find the LED color coding intuitive. It’s certainly not very friendly for someone who doesn’t use the device often (such as my wife or kids).

I agree with you, switching the inputs is very unsophisticated. In the Wiim Home app, deep in the menu (wtf?), the controller is unintuitive. I would gladly replace the volume indication on the front panel, which is useless to me because I can hear the volume... But I don't see the input anywhere. Hopefully it'll get better with time. Switching inputs is the most important thing.

I agree with you, switching the inputs is very unsophisticated. In the Wiim Home app, deep in the menu ...
Did you notice that switching inputs is available from the Browse tab as well? Not hidden in any deep menu, but still at the bottom of the page.

Did you notice that switching inputs is available from the Browse tab as well? Not hidden in any deep menu, but still at the bottom of the page.
Yes, but I'm not usually there... I'm basically never on the main page.
I'm in Tidal, or deep in some DLNA folder

Yes, but I'm not usually there... I'm basically never on the main page.
I'm in Tidal, or deep in some DLNA folder
Sounds like you hardly ever need to switch inputs manually? What's your pain, then?

Sounds like you hardly ever need to switch inputs manually? What's your pain, then?
He needs to. I want to switch e.g. Tidal to Gramophone (Line-In), I do this several times a night. I'd like to have the inputs still on the screen, for example in the "device" menu under the amplifier. There is plenty of free space there - switching inputs would fit comfortably.

The hardware driver is slow, plus the inputs have nonsensical colors (for example, bluetooh is blue all over the planet - what is it here? I don't even know... ligh green? hmmm....)

The hardware driver is slow, plus the inputs have nonsensical colors (for example, bluetooh is blue all over the planet - what is it here? I don't even know... ligh green? hmmm....)
Apparently the LED WiiM use doesn’t support blue…

It's just little things… there’s space for improvement, but it's not a major problem.

Here’s my perspective as a user and engineer… I shouldn’t have to use the app and drill through pages or screens to change the input to optical/TV. Should I require my entire family to install the app on their devices to be able to use the Amp easily?

Pressing the remote’s input button to cycle thru to what I’ve now learned is an orange LED for optical.. still isn’t intuitive. As was noted, Bluetooth isn’t blue while RCAs (from my DAC) is the green input?

I sort of worked around this feature by turning on auto-input sensing but that’s not completely the fix in the event that I have multiple devices/inputs live but want a specific input to play.

It would have been nice if there were individual LEDs for each input (such as seen on the SMSL SU-1 DAC, for example). Or, put discrete input buttons on the remote. Or, put an OLED or LCD screen on the device front to add a level of user friendliness and interaction beyond the app… the Amp is a completely different type of device than the Mini streamer where the app control makes sense and multiple inputs aren’t relevant.

It would be nice if I could set inputs as presents, so that rather than toggling "source" several times, I can just press 4 on the remote for my turntable, for example.

Auto mode doesn't work for my purposes as my phono stage seems to always make the amp think there's a signal on the line in.
Hi cooky560,

Thank you for the excellent suggestion. Our product team is currently developing customizable options for the four preset buttons.

Regarding the auto-sensing issue with your phono stage via line-in on the WiiM Amp, could you please submit a feedback ticket through the WiiM Home App when the issue arises? This will help us address your concerns more effectively.

Hi cooky560,

Thank you for the excellent suggestion. Our product team is currently developing customizable options for the four preset buttons.

Regarding the auto-sensing issue with your phono stage via line-in on the WiiM Amp, could you please submit a feedback ticket through the WiiM Home App when the issue arises? This will help us address your concerns more effectively.
I look forward to seeing it in action!

The auto-sensing is not something WiiM can easily fix, as it's a fault of my phono pre-amp, it has no power switch of it's own, and always seems to send a voltage down the rca jacks, even when no sound is present.

Back