WiiM as default AlexaCast target in Amazon Music app

jacksnbox

When I press play in the Amazon app, Alexa always defaults to the speakers in my tablet, and not Wiim. So after it starts playing, I have to hit casting and choose Wiim. Is there a way to default to Wiim?
Thanks in advance

You could try the auto connect setting in the amazon music app’s settings. Other than that, I don’t think there’s a way

And I’d probably re title the post as “WiiM as default AlexaCast target in Amazon Music app” or similar as “default Alexa speaker” has a specific meaning in the context of Alexa device groups ;)

When I press play in the Amazon app, Alexa always defaults to the speakers in my tablet, and not Wiim. So after it starts playing, I have to hit casting and choose Wiim. Is there a way to default to Wiim?
Thanks in advance
I set my WiiM Pro up in the Alexa app as the default speaker for my Dot. I think they have to be configured in the same room group to do this, but my memory is foggy, having set this up a year or so ago (it has worked consistently since then, always plays to the Pro).

I set my WiiM Pro up in the Alexa app as the default speaker for my Dot. I think they have to be configured in the same room group to do this, but my memory is foggy, having set this up a year or so ago (it has worked consistently since then, always plays to the Pro).
You’re correct but as I say above, I don’t think that’s what the OP is referring to

I adjusted the title per your suggestions. I don't own any Amazon physical devices and Alexa keeps defaulting to the tablet it is installed on as the default speaker. ...If that is the only thing I have to complain about, then I'm good

I adjusted the title per your suggestions. I don't own any Amazon physical devices and Alexa keeps defaulting to the tablet it is installed on as the default speaker. ...If that is the only thing I have to complain about, then I'm good
Didn’t the auto connect setting in the amazon music app do anything? I only came across that fairly recent setting when a user complained about their phone not playing a track, only to find the music was playing on the last connected echo in another room…

It might be worthwhile asking WiiM via feedback in the WiiM app whether their devices honour that setting.

As a clarification, if I initiate from the WiiM app on my Android tablet, it goes straight to the Wiim. It is only when I initiate from the Amazon app that I get the problem. So, I problem is with Amazon, not Wiim (probably). I just don't have the heart to get in a discussion with Amazon

As a clarification, if I initiate from the WiiM app on my Android tablet, it goes straight to the Wiim. It is only when I initiate from the Amazon app that I get the problem. So, I problem is with Amazon, not Wiim (probably). I just don't have the heart to get in a discussion with Amazon
Yeah, I understand that but as WiiM devices’ firmware is developed based on an Amazon API to, in effect, emulate an echo device, then it could be the case that the firmware doesn’t support that auto connect function as would a real echo. I agree there’s little point wasting your time trying to engage with Amazon support which is ultra frustrating at the best of times even discussing their hardware, so that’s why I suggested raising a ticket with WiiM instead.

Have a read of this thread where that feature was first mentioned. It seems to suggest that if you start a stream via Alexa then go to the Amazon Music app, it recognises that stream and attaches to that echo, and even seems to stay attached later. Maybe you could try that and see if it helps.

Thanks in advance
Yes, in my opinion, it is the normal behavior of the Amazon Music app. By default, it will be played on devices that have the Amazon Music app installed, and it will be optional to play on WiiM devices with AlexaCast.

But as @Brantome said, the current Amazon Music app can stay connected to WiiM for a long time once connected to WiiM with Alexacast.

As shown in this image, the glowing blue cast icon in the Amazon Music app indicates that you are connected to your WiiM with Alexacast. What happens if you close the app in this state and then restart it? Normally, when you open the app the next day, the icon will still be glowing blue, and you're still connected to the WiiM, so you can simply press the play button to play music from the WiiM.

1000000268.jpg

Yes, in my opinion, it is the normal behavior of the Amazon Music app. By default, it will be played on devices that have the Amazon Music app installed, and it will be optional to play on WiiM devices with AlexaCast.

But as @Brantome said, the current Amazon Music app can stay connected to WiiM for a long time once connected to WiiM with Alexacast.

As shown in this image, the glowing blue cast icon in the Amazon Music app indicates that you are connected to your WiiM with Alexacast. What happens if you close the app in this state and then restart it? Normally, when you open the app the next day, the icon will still be glowing blue, and you're still connected to the WiiM, so you can simply press the play button to play music from the WiiM.

View attachment 6998
Yes, if I establish a connection to Wiim, it will remain connected until I close the Amazon app. When I start it again, I start over.....I did put in a ticket with Wiim....waiting to see if they have a response

Yes, if I establish a connection to Wiim, it will remain connected until I close the Amazon app. When I start it again, I start over.....I did put in a ticket with Wiim....waiting to see if they have a response

Is "Auto Connect" enabled in the Amazon Music app settings?
1000000269.jpg

This is just a guess, but depending on the OS version of the phone, certain features may not be available. Also, in my case, it works fine with all my WiiMs (WiiM amp, Pro, and mini). But my WiiM amp and Pro are currently in beta firmware, so I can't check if there is an issue with the official firmware. But as you mentioned earlier, I think it's unlikely that there's a problem with the WiiM.

I believe that's the way it's designed to work. If I start a music stream in the Amazon Music App, it plays on my iPhone. I then have to select what Echo devices (including WiiM Amp) I want it to play on by using the cast icon.
Edit to add that I have auto connect enabled.

I believe that's the way it's designed to work. If I start a music stream in the Amazon Music App, it plays on my iPhone. I then have to select what Echo devices (including WiiM Amp) I want it to play on by using the cast icon.
Edit to add that I have auto connect enabled.
I think you are right. Amazon would want you to listen on their platform first

Back