WiiM Group all sharing the same Output Resolution????

MrSoul4470

Major Contributor
Just got a WiiM mini and had a WiiM Pro since February.

The reason for my WiiM mini purchase was, that I wanted to use it as a downsampling device for my TC electronics Clarity M Stereo Analyzer that only accepts up to 48kHz via optical input. Until now I always downsampled everything coming from my media server to either 44.1 or 48kHz.

My glorious plan was, to accept any sample rate on my WiiM Pro and use coax to connect it to my DAC and group a WiiM mini that is set to max. 48kHz, so my Clarity M wouldn't get anything higher than that.

But DANG, once you group devices they share most of their settings and they strangely agree that the max. output resolution is 48kHz as set for my WiiM mini for both the WiiM Pro and the WiiM mini!

WHY DO THEY DO THAT??????? I'm crying as I'm typing this. Please someone tell me that I'm doing it wrong. 😭

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone! ;)

Just got a WiiM mini and had a WiiM Pro since February.

The reason for my WiiM mini purchase was, that I wanted to use it as a downsampling device for my TC electronics Clarity M Stereo Analyzer that only accepts up to 48kHz via optical input. Until now I always downsampled everything coming from my media server to either 44.1 or 48kHz.

My glorious plan was, to accept any sample rate on my WiiM Pro and use coax to connect it to my DAC and group a WiiM mini that is set to max. 48kHz, so my Clarity M wouldn't get anything higher than that.

But DANG, once you group devices they share most of their settings and they strangely agree that the max. output resolution is 48kHz as set for my WiiM mini for both the WiiM Pro and the WiiM mini!

WHY DO THEY DO THAT??????? I'm crying as I'm typing this. Please someone tell me that I'm doing it wrong. 😭

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone! ;)
And if you set the mini to 96 and group them (yes, I'm aware the Clarity won't work with this, it's just a test), is it still 48 max when grouped?

Or, to put it another way...
I played a 96khz track to a single pro, wiim app showed 96khz. Dac showed 96.
I added a 2nd pro, wiim app showed 48khz, dac showed 48.
Ungrouped the 2nd pro, song continued, at 48.
Skipped to next track, wiim and dac showed 96

The 48 limit is due to the grouping.
And only your eyes can tell ;)

(Both wiims set to 192 max)

From memory, Linkplay multiroom is limited to 16/48 and it’s not unusual for grouped solutions to deliver the same resolution to all speakers in the group.

Edit: in the case of grouped echo devices, as another example, the resolution delivered is that which the least capable device in the group can support.
2nd edit: there has been talk of WiiM adding hi res multiroom at some point, but even then, I guess it would take the approach that echos take as there’d be no point sending a 24/96 signal to a device that only supported 24/48, and it would perhaps over complicate matters if some master receiving device then had to downsample for individual members in the group that couldn’t handle the highest resolution others might handle.

Last edited:
From memory, Linkplay multiroom is limited to 16/48 and it’s not unusual for grouped solutions to deliver the same resolution to all speakers in the group.
Agree, my experience is everything 16/48 and below seems to pass through unchanged to the grouped speakers, anything above is resampled to 16/48. This works well for me as most music is CD quality and wandering around the house in multiroom high-res seems overkill.

Back