Wiim mini finding in asus ai mesh

kevinek

Major Contributor
Hi!
I have an issue with wiim mini. I have asus ai mesh wifi in my house. There are three routers. Wiim mini is connected to one downstairs. The case is when I am upstairs in the far part of my house sometimes my phone cannot find wiim mini in wiim home app. It displays it as online but disconnected in the app then. When I will exit app and go downstairs and reopen app it always finds wiim. I tried all wifi settings in wiim: 5Ghz only mode, roaming mode, google dns...
I also requested help through app feedback but without response...

I see this same problem with my Asus mesh (router + 2 hardwired backhauls). If the app is connected to the 'remote' wiim mini (which is right next to one of the mesh units) and the phone moves to a new location, I often (always?) lose control of the wiim. Not sure if this also occurs with the wiim pro.

I see this same problem with my Asus mesh (router + 2 hardwired backhauls). If the app is connected to the 'remote' wiim mini (which is right next to one of the mesh units) and the phone moves to a new location, I often (always?) lose control of the wiim. Not sure if this also occurs with the wiim pro.
I have a Pro, on an Asus mesh with wireless backhaul, and never have a problem with discovery from the WiiM Home app. Is your hardwired backhaul literally over Ethernet cabling, or is it reliant on powerline connections?

My problems stopped when I switched off auto-start and turned on battery saving in android smarthone's settings for wiim home app.

My backhauls are both cat 6. All the wiim's use static dhcp and all mini's are connected to 5GHz. I notice the app often has to search for my dlna server so I assume it's not caching previously discovered addresses. I just started the wiim mini playing from the app while next to it, walked 25 ft. and the phone likely switched to another mesh device. Lost contact in less than one song. Forced app close, reopened and it didn't list that mini. Then got 'let's fix it' message; wouldn't reconnect after search. Walked back next to wiim and it reconnected in a few seconds.

I don't have battery saving set 'on' at this point.

My backhauls are both cat 6. All the wiim's use static dhcp and all mini's are connected to 5GHz. I notice the app often has to search for my dlna server so I assume it's not caching previously discovered addresses. I just started the wiim mini playing from the app while next to it, walked 25 ft. and the phone likely switched to another mesh device. Lost contact in less than one song. Forced app close, reopened and it didn't list that mini. Then got 'let's fix it' message; wouldn't reconnect after search. Walked back next to wiim and it reconnected in a few seconds.

I don't have battery saving set 'on' at this point.
Don't know what it does, but have you tried disabling the wifi roaming option in the network screen?
I only ask as It mentions mesh networks.

Thanks for ideas. Flight mode didn't change behavior. I do have 'roaming' disabled on all mini's. I think each mini is likely on a different node so I should check if they behave similarly. I also typically have another mini linked to the problematic one - I should check if that matters. I could also see if the pro behaves similarly - it is hardwired.

Yes, I use static dhcp for wiim's and dlna server. I don't think it caches the addresses since I often see it searching for the dlna server.

One of the first things to try when experiencing discovery issues is to disable IGMP Snooping on routers/switches. Have you tried that?

I spoke to asus support. They adviced me to turn off: smart connect option, IP v6, wifi agille multiband, protected management frames and target wake time options. I am testing it now.

Back