Wiim mini red LED

SidV

I have owned a Wiim mini for many months now.
It was relatively easy to set up and worked perfectly with Tidal and my home NAS.
It was connected via SPDIF to my DAC and it was able to output bit perfect files with very high sound quality.

However, since installing the latest update and firmware, the unit started having regular dropouts. Nothing had changed in my network and all other apps and programs accessing my network and NAS have/had no problems whatsoever with it.
The Wiim unit kept having dropouts or complete disconnections. The unit had disconnections even when playing via another app with AirPlay 2. The unit would disconnect, but the app playing the music files via AirPlay kept on playing!

I obviously contacted support and received some advice, none of which seemed to work. Then I was told that a special firmware has been supplied and to update it. When I rebooted my unit to do that it went into a slowly blinking red LED loop which is still going on.
I have tried everything including trying a reset and obviously switching the unit off and back on again with long waits in between, but nothing works. The Wiim app obviously can’t connect to the unit anymore.

Is my unit dead now, thanks to the firmware update problem?

Any thoughts?

I have owned a Wiim mini for many months now.
It was relatively easy to set up and worked perfectly with Tidal and my home NAS.
It was connected via SPDIF to my DAC and it was able to output bit perfect files with very high sound quality.

However, since installing the latest update and firmware, the unit started having regular dropouts. Nothing had changed in my network and all other apps and programs accessing my network and NAS have/had no problems whatsoever with it.
The Wiim unit kept having dropouts or complete disconnections. The unit had disconnections even when playing via another app with AirPlay 2. The unit would disconnect, but the app playing the music files via AirPlay kept on playing!

I obviously contacted support and received some advice, none of which seemed to work. Then I was told that a special firmware has been supplied and to update it. When I rebooted my unit to do that it went into a slowly blinking red LED loop which is still going on.
I have tried everything including trying a reset and obviously switching the unit off and back on again with long waits in between, but nothing works. The Wiim app obviously can’t connect to the unit anymore.

Is my unit dead now, thanks to the firmware update problem?

Any thoughts?
Have you reported the flashing red LED to the support team?

Update:

I removed the unit from power for several hours. I reconnected and booted up and the mini finally found the network and I could reconnect to it via the app. The red LED loop of death was no longer.
However, I couldn’t play any music anymore.
I could now do a factory reset though, which I did. After the reset, the mini found the new firmware and installed it.
Now all seems to be working again. 😃
I am very glad that my unit is not dead, but I still don’t know if the problem with the connections and playback break ups have been resolved or not.
I will report back here in case they haven't.

Many thanks for the comments.

Back