Don’t unplug during an update!

Seems obvious not to unplug during an update but how are we supposed to know when it’s updating? LED light sequence?

My WiiM Pro stopped playing music at around 7pm PST a couple days ago and did not respond to any inputs in the app or on the unit. I unplugged/plugged the unit a couple times with a few minutes in between each cycle. The app just said it could not connect with the unit. I tried the same thing the next day with no luck.

Finally today after sitting for a day or two unplugged I plugged it in and eventually it powered up like normal and the app showed the notification that the firmware had been updated.

I can only assume that the initial shutdown was the start of the update process and that I interrupted it by unplugging it.

So, the LED sequence was about 20 seconds of fast white flashes followed by about 5 seconds of solid green. The manual says, OTA, white green, flashing (slow). Sounds like what I had going. The manual also says there will be no indication of an update just that it will be silent, will notify after and that it will happen between 2-5am.

Better communication/indications would be very helpful.

Seems obvious not to unplug during an update but how are we supposed to know when it’s updating? LED light sequence?

My WiiM Pro stopped playing music at around 7pm PST a couple days ago and did not respond to any inputs in the app or on the unit. I unplugged/plugged the unit a couple times with a few minutes in between each cycle. The app just said it could not connect with the unit. I tried the same thing the next day with no luck.

Finally today after sitting for a day or two unplugged I plugged it in and eventually it powered up like normal and the app showed the notification that the firmware had been updated.

I can only assume that the initial shutdown was the start of the update process and that I interrupted it by unplugging it.

So, the LED sequence was about 20 seconds of fast white flashes followed by about 5 seconds of solid green. The manual says, OTA, white green, flashing (slow). Sounds like what I had going. The manual also says there will be no indication of an update just that it will be silent, will notify after and that it will happen between 2-5am.

Better communication/indications would be very helpful.
The next time your WiiM music is interrupted, suspect an update. Currently, update notifications are only available in the WiiM app or LED lamp. Even if the device disappears from the WiiM app, do not easily unplug the power plug, check the status of the LED, and if the update is in progress, wait for a while.

I think the auto-update is really a bad design decision. Simply tell the user in the app when an update is availble would be much safer.
Completely agree. Forcing updates is a big negative for me. At least give me the option of notifying me first and then letting me initiate the update. Now I'm just waiting for the device to get clobbered by either a buggy update or a failed update process that renders it inoperable.

Also: scheduling. If you want auto-update, you should be able to schedule it for when you usually don't use the WiiM.

This has happened to me three times now. Evening listening session abruptly stops followed by an update notification the next morning.

Am I the only one dealing with updates happening early evening PST?

+1 Please provide an option to disable auto update! Wiim is constantly stopping playback due to an update when listening to radio in the morning (in my local time zone), when it is very inconvenient (my wife will soon force me to remove Wiim and bring back our old kitchen radio again because of this...)

Happened again last night. So far almost every update has started while I’ve been listening. I rewired my system so I am less dependent on the WiiM and will be using it a lot less.

Something is definitely strange here though. For another anecdote, I'm also in PT TZ and seem to never get automatic updates pushed at common listening times like 7 PM. I wonder what strategy they are using to determine when to do this.

Agreed that an option to specify a preferred time window would be good addition. I'll also add that I can understand why they do not want to add an option to disable auto updates completely.

Back