Wiim Pro vs Plus subjective impressions - Sound Quality?

I think it's true that the cable that comes with the Wiim mini is by no means of high quality. When I connected it to the AVR, I heard a noticeable noise. Perhaps there is a variation in the quality of the plug.
This cable has poor shielding, high resistance and quite high capacitance, so it is definitely not of high quality. And in certain circumstances, these flaws can certainly be audible.

It is amazing that people are not able to read/understand the question. It is basically asks for a comparison (subjective) of the two WiiMs. Is there anyone who is able to answer the question without just rumbling aroung, including the video of the bearded guy?

It is amazing that people are not able to read/understand the question. It is basically asks for a comparison (subjective) of the two WiiMs. Is there anyone who is able to answer the question without just rumbling aroung, including the video of the bearded guy?
Behold a bright spark …

Welcome!
Maybe a little harsh for a first post. ;)

I would say my post was close-ish...
I don't have a pro plus, not available here yet.
Wiim have stated the dac in a pro plus to be comparable with other dacs up to $500.
I have subjectively compared a pro with a pro feeding dacs of around that price, and higher, of both ess and akm varities.
Although not exactly what was asked for, it's the best I could offer to indicate that, imo, the dac stage in a pro is easily surpassed by external dacs, and thus the pro plus would definitely be the way to go if using the internal dac.

I think it would be amazing if people were not able to infer that from my rambling answer ;)

Although my WiiM Pro was replaced (by a NEO stream) a few weeks ago I got a Plus for pure curiosity and love for the WiiM idea of a cheap but excellent streamer. And did a short but intense testing with my at hand items.
Fix points: E-280, B&W floorstanders, Dynaudio bookshelves, Sennheiser headphones.
For me only the DAC was the theme, no other features like connections. This order was the result, from bottom to top. (Once more I was confirmed where to place a DACs impact. Improve other things first.)
Did not check the Plus with external DACs because I think the internal DAC from the Plus would be the reason for buying. If one has a bunch of DACs he could easily stay with the "old" Pro. Again, if no other feature from the Plus is wanted.
  1. Pro with the internal DAC
  2. Pro with SMSL C100
  3. Pro Plus with internal DAC
  4. Pro with Cambridge M200
  5. Pro with DAC option from the integrated amp.
Should be easy to explain 😉, because very often (sure not always) the chance to get a better result out of a higher invest is likely. The "audiophile" gibberish is not mine, the higher priced options sounded more correct and adult. Of course it was not a blind test! Did every single connection myself.
But the "differences" with the more expensive DACs are in such a tiny range where not a single one for me would justify the price differences! As always up to one's ears, requirements and budget. Air becomes thin when chasing a few percents more.
The internal from the Pro was the only one I identified every time immediately in the different speaker/headphones combinations. As a few of you might know in between I do not give much for measuring. I only trust my ears and the developers of companies I know for years and most of the times did not disappoint me. A statement like "the DAC of the Plus plays in the 500 € class" for me is at least a little bit adventurous.
So for the girls or guys with external DACs and lovers of displayed resolutions I would recommend the "old" Pro. For those who start from scratch it is of course the Plus. Both items are excellent choices and do not need vindication. But if it comes to a clash with many of the significantly more expensive competition they will reach limitations. If a high-end really exists the WiiMs are beaten with at least 2 and a half lengths. (Not too bad in horse racing.)
One more final thought: WiiM's software built on a very common basis is in my eyes the best one can get if he or she uses the WHA. Trying to bring it in a popular relation: The Pro with the external Cambridge DAC outpaced my former Nodes, X and i, easily.
Buy what you like and what is within your budget. You'll make no mistake, every WiiM based option is a good one. But the better was the enemy of the good.

Last edited:
Welcome!
Maybe a little harsh for a first post. ;)

I would say my post was close-ish...
I don't have a pro plus, not available here yet.
Wiim have stated the dac in a pro plus to be comparable with other dacs up to $500.
I have subjectively compared a pro with a pro feeding dacs of around that price, and higher, of both ess and akm varities.
Although not exactly what was asked for, it's the best I could offer to indicate that, imo, the dac stage in a pro is easily surpassed by external dacs, and thus the pro plus would definitely be the way to go if using the internal dac.

I think it would be amazing if people were not able to infer that from my rambling answer ;)
Sorry, I was just tired to read through many posts without finding answer to the stated question. Thank you very much for the good attempt. My very personal inpression is that AKM DACs sound too warm. Only good AKM implementation I know is Centrance DACs. I normally listen Chord stuff.

Sorry, I was just tired to read through many posts without finding answer to the stated question. Thank you very much for the good attempt. My very personal inpression is that AKM DACs sound too warm. Only good AKM implementation I know is Centrance DACs. I normally listen Chord stuff.
No worries. Yes, sometimes threads go a little off topic...
I think it's easier once you've been here a little while as it's pretty quick and easy just to read the "what's new" posts.

I'm sure if you have any questions of your own we'll get around to answering them.
Eventually. ;)

Last edited:
I'm sorry I made a post that is off topic.

Honestly, I'm not sure why so many people want other people's subjective reviews.
Do we use other people's ears to listen to music? ...No, never.

All I want is audio that I find comfortable myself. Nowadays, there are plenty of ways to resell, so I can try out a lot of equipment with less risk.

The only reviews I refer to before buying audio are about features and usability. 🙂

@Wiimer
Sometimes I do it for sorting my own thoughts. In higher ages it can be helpful to (once) bring it on paper or (today) write a post 😂 And sometimes I am in the lucky position to do it even for money.
But you are absolutely right! Audaces fortuna iuvat!

@Wiimer
Sometimes I do it for sorting my own thoughts. In higher ages it can be helpful to (once) bring it on paper or (today) write a post 😂 And sometimes I am in the lucky position to do it even for money.
But you are absolutely right! Audaces fortuna iuvat!
Yes, I understand your thoughts. I'm not saying reviews are evil. I also write reviews from time to time. 🙂

In general, I don’t bother about conversations going slightly off topic in a thread, they are often on topic in the context of the forum itself. Unless you’re discussing things like nuclear physics, of course ;)

It would just unnecessarily upset people if such posts were simply deleted, but if there is another thread where I can easily move a post to, I occasionally will. Often it’s easier just to leave it where it is - as usual, you can skip over it if you don’t think it’s relevant :)

Da ist nichts hart, auch nicht für einen ersten Beitrag. Es wurde nur eine einfache Frage gestellt!!!

Dutch review site Alpha Audio is not very positive about the sound quality as a streamer (external dac)
Wonder if they would have thought of it had they used the optical out rather than coax?

Or perhaps what they would have thought if WiiM simply charged twice as much but changed nothing? Perhaps those saxophone notes would suddenly be less "dark"... :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, they did go overboard a bit, what with power supplies and I guess “audiophile” quality cables and network components. Wonder how they’d react with a true blind test…

Last edited:
Based on what I can see in their measurements of the Pro Plus... well, I'm skeptical ;)

dscope serie 3 is for now too limited for somes of them observations.....

Back