WiiM Remote

I opined on the remote before. You can do very limited control without a screen. If you need a phone or tablet beside you anyways why the need for a remote? I change Playlists. I even change streaming services. I pick and choose songs. Doing those things without a screen? I'll save my money.

Hello, the same with Logitech harmony please 🙏
Those harmony remote were so close to be great but Logitech always managed to mess things up. Last time I checked they were discontinue the line completely. The harmony hub is a network device so should have be theoretically possible (and trivial) to write calls for the Wiim API. But I'm not even sure if Logitech had an open development environment for it and nobody would probably bother at this point.

Have you seen this? Post in thread 'WiiM Viewer Chrome Extension'
https://wiim.community.forum/threads/wiim-viewer-chrome-extension.441/post-5446
No I didn't thanks for the link.
I'll still write and deploy a standalone app because having a regular app feel a bit less geeky and a bit more integrated in the OS.
I saw that Wiim is developing a Windows Client too.
I'm just thinking a super straightforward remote. Something 1 click away, easy to install to use while using the pc to play / pause / skip / volume.

I will be the voice out of the chorus. LOL
Why should i need a remote? I already have a remote. It’s my tablet or phone.
With my Topping D50s i have had a remote too. Never used it and now is inside the Topping box.
Of course this is a personal opinion. Thanks God we are not all the same LOL
I agree, I don't actually need this remote, however I preordered it anyway.

Statistically, a lot of people sit on a pot with a phone, there is nothing abnormal there.
Not me, ever... the phone simply does not enter the bathroom, use of phone and sit the pot are mutually exclusive.

I can't say the same for my work colleagues however.

What the microphone for? It's not that a Wiim device is intrinsically aware of any voice assistant service.
Alexa access - in fact, in order to support AlexaCast for Amazon Music, a Wiim device actually appears as an Echo/Alexa device in the Alexa app and even without a voice remote can be used by Alexa to play supported music services.

Alexa access - in fact, in order to support AlexaCast for Amazon Music, a Wiim device actually appears as an Echo/Alexa device in the Alexa app and even without a voice remote can be used by Alexa to play supported music services.
I get that the Alexa ecosystem control devices that don't have a microphone (that's the whole point).
I didn't know that to be able to use amazon music the device needed to be configured as an alexa device (that sound awful).
Why Amazon Music would want to use a "cast" service for their streaming service? and what alexacast even is? 😖
I had no idea a device could act as a full virtual alexa device. So it would works only if paired with amazon and I would believe only if another real alexa device is present? Seem Amazon fired most of the Alexa division and it show. I hope it will not reflect negatively on wiim for choosing Alexa as voice assistant.

One thing, don’t believe the clickbait headlines - Amazon haven’t fired most of the Alexa division, only some outlying projects. Alexa is still expanding in many areas and will be around for a long time to come.

AlexaCast is Amazon Music’s casting mechanism, just like Spotify and Tidal use their respective Connect mechanisms to cast from their app to other devices. It’s often much preferable to use a streaming service’s own app and cast as they almost always have more functionality and features compared to any API they make available to third parties like WiiM. Many users are eagerly awaiting Qobuz to release their own version of Connect so Qobuz users can also cast to devices of their choice.

You can play amazon music from the WiiM app itself, but to cast you need to use the AlexaCast protocol which then, and only then, needs you to link to an Alexa account. That’s how Amazon implement casting and consequently how WiiM do. Rather than viewing it as a negative, it means that by implementing AlexaCast using Amazon’s MRM (multi room music) stack, WiiM devices appear as pseudo echo devices, so you can direct music to them by voice, as well as including them in multi room music groups along with other WiiM or indeed echos devices. Some see that as a significant plus and certainly not a negative.

wow, thanks for the explanation!
Beside the clickbait headlines the layoff are real and Alexa got very bad very fast in last weeks. Maybe coincidence.
When I read "cast" I always thought of a device streaming directly to another device over local network (aka awful and to be used only for specific cases).
I don't think Spotify ever cast any content (maybe controls?). it's all server > device and in my experience they have best implementation of a multidevice setup.
Ok make more sense that you dont need cast and alexa to play amazon music.
In some cases less is more.
The whole point of Wiim for me is to not be tight to any specific service. Wiim implement natively multiroom and it cast natively using DLMA.
Users can still do whatever they want with each different ecosystem but I don't think is a great idea for wiim to try to integrate feature in direct competition with what they offer as selling point.
The remote is most likely the only things that most people will see of a Wiim device.
Family members that don't care about installing the app, or friends coming over and want skip a song.
It's an opportunity for Wiim to showcase their strenght and not their limitations.

Writing that reply made me actually thing that I'm all for a <$20 remote but would be also nice to have the option for a fancier remote.
Learn from Apple and not just from Amazon. Wiim don't need to bait and switch cheap hardware to try to sell a service.
A lot of Wiim customers probably have >$1000 amplifiers and receivers, why don't complete the experience with a nice remote? metal case, rechargeable wireless battery, backlight, findme option. Ideally being able to connect multiple remotes would be ideal (and I don't think that would be a problem with BLE)

Will the remote be usable with Tidal connect or only with the Wiim app?

I can only imagine those people who will buy the remote control, but it turns out that it is not compatible with X8 because it requires the BT version, if the remote control will work in the BT version 🤕. There will be a lot of returns. It seems that it is not indicated anywhere that the BT version is required.
What is an X8, and what does that have to do with using a BT remote with the WiiM Pro?

Back