Yamaha TSR-700 Pre-Out Way too Low to Hear!

craigj265

Hi,

I previously used a cheap amp to power my outdoor speakers and play whatever was playing on my main reciever/speakers in my family room. It is a Yamaha TSR-700 with the "pre-out" connections. Previously, it would just amp whatever the main zone was playing, could be TV, Record player, etc. It worked well, but I wanted the capability of the Wiim Amp to stream to etc. After using the same "front pre-out" RCA connections to connect into the Wiim, I can BARELY hear the signal and have to jack the volume all the way up on the Wiim to hear it only slightly.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I am wracking my brain as it worked fine on my "dumb amp" and honestly don't know what to do. Thanks in advance for the help!

- Craig

Hi,

I previously used a cheap amp to power my outdoor speakers and play whatever was playing on my main reciever/speakers in my family room. It is a Yamaha TSR-700 with the "pre-out" connections. Previously, it would just amp whatever the main zone was playing, could be TV, Record player, etc. It worked well, but I wanted the capability of the Wiim Amp to stream to etc. After using the same "front pre-out" RCA connections to connect into the Wiim, I can BARELY hear the signal and have to jack the volume all the way up on the Wiim to hear it only slightly.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I am wracking my brain as it worked fine on my "dumb amp" and honestly don't know what to do. Thanks in advance for the help!

- Craig
I have that AVR on the setting try increase the input trim from 0 to 6db which is the max.

Hi,

- Craig
How many watts did you use before the WiiM amp? If the output of the WiiM amp is smaller than that amplifier, the maximum volume will also be lower.

I have that AVR on the setting try increase the input trim from 0 to 6db which is the max.
Dang I don't see that setting on the wiim amp to increase the input trim on settings. Am I just looking in wrong spot?

Attachments

• IMG_4124.png
    IMG_4124.png
    924.9 KB · Views: 3
Can you explain specifically what you are trying to do that can't be done with the Yamaha TSR-700 as it has similar streaming capabilities as the WiiM amp? I have a much older Yamaha AVR and it streams Pandora, Spotify, Internet Radio, etc.

I have the two zone Yamaha which is a great receiver. I use the zone 2 speaker outs for the a pair of in ceiling speakers I have in bathroom. Zone two cannot be individually streamed to seperate from matching zone 1.

Additionally, I wanted to play things on my outdoor speakers. The benefit of the wiim combo with the Yamaha is you can stream or air play directly to the outdoor speakers without having to play the same thing on the main zone, so you can select either "match zone 1" or steam independently. That's really why I wanted the wiim. Now I can't do the more basic function of playing the same source as zone 1 which has been frustrating.

How many watts did you use before the WiiM amp? If the output of the WiiM amp is smaller than that amplifier, the maximum volume will also be lower.
Well I know that's not the problem bc it plays air play or other sources just fine Ave vornado volume. Using the RCA inputs it is barely audible at max volume.

Is there a way to select either the front L/R speakers or the PRE OUT jacks on the Yamaha? If not, that may be the issue. From the manual:

• When using the PRE OUT jacks, do not connect speakers to the corresponding SPEAKERS terminals.
  • When using a pre-main amplifier that does not have the volume control bypass, turn up the volume of the pre-main amplifier enough and fix it. In this case, do not connect other devices (except the unit) to the pre-main amplifier.

Well I know that's not the problem bc it plays air play or other sources just fine Ave vornado volume. Using the RCA inputs it is barely audible at max volume.
If the power of the AVR and the power of the WiiM amp are different, the volume of the pre-out and the volume of the WiiM amp will also be different.

According to the spec sheet, the TSR700 typically has a pre-out output of 1V, but can output up to 2V. Please try the following in your AVR settings:

• Turn off Eco mode.
  • Maximizing dynamic range
  • Change the speaker setting from 4 ohms to 8 ohms (the default value is 8 ohms).

* I don't know if the TSR700 has these functions. Read the manual.

Also, I think the trim mentioned by @Smartplug is a feature of the AVR. However, this feature cannot increase the maximum output. It's a balancing act between input sources.

When using pre out it meant to connect on power amp. No special setting or switch needed to be activated. The speaker will be connected on external power amp not on AVR main speaker terminal. Check your remote on Tsr 700 and push option button and from there you will see input trim and many other hidden settings.

Is there a way to select either the front L/R speakers or the PRE OUT jacks on the Yamaha? If not, that may be the issue. From the manual:

• When using the PRE OUT jacks, do not connect speakers to the corresponding SPEAKERS terminals.
  • When using a pre-main amplifier that does not have the volume control bypass, turn up the volume of the pre-main amplifier enough and fix it. In this case, do not connect other devices (except the unit) to the pre-main amplifier.
That's a good point. 🙂

If the power of the AVR and the power of the WiiM amp are different, the volume of the pre-out and the volume of the WiiM amp will also be different.

According to the spec sheet, the TSR700 typically has a pre-out output of 1V, but can output up to 2V. Please try the following in your AVR settings:

• Turn off Eco mode.
  • Maximizing dynamic range
  • Change the speaker setting from 4 ohms to 8 ohms (the default value is 8 ohms).

* I don't know if the TSR700 has these functions. Read the manual.

Also, I think the trim mentioned by @Smartplug is a feature of the AVR. However, this feature cannot increase the maximum output. It's a balancing act between input sources.
Using default setting input trim to zero yield low volume and even connected to mono block 450 watt my wiim amp is louder. I also have emotiva pre and that has high output even just hair dial it can be very loud.

Using default setting input trim to zero yield low volume and even connected to mono block 450 watt my wiim amp is louder. I also have emotiva pre and that has high output even just hair dial it can be very loud.
Then it might be worth a try. 🙂

Should you just get a preamp to go from Yamaha preout to a preamp to boost the line voltage into the Wiim RCA units?

Also make sure that the volume is set appropriately in the speaker settings of your AVR.

The TSR700 has an 8-ohm output of 100W, while the WiiM amp has a 60W output.

Usually, you need to run Ypao after you have maximized the volume of your WiiM amp as much as possible.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I've tried a plethora of these options.. Switched where I put my bathroom speakers, played with the ohm settings etc. No luck. I think I'll try to talk to wiim or Yamaha directly next..

My marantz avr pre outs to my hegel were way too quiet.
I ended up buying a small active preamp (i.e. effectively an analog signal booster).

Hi,

- Craig
Wiim amp is stand alone unit and can only connect a source with optical out. Yamaha pre out is a connection for power amp and that’s it was design to do and from there you can control the volume via remote on Yamaha . You do not connect anything from pre out unless it’s power amp or risking damaging either or both.

My marantz avr pre outs to my hegel were way too quiet.
I ended up buying a small active preamp (i.e. effectively an analog signal booster).
Amazon sells line level booster but that’s another chain on the line that could add distortion.

Back