hdmi arc issue

jon!

I have my Wiim Amp connected to a 2020 LG OLED through the hdmi arc out. When I set my tv to send audio through hdmi arc it detects the wiim amp and I get audio and can control it via the tv remote, including turning it off together with the tv. However when turning the tv back on, the amp usually stays off and when I turn it on manually, it is not detected by the tv. I don't get sound and controlling it with the tv remote doesn't work. I have to go into the tv's settings and switch back to the tv's speaker and then reenable hdmi arc. If I do that, the amp is detected again by the tv and it will work again until I turn off the tv. It did work once or twice, where turning on the tv would also wake up the amp and sound worked fine, however it usually doesn't.
The amp is connected directly to the tv (no switch) with the included cable. I'm on the latest firmware 5.0.606744 and the settings for detecting a signal over hdmi and allowing the tv to control the amp are active. I tried deactivating one or both of them but it makes no difference for my issue. It feels like there is a problem with the cec implementation on the amp.
Anything I could try?

I have given it plenty of time, that is not the issue. The few times that it worked, waking up happens quite quickly. When I turn on the amp manually, it might even detetct, that there is an active device connected to hdmi, but it doesn't communicate with the tv. The tv keeps telling me, that there is no device detected, so there is no sound through hdmi.

Reboot the device and you,re television thats what i would do now. Maybe it helps detecting the WIIM.

I have rebooted the tv, haven't tried a different cable, yet. I can do that tonight.
Ok hope this wil help. Maybe search the forum also to see of people experience simular issues with HDMI arc not detecting the AMP.

I have my Wiim Amp connected to a 2020 LG OLED through the hdmi arc out. When I set my tv to send audio through hdmi arc it detects the wiim amp and I get audio and can control it via the tv remote, including turning it off together with the tv. However when turning the tv back on, the amp usually stays off and when I turn it on manually, it is not detected by the tv. I don't get sound and controlling it with the tv remote doesn't work. I have to go into the tv's settings and switch back to the tv's speaker and then reenable hdmi arc. If I do that, the amp is detected again by the tv and it will work again until I turn off the tv. It did work once or twice, where turning on the tv would also wake up the amp and sound worked fine, however it usually doesn't.
The amp is connected directly to the tv (no switch) with the included cable. I'm on the latest firmware 5.0.606744 and the settings for detecting a signal over hdmi and allowing the tv to control the amp are active. I tried deactivating one or both of them but it makes no difference for my issue. It feels like there is a problem with the cec implementation on the amp.
Anything I could try?
HI Jon!,

Please help send us a ticket from the WiiM Home App by selecting the 'Settings' Tab > 'Feedback'. Our team will look at this immediately and hopefully, we can resolve this for you soon. Please also share the TV model so we can reproduce your issues in our lab.

Thank you once again for your support and apologies for the inconvenience caused!

I'm on the latest firmware 5.0.606744 and the settings for detecting a signal over hdmi and allowing the tv to control the amp are active.
By that phrase, are you referring to the (pretty new) setting HDMI-CEC Power Control?

IMG_20240209_183022.jpg

If this is enabled (and autosensing of optical-in and HDMI) then you should expect the TV to detect the WiiM Amp and switch to HDMI (if necessary, indeed).

Unfortunately, ARC and CEC compatibility is a real issue. Lots of trouble reported in many different AV forums. The specs appear to be very ambiguous. You might still try to check your TVs menu for hidden settings related to CEC. And, of course, do submit feedback to WiiM.

Admittedly, I have seen intermittent problems like yours that could never be fully resolved, while other combinations of TV and amp are just working fine every time. Good luck.

I’ve had this issue before. I changed the HDMI cable for the amp and disconnected my Amazon fire stick from the TV (never used it anyway) and haven’t had the issue since. Don’t know which of the 2 things I did fixed it but it worked.

If changing the HDMI cable doesn’t fix it, I’d disconnect all HDMI devices from your TV. Connect the amp and just use that for a while. If the amp works as expected then your issue is with another HDMI device.

I’ve self diagnosed my own issue and I could be wrong, but always felt the issue was with my TV and its handling of different HDMI inputs, not the amp

Did you reboot you,re tv? If it doesn,t help ..can you try another HDMI cable?
Switching out the cable makes no difference.

By that phrase, are you referring to the (pretty new) setting HDMI-CEC Power Control?

If this is enabled (and autosensing of optical-in and HDMI) then you should expect the TV to detect the WiiM Amp and switch to HDMI (if necessary, indeed).
Yes, that is what I was referring to, both of these setting are enabled.

If changing the HDMI cable doesn’t fix it, I’d disconnect all HDMI devices from your TV. Connect the amp and just use that for a while. If the amp works as expected then your issue is with another HDMI device.
There are no other hdmi devices conntected to my tv, I use only the built in apps to stream content.

I think I found a workaround, though. I switched the input to hdmi 2 (which is hdmi arc on this tv) and as long as I leave it like that, the tv will reliably wake up the amp. Since I don't use other hdmi devices with this tv, it makes no difference to me what input it is set to.

Switching out the cable makes no difference.

Yes, that is what I was referring to, both of these setting are enabled.

There are no other hdmi devices conntected to my tv, I use only the built in apps to stream content.

I think I found a workaround, though. I switched the input to hdmi 2 (which is hdmi arc on this tv) and as long as I leave it like that, the tv will reliably wake up the amp. Since I don't use other hdmi devices with this tv, it makes no difference to me what input it is set to.
Yes your amp has to be connected to the hdmi arc input for sound to work.

If your LG is like mine, you need to use HDMI-2. That's the only one that is ARC.
Hooking the amp to any other HDMI port won't turn the amp on when you turn on the TV.
In the sound out settings on the TV, that has to be set to HDMI as well.

If your LG is like mine, you need to use HDMI-2. That's the only one that is ARC.
Hooking the amp to any other HDMI port won't turn the amp on when you turn on the TV.
In the sound out settings on the TV, that has to be set to HDMI as well.
Dude... please read before you post. The amp has been connected to port 2 from the start, as I have stated in the first post. I have not switched the port during this whole thing. I have switched the selected INPUT. As in what port the tv gets its video feed from. I have to switch that to hdmi 2 which makes no sense, since it is configured as hdmi arc and does not display anything.

Calm down. Just community members trying to help here. :)

Good you got that sorted, it's the LG TV that is misbehaving.

Unfortunately, ARC and CEC compatibility is a real issue. Lots of trouble reported in many different AV forums. The specs appear to be very ambiguous. You might still try to check your TVs menu for hidden settings related to CEC. And, of course, do submit feedback to WiiM.

Admittedly, I have seen intermittent problems like yours that could never be fully resolved, while other combinations of TV and amp are just working fine every time. Good luck.
Agreed. While the Amp now has the option to be turned on by HDMI CEC, it relies on the TV powering up, realising it has an ARC connection to some device and to send that device a power on request over CEC, which it may be able to do or not do. As you say, HDMI ARC and CEC compatibility can be very hit and miss.

Dude... please read before you post. The amp has been connected to port 2 from the start, as I have stated in the first post. I have not switched the port during this whole thing. I have switched the selected INPUT. As in what port the tv gets its video feed from. I have to switch that to hdmi 2 which makes no sense, since it is configured as hdmi arc and does not display anything.
I did read all the post and your last comment seemed to indicate that you had just switched to HDMI 2. Just trying to help you, but I guess you've figured it out already that you have to tell the TV to use the ARC port.

"I think I found a workaround, though. I switched the input to hdmi 2 (which is hdmi arc on this tv) and as long as I leave it like that, the tv will reliably wake up the amp. Since I don't use other hdmi devices with this tv, it makes no difference to me what input it is set to."

Back