Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

Just received this message from Wiim, in response to my reporting the "tinny" room correction:

"The algorithm has been rolled back; please attempt to create the room again."

Looking forward to trying anew later today. 🤠
Are they giving you an old firmware?

Are they giving you an old firmware?
I didn't notice any change unless they updated it overnight - I didn't check version numbers but the "algorithm" has changed as it sounds a lot better than it did, which wouldn't have been hard. Give it another try on your system

I didn't notice any change unless they updated it overnight - I didn't check version numbers but the "algorithm" has changed as it sounds a lot better than it did, which wouldn't have been hard. Give it another try on your system
Check the build date and version. The first firmware was sound good and could hear improvement. I remember that it does inverse correction whatever it measure from the room now the new firmware look out of whack cutting bass and boosting treble. I have room correction off now as it sound tiny and bright regardless of curve.

If just reverted the algorithm to the previous version, I don't think the firmware is relevant. 🤔

If just reverted the algorithm to the previous version, I don't think the firmware is relevant. 🤔
But it does beg the question as I posted earlier as to where this 'algorithm' resides. If the firmware and app didn't update, some of the computation or data must be held on the WiiM servers themselves

But it does beg the question as I posted earlier as to where this 'algorithm' resides. If the firmware and app didn't update, some of the computation or data must be held on the WiiM servers themselves
According to the WiiM team's mail posted by Giro413, it seems that there has been no firmware roll back.🤔

The "algorithm" is just a transfer function that accepts the room measurement as an input and creates a set of PEQ settings as an output. Since this is a one-time computation (for each room measurement), it makes sense that its not done in firmware on the Amp (or Pro/+). Seems logical to me to do it in server software.

Is there some concern you have with that approach, or just surprised?

The "algorithm" is just a transfer function that accepts the room measurement as an input and creates a set of PEQ settings as an output. Since this is a one-time computation (for each room measurement), it makes sense that its not done in firmware on the Amp (or Pro/+). Seems logical to me to do it in server software.

I presumed it’d be done in your phone.

Definitely sounds better now than it did. I'll need to do a comparison between that and the results from HouseCurve and the Dayton IMM-6 mic I have for my old Ipad Pro
Sounds a lot better here, too. I now get a noticeably fuller sound when Room Correction is turned on. Will have to listen a little longer to know if it hits the spot, but so far it sounds pretty great to me.

No concern, just curiosity as to why it wouldn't be done in the app on your phone which would likely have the means to do it

No concern, just curiosity as to why it wouldn't be done in the app on your phone which would likely have the means to do it
I agree the phone has the computational resources to do the math. But there are advantages for Wiim -- especially in this beta stage -- to having it on the servers. If on the phone, Wiim would need to push an app update every time they tweak the algorithm, whereas on servers they can tweak whenever they wish. Keeping it on the servers also keeps the app "lighter".
Perhaps - speculation on my part - if there is any third-party software involved, there may be a cost/licensing benefit to keeping it on the servers (more secure, likely lower user numbers since a subset of product owners will mess w/ RC).
And since there is no realtime or local functionality involved, there is zero need/benefit to having it on the phone.

And since there is no realtime or local functionality involved, there is zero need/benefit to having it on the phone.
I'd disagree as there shouldn't be any need for an internet connection if you want to do room correction unless some/all phones don't have the grunt to do it.
I do know from experience that Linn's Space Optimisation is server based

I'd disagree as there shouldn't be any need for an internet connection if you want to do room correction unless some/all phones don't have the grunt to do it.
I do know from experience that Linn's Space Optimisation is server based
Valid point. I suppose it would be nice to not need internet when doing RC, although in practice it seems like a narrow case.

We all may have to live without RC in our remote log cabins! :)

The first screenshot is from yesterday and the second from just now. As mentioned, an improved sound but still way off for me to listen to unfortunately.

View attachment 6905View attachment 6906
Just watch the grey trace: Measurement (pre-correction) is vastly different from before. But it's still totally wrong, just in a different direction. As has been confirmed by your own HouseCurve measurement.

No matter what algorithm will work based on that data, the outcome will not be acceptable.

The initial firmware which in my ear sound good but after that there were firmware that made sounds tiny and bright by boosting treble and cutting off the bass. I think the inverted measurement were the best than any thing that was offer to date. Let say measurements say bass was cut 3db 50hz then eq need to boost that to 3db like the original firmware.

Could I please remind all beta testers that if you feel there’s a large disparity in the measurements that could actually be a bug, please use the settings/feedback mechanism in the app to bring this directly to WiiM’s attention - don’t rely on them just reading this thread as they may find it beneficial to examine your device logs as well which they can only do thru the formal feedback route. By all means refer them to the discussion here as well.

Thanks

Good reminder. I submitted a bug through the apps feedback tool and tagged it ‘Device Setup’ - is that the best category or do you suggest a different category? I didn’t see anything for beta features or RC.

That being said, my results (PEQ attached) are in line with what everyone else is experiencing. Bass cut a little (though still in the realm of reasonable) but everything else absolutely crushed. Nearly every band is pegged at the max -6dB or close to it. Resulting sound is horrible - murky, muddy, muffled, no sparkle or highs at all. I remeasured 3-4 times and tried both Harmon and B&K. Long way to go on RC, but this is what betas are for!

I saw this mentioned in a thread somewhere, but not sure if any decisions have been made so… I’d like to suggest this as the perfect rationale for why the 10 band PEQ should exist as a standalone option from RC. If RC is active and works well, it can take over the EQ settings, but otherwise having the ability to use REW or Housecurve to manually setup a filter is crucial.

Attachments

• IMG_8548.jpeg
    IMG_8548.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
I saw this mentioned in a thread somewhere, but not sure if any decisions have been made so… I’d like to suggest this as the perfect rationale for why the 10 band PEQ should exist as a standalone option from RC. If RC is active and works well, it can take over the EQ settings, but otherwise having the ability to use REW or Housecurve to manually setup a filter is crucial.
It already exists for the beta firmware and the Android app which doesn’t support RC

Hi,

To streamline the feedback we're rolling out a feedback platform, that we'd like our testers to submit feedback through.

For those who are beta testing the Room Correction feature, please select "Beta: Room Correction" and create an account through this platform. Our team will review the feedback sent through this platform.

WiiM Testing & Feedback Community

If you would like to join as a beta tester, please sign in, and we'll send you the beta firmware.

The goal is eventually moving all our feedback-related submissions through this Centercode platform. We're still tweaking the platform so thanks for your patience.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thank you!
WiiM Team

Back