Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

Same here with the tinny sound using RC (was just added to beta this morning). Screen shots below of harman curve according to HouseCurve and according to WiiM RC.

Using iPhone 15, case off. 6 feet from speakers. First picture is HouseCurve. Second is Wiim RC.

View attachment 6888View attachment 6889

Probably helpful if you share screen grabs of the other pages.

Cheers.

Probably helpful if you share screen grabs of the other pages.

Cheers.
Ah, good point. Full set of screen grabs below. First two are WiiM RC. Last two are HouseCurve. I had to rerun RC to screenshot the graph, so measurements shifted a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_6031.png
    IMG_6031.png
    968.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6029.png
    IMG_6029.png
    993.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6028.png
    IMG_6028.png
    455.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6026.jpeg
    IMG_6026.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Pretty much the same. I did do all three options earlier on and there wasn’t much difference to my ears. I don’t have the full package for the HouseCurve. I just used it as a baseline for a manual adjust in the WiiM PEQ.

Cheers. Did you get that just from the free version?

Also, have you tried correcting using WiiM’s suggestions, then re-measuring with HouseCurve to see if the results on HC look anything like the WiiM’s predictions?

That could be, at least, a good starting point, I think.

Last edited:
I‘ve received the RC & 10 filter peq beta today aswell.

I have observed similar issues as you guys - too much boost for higher frequencies and way too big cuts for bass freqs.

Using HouseCurve equalizer filters currently and so far the peq works well.

I assume there is a major bug in the room correction calculation process.

-> Anyway: I‘m really happy about all the new features and the fast development speed!!!

Cheers. Did you get that just from the free version?

Also, have you tried correcting using WiiM’s suggestions, then re-measuring with HouseCurve to see if the results on HC look anything like the WiiM’s predictions?

That could be, at least, a good starting point, I think.
Yes, this is just what the free version generates. It sends the test tones via Airplay to the WiiM. Any analysis is in the paid version. I guess to do the further tests you’re assuming that the HouseCurve test tones would get corrected in the WiiM?

Yes, this is just what the free version generates. It sends the test tones via Airplay to the WiiM. Any analysis is in the paid version. I guess to do the further tests you’re assuming that the HouseCurve test tones would get corrected in the WiiM?

No, I’m thinking if HouseCurve measures similar to WiiM, put in the WiiM recommendations, and test again.

Does the actual result in HC look anything like WiiM’s prediction?

Compared to the first version, the equalization appears to be averaged.

In the @cc_rider graph, gray and pink were almost inversely correlated.
1000000264.jpg

The pink line of @Trailer is smooth.
1000000265.jpg

Maybe this averaging isn't working well, but I'm also concerned about the large range of measurements.

I'm curious to see what happens if put the microphone in close proximity to the speaker and measure it.

BTW, I’m not as familiar with the BK curve, but I believe the Harman slope is -10dB from 20Hz to 20kHz.

That yellow BK line is far shallower. Maybe try Harman?

Also getting a tinny, almost muffled, and bass-lacking sound. Sounds awful, really. Using mic on iPhone 14 Pro.

Attachments

• IMG_3504.png
    IMG_3504.png
    882.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3505.png
    IMG_3505.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 20
Ah, yes. Here is the WiiM using the B&K curve.

View attachment 6890
Those measurements performed by the WiiM app are completely off. There's no need to even discuss what's happening at 300 Hz or wherever.

The broad trough between 1500 Hz and 6000 Hz is totally bonkers and the level above 6 kHz reduced by at least 15 dB doesn't help.

It looks like WiiM Home is either using the wrong mic.or applying a totally wrong mic compensation. Any EQ based on these measurements must result in total disaster. This is currently unusable with your device.

The Home curve measurements look really reasonable by comparison.

Could I please remind all beta testers that if you feel there’s a large disparity in the measurements that could actually be a bug, please use the settings/feedback mechanism in the app to bring this directly to WiiM’s attention - don’t rely on them just reading this thread as they may find it beneficial to examine your device logs as well which they can only do thru the formal feedback route. By all means refer them to the discussion here as well.

Thanks

I am glad for the 10-band PEQ, but as far as automated RC, there is still a long way to go...
Perhaps, getting a measurement mic like umik1 and running REW would be the best case scenario. Regardless, looking at the curve, something seems to be way off.

I received the Room Correction beta firmware today for the Pro. Ran it through the three curve options and on all three it made the bass disappear and overtly cranked the treble up. Made the sound "tinny" to say the least with all the richness disappearing. Speakers are B&W 804s floorstanders. I have been using the HomeCurve app previously and that gave me a far more natural and flatter response - to my ears anyway.
I reported this before it cut the bass and boost treble it made sound tin and bright. The initial firmware it sound great and in fact improvement over no eq.

Does it seem odd only to me that the engineers at Wiim did not notice that behaviour after all this time ?

Compared to the first version, the equalization appears to be averaged.

In the @cc_rider graph, gray and pink were almost inversely correlated.
View attachment 6895

The pink line of @Trailer is smooth.
View attachment 6896

Maybe this averaging isn't working well, but I'm also concerned about the large range of measurements.

I'm curious to see what happens if put the microphone in close proximity to the speaker and measure it.
The first graph which is first firmware sounds great but the latest beta it sound tiny cutting bass and boosting treble.

Back