WiiM Pro: Squeezelite Client Beta - Testing Experience

Brantome

Please use this thread only to discuss your personal experience with the testing of the Squeezelite Client feature and the beta firmware you requested. This thread should not replace submitting tickets as that route provides WiiM support with the necessary device and app logs to diagnose and hopefully fix any issues.

From what WiiM have already posted:

"We appreciate your ongoing participation as a Beta tester.

If you encounter any issues during the update process or while using this function, please do not hesitate to contact us. Your feedback is invaluable to us.

Thank you for your continued support and contribution to our Beta testing program!"

** 4.8.526553 Squeezelite beta FW released 18Aug23 **

[Latest update on Squeezelite development, 24Aug23]

Dear Team,

I am happy to inform you that we have fixed all reported issues by our Beta users and will release Beta 2 later today. It includes the following fixes:
  • Unable to do source switching between squeezelite and CAST
  • Incorrect metadata display for squeezelite on the WiiM Home App
  • Incorrect playback status for Squeezelite on the WiiM Home App
  • Incorrect sample rate for squeezelite
Thank you all once again for your invaluable feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Team,

Thank you everyone for sharing your feedback – it truly is invaluable.

We're aware that the WHA issue with Squeezelite is ongoing and is currently being worked on. We're committed to resolving it in the upcoming two weeks.

We've taken note of the reported instability when switching between squeezelite and other functions. Rest assured, we're addressing this concern and ensuring that squeezelite will seamlessly integrate with the rest of the system.

Hi Team,

Thank you everyone for sharing your feedback – it truly is invaluable.

We're aware that the WHA issue with Squeezelite is ongoing and is currently being worked on. We're committed to resolving it in the upcoming two weeks.

We've taken note of the reported instability when switching between squeezelite and other functions. Rest assured, we're addressing this concern and ensuring that squeezelite will seamlessly integrate with the rest of the system.
I haven't personally encountered such issues, but I am using squeezelite functionality virtually all the time
Occasionally, like when I took it outside with a pair of computer speakers and was doing chores, I prefer to run the app with streaming services so that I can shut down the server
Squeezelite can be running without affecting the sound of of non-squeezelite players - at least, I was able to run dietpi on my raspberry Pi and either employ squeezelite functionality or plex audio/video. I never tried to do this simultaneously but am able to go back and forth without issue

Thanks for working on the squeezelite functionality, it's a game changer for this product

Been trying the beta and I'm very impressed. For me this will now replace the LMS uPnP plugin, which I've been using until now, and thus give me direct access to Wiim/Squeezelite as a player. Surely a big boost in potential users for the Wiim Pro.

Been trying the beta and I'm very impressed. For me this will now replace the LMS uPnP plugin, which I've been using until now, and thus give me direct access to Wiim/Squeezelite as a player. Surely a big boost in potential users for the Wiim Pro.
For me, this feature moves the Wiim into my existing infrastructure
So, if I am running my LMS server, it's another device available for home audio playback
I can have different streams in different parts of the house or synced streams throughout the house
If I shut down the server, Wiim's app can stream on it's own or from phone/laptop for say. Spotify
Personally, I like the flexibility and believe that the squeezelite functionality is slightly different sounding, as I am able to oversample streams from LMS server up to 176.4 or 192
I also have more limited hi def sources
I'm hopeful that the squeezelite functionality development leads to DOP/Native DSD playback, if only for the pro plus model
Wiim team, I am routing for yas!!

Well, first issue for me, fixed 44.1 sample rate. Is there a way to set the resolution in LMS?
Hi onlyoneme,

We have tried to reproduce this issue in our lab without success. Please kindly send feedback with the WiiM Home App so we can troubleshoot it further. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Two things noticed up to now. Firstly, with smart cross-fade turned on in LMS I'm getting an audible pop around 5 seconds into the following track regardless of any change in bitrate or sample change. Secondly, there is no control with the WHA as the controls are greyed out, but if you reduce now playing to the tray you can pause and restart.....a bit strange!
Hi Stessull,

We have tried to reproduce this issue in our lab without success. Please kindly send feedback on the WiiM Home App so we can troubleshoot it further. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

No Limit is the default.

I'd imagine so but it should be 192,000 if you are using internal DAC or whatever you have set in app for Optical/Coax. They probably haven't got that sorted yet.

It's all moot for me as I've not got the firmware yet but my first test would be synchronisation. Unfortunately (but logically) if you sync a group of players the sample/bitrate is the lowest of the group - so 16/44.1 until that bit is fixed.
Hi d6jg, Team

The sample rate and bit depth will adhere to the settings you configure in the WiiM Home App when using the optical/coaxial interface. If you use the Line OUT, it's up to 192k/24-bit.

Hi onlyoneme,

We have tried to reproduce this issue in our lab without success. Please kindly send feedback with the WiiM Home App so we can troubleshoot it further. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Hi @WiiM Support !

It's not easy to reproduce it. It happened to me twice so far that the sample rate has "locked" on the specific value. I think it's related to switching between audio services or WiiM inputs.

I will send a ticket when it happens again.

An update from me.
Squeezelite is working perfectly and unlike others I can swap between WHA sources and LMS via squeezelite with no issue. I am however always stopping playback before the switch.
I have tested synchronisation via LMS with an SB Touch and also with a Raspberyy Pi runiing Squeezelite. All good.
Smart Crossfade and Smart Gain are both working as intended.
Well done WiiM - could you please put this on the Mini ASAP?
I'd be interested to hear from WiiM how easy or difficult it was to implement Squeezelite in comparison to Roon and also if they will be able to tell how many people end up using each?

Pro connected via Coax to Onkyo CD Receiver (24/96)

Hi Stessull,

We have tried to reproduce this issue in our lab without success. Please kindly send feedback on the WiiM Home App so we can troubleshoot it further. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Hi support.
I submitted a ticket 3 days ago. "489514 Squeezelight beta"

Hi @WiiM Support !

It's not easy to reproduce it. It happened to me twice so far that the sample rate has "locked" on the specific value. I think it's related to switching between audio services or WiiM inputs.

I will send a ticket when it happens again.
@WiiM Support
I think I know how to reproduce "locking" case.
I've used LMS and I've enabled both squeezelite and AirPlay interfaces of the Pro.
1. Let's play something over AirPlay. Sample rate is set to 44.1.
2. Let's start playing a playlist with content of the same sample rate, but different than 44.1, over squeezelite. Nothing happens, AirPlay stream is still played.
3. Let's stop AirPlay stream. Squeezelite stream is finally played, but with 44.1 sample rate regardless of the song sample rate.
4. Sample rate remains locked to 44.1.

I will send a ticket.

Bug? - Corrupted Sound

Not sure if this is the right place to raise test issues. But twice now in the last four days since I started using the squeezeplayer functionality, the audio has "gone strange" after a period of time. It did it when I first used the squeezeplayer functionality. I was listening to a locally stored track (Bitrate: 2036kbps VBR, Sample Rate: 96.0 kHz, Sample Size: 24Bits). I put it down to a one off glitch. But the second time was today and I was listening to BBC Radio 2 (via LMS/Squeezeplayer) (Bitrate: 320kbps CBR, Sample Rate: 48.0 kHz). I can't reproduce the problem, which I know is not very helpful.

Note - The second time, I captured an audio clip (on my phone) of what it sounded like (see attached). Never had this before when I was using PiCorePlayer, so its odd it's happing now I'm using the Wiim Pro. I've not changed anything else in my set up. LMS is version 8.3.1 and has been for some time.

Attachments

• recording-file.zip
    69.5 KB · Views: 4
Bug? - Corrupted Sound

Not sure if this is the right place to raise test issues. But twice now in the last four days since I started using the squeezeplayer functionality, the audio has "gone strange" after a period of time. It did it when I first used the squeezeplayer functionality. I was listening to a locally stored track (Bitrate: 2036kbps VBR, Sample Rate: 96.0 kHz, Sample Size: 24Bits). I put it down to a one off glitch. But the second time was today and I was listening to BBC Radio 2 (via LMS/Squeezeplayer) (Bitrate: 320kbps CBR, Sample Rate: 48.0 kHz). I can't reproduce the problem, which I know is not very helpful.

Note - The second time, I captured an audio clip (on my phone) of what it sounded like (see attached). Never had this before when I was using PiCorePlayer, so its odd it's happing now I'm using the Wiim Pro. I've not changed anything else in my set up. LMS is version 8.3.1 and has been for some time.
As requested in the post header, please submit a ticket via the feedback section on the WiiM app.

Before the squeezelite beta was released, I used the LMS UPNPBridge plugin and occasionally after an hour or two I would get similar warbling and popping after listening to Greatest Hits radio via the Planet Radio plugin. Clearing the queue and restarting would solve it. So it might actually be a LMS issue rather than a WiiM Squeezelite issue. I'd maybe post on the slimdevices forum too.

I haven't experienced it as yet with the WiiM client but as you say, it's random and not that predictable.

Back