Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

If Wiim RC added the ability to revalidate correction results, would RC be more accurate?

For example:
  1. Measure Sweep
  2. correction
  3. Measure sweep after PEQ application
  4. Verification and correction (remove ineffective bands, correct excessive values)
  5. Measure sweep after PEQ application
  6. Verification and correction (remove ineffective bands, correct excessive values)
It could loop this endlessly, but it actually takes about 3 repetitions to complete. (Of course, this is assuming that the RC is making accurate measurements.)

It's just an idea...

Thing is, I always thought that there is no measured graph after EQ ...
We do the verification stage during the manual acoustic correction, it could be a part of the automated process too. To show that single sweep in the stereo mode is not always the best idea ;)

We do the verification stage during the manual acoustic correction, it could be a part of the automated process too.
Yes, it could be, but I don't think it is.

Take a look at the latest posting by @Giro413:
IMG_3521.jpeg
The grey trace plus the magenta trace (linear multiplication equals addition in the logarithmic scale) pretty much exactly meet the the yellow target trace.

For me this is the clear proof that "Measured" is not the measured result after applying EQ. It's definitely the foundation on which EQ is calculated.

... is not always the best idea ;)
I couldn't agree more.

For me this is the clear proof that "Measured" is not the measured result after applying EQ. It's definitely the foundation on which EQ is calculated.
I'm pretty sure it works as you describe. The second sweep signal would be impossible to miss.

I only have 4 with the standard firmware. When did yours change?
Just yesterday with firmware 5.0.615252.

IMG_20240501_214958.jpg

I don't have any RC features (I'm on Android, anyway) and I also don't have WiiM Home app version 2.9.6 (if this exists for Android). My app version is 2.9.4.240428, but still I do see the 10 band PEQ feature.

Either the firmware nor the app are marked as being beta software.My previously saved EQ settings sis get lost, so the behaviour is consistent with what beta testers have reported so far.

Just yesterday with firmware 5.0.615252.

View attachment 6931

I don't have any RC features (I'm on Android, anyway) and I also don't have WiiM Home app version 2.9.6 (if this exists for Android). My app version is 2.9.4.240428, but still I do see the 10 band PEQ feature.

Either the firmware nor the app are marked as being beta software.My previously saved EQ settings sis get lost, so the behaviour is consistent with what beta testers have reported so far.
OK, I don't have that firmware yet. Signed up for the beta so I'm yet to see which firmware I'll get next.

615251 for the Pro Plus is marked as beta, the one with RC.
🤷‍♂️ I had originally applied for the RC beta but never received confirmation or any beta release before. I have not applied for the new feedback community (yet).

And as I said, this firmware is not marked as beta on my Amp.

I tried the calibration yesterday, just out of interest. The result was disastrous. Bass nowhere, treble prominent. I'm listening on "flat" (no EQ, amp at zero - pure direct) and it sounds great in the room, it's well soundproofed (Wharfedale Evo 4.2, Denon PMA-510AE, WiiM Pro Plus). I also tried cleaning the microphones (iPhone 14 Plus). Am I doing something wrong with the calibration? The result is unusable.

Attachments

• IMG_5813.jpeg
    IMG_5813.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 30
I tried the calibration yesterday, just out of interest. The result was disastrous. Bass nowhere, treble prominent. I'm listening on "flat" (no EQ, amp at zero - pure direct) and it sounds great in the room, it's well soundproofed (Wharfedale Evo 4.2, Denon PMA-510AE, WiiM Pro Plus). I also tried cleaning the microphones (iPhone 14 Plus). Am I doing something wrong with the calibration? The result is unusable.
Like others have said the initial measurement curve looks inaccurate. You have 38dB difference between 80Hz and 10kHz which is unlikely. This results in the EQ thinking it needs to drastically reduce the bass and boost the high end.

I’ve tried today House Curve with my Umik-1. Applied the PEQ filters on the Amp and damn, this sound gorgeous. I started picking music from my Qobuz favs and enjoyed my afternoon as a kid!

I’ve tried today House Curve with my Umik-1. Applied the PEQ filters on the Amp and damn, this sound gorgeous. I started picking music from my Qobuz favs and enjoyed my afternoon as a kid!
How did connect umik 1 isn’t that usb?

So, I rerun the RC it now fix the bass but cut too much high resulting muffled sound. This is on flat curve.

The measurement is saying your bass at 80Hz is 40dB above 10kHz.

That sounds…unusual.

🤷‍♂️ I had originally applied for the RC beta but never received confirmation or any beta release before. I have not applied for the new feedback community (yet).

And as I said, this firmware is not marked as beta on my Amp.
Maybe they finally sent you beta firmware from your original application 😀. I have seen other posts saying that beta firmware isn't always marked as beta.

I see a possible problem with the compensation applied when recording a measurement. If compensation is too high in db the sum of actual captured low frequencies + db boost of compensation would result in a measured bass level that would require more correction - but wrongly. Therefore the thin sound...due to excessive bass cut due to overestimated bass response because of the bigger compensation.

It is always better to have more bass than less bass...

Internal Mic Compensation​

The average built in iPhone/iPad microphone is reasonably flat, but begins to roll off below ~60 Hz. Internal Mic Compensation brings the measured response closer to what you would get with a calibrated external mic. It is worth keeping in mind that the iPhone/iPad can still “hear” below 60 Hz, it is just not as sensitive.

I see a possible problem with the compensation applied when recording a measurement. If compensation is too high in db the sum of actual captured low frequencies + db boost of compensation would result in a measured bass level that would require more correction - but wrongly. Therefore the thin sound...due to excessive bass cut due to overestimated bass response because of the bigger compensation.

It is always better to have more bass than less bass...

Internal Mic Compensation​

The average built in iPhone/iPad microphone is reasonably flat, but begins to roll off below ~60 Hz. Internal Mic Compensation brings the measured response closer to what you would get with a calibrated external mic. It is worth keeping in mind that the iPhone/iPad can still “hear” below 60 Hz, it is just not as sensitive.
Possibly but how do you explain the nearly 40dB difference between 80Hz and 10kHz in the recent post?

Possibly but how do you explain the nearly 40dB difference between 80Hz and 10kHz in the recent post?
80 hz is a usual suspect for room modes that can exaggerate the magnitude. Moreover you can have resonance from your speaker itself or have them too close to the wall or corner . On top of that it maybe the exaggerated compensation applied from the wiim starts from 80hz (what I quoted was from housecurve manual regarding 60hz). You may have dumped the room so much that higher frequencies are absorbed too much? If the loudest low frequency is higher lets say 20db than your lowest high to me it is normal, 40 db is not... I just don't understand the scale of the measurement. In housecurve it is different ( the scale examined in housecurve is -20 to -30dbfs). Surely wiim recording process is doing something wrong and that is the main suspect, but it could also be your system and room treatments that contribute to this result to a degree.

Last edited:
Back