Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

80 hz is a usual suspect for room modes that can exaggerate the magnitude. Moreover you can have resonance from your speaker itself or have them too close to the wall . On top of that it maybe the exaggerated compensation applied from the wiim starts from 80hz (what I quoted was from housecurve manual regarding 60hz). You may have dumped the room so much that higher frequencies are absorbed too much? If the loudest low frequency is higher lets say 20db than your lowest high to me it is normal, 40 db is not... I just don't understand the scale of the measurement. In housecurve it is different ( the scale examined in housecurve is -20 to -30dbfs). Surely wiim recording process is doing something wrong and that is the main suspect, but it could also be your system that contributes to this to a degree.
The post showing the measurement graph also suggested that without Room Correction it sound great so the WiiM measurement is definitely suspect.

The post showing the measurement graph also suggested that without Room Correction it sound great so the WiiM measurement is definitely suspect.
if it sounds great and that greatness corresponds to correctness that is +-3db degrees radius on a downward slope of -10 to -12db, then wiim should have a way to suggest that no correction is required to be performed. However as I said wiim maybe has a problem with how it applies compensation to mics therefore the exaggerated results and subsequently wrong corrections.

In any case if you download housecurve app on your iphone and do 10 measurements it will average them and give you a curve. Post it here for comparison reasons.

if it sounds great and that greatness corresponds to correctness that is +-3db degrees radius on a downward slope of -10 to -12db, then wiim should have a way to suggest that no correction is required to be performed. However as I said wiim maybe has a problem with how it applies compensation to mics therefore the exaggerated results and subsequently wrong corrections.

In any case if you download housecurve app on your iphone and do 10 measurements it will average them and give you a curve. Post it here for comparison reasons.
It isn't my room or system. Yes I agree, if the original poster uses a different app to measure the same system we should see where the problem lies.

Once again, if you have an iPhone you can download HouseCurve for free, and run a room measurement. As far as I can tell, HouseCurve is generally seen as reliable and accurate.

If anyone is finding the WiiM one to be ‘off’, compare the two. I don’t have RC yet, but comparing the WiiM measurement to HouseCurve would be the first thing I’d do, before I’d even listened.

reading these threads, the priority is to recover an efficient peq coupled with the use of rew or housecurve ( view in paid mode) etc , and let wiim progress quietly on this rc mode and make it successful...
It takes time and competance...

Last edited:
There’s a strong argument for only EQ-ing below the Schroeder Frequency - there are calculators online to find what your room’s is.

So run EQ, write down the EQ the WiiM has calculated at or below that, then turn room correction off and just input the EQ for lower frequencies.
Ran a couple of Schroeder’s frequency tests on my 5m x 4m room and it seems that I should cut off RC lower than around 180-200 hz, if I get it whole process right. Does that mean that the following is correct? Please see images.

Attachments

• IMG_3526.jpeg
    IMG_3526.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3527.png
    IMG_3527.png
    200.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3528.png
    IMG_3528.png
    753.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3529.png
    IMG_3529.png
    884.9 KB · Views: 44
Ran a couple of Schroeder’s frequency tests on my 5m x 4m room and it seems that I should cut off RC lower than around 180-200 hz, if I get it whole process right. Does that mean that the following is correct? Please see images.
The other way around - in theory the best way is to let the RC EQ below 200Hz (only cuts, no boosts), and do minor adjustments above 200Hz based on your speakers' frequency response. Personally, I wouldn't boost anything by more than 3dB (your max gain is at 6dB). But as with a lot of these things - take the guidelines for what they are and adjust it to your taste :) at the end of the day it's about what sounds good to you.

Edit: just realized you don't have anything to cut below 200Hz. Can you turn up your sub (if you have one)?

The other way around - in theory the best way is to let the RC EQ below 200Hz (only cuts, no boosts), and do minor adjustments above 200Hz based on your speakers' frequency response. Personally, I wouldn't boost anything by more than 3dB (your max gain is at 6dB). But as with a lot of these things - take the guidelines for what they are and adjust it to your taste :) at the end of the day it's about what sounds good to you.

Edit: just realized you don't have anything to cut below 200Hz. Can you turn up your sub (if you have one)?
Thank you. Of course - the other way around. Glad I asked :) Yes, I do have a sub (which goes down to 40 hz). Will try to crank it up some, perform RC again and cut off ABOVE 200 hz this time 👍🏼

Thank you. Of course - the other way around. Glad I asked :) Yes, I do have a sub (which goes down to 40 hz). Will try to crank it up some, perform RC again and cut off ABOVE 200 hz this time 👍🏼
If i understand it correctly you only chose 200-20000 as the target curve, change that to something like 40-2000 (2K) don’t change sub output yet, start off with PEQ in the 40-200 range first and see how that sounds and when happy you can extend 40-500 etc step by step will be easier. Btw I am not a Beta Tester, i use House Curve but am following as I’d like the 10 Band PEQ

If i understand it correctly you only chose 200-20000 as the target curve, change that to something like 40-2000 (2K) don’t change sub output yet, start off with PEQ in the 40-200 range first and see how that sounds and when happy you can extend 40-500 etc step by step will be easier. Btw I am not a Beta Tester, i use House Curve but am following as I’d like the 10 Band PEQ
The 200-2000 fr setting is me misunderstanding the Schroeder’s frequency approach. This is performed after running the RC. So I guess following your advice I should invert my selection to as low as possible - 200, listen and increase the increments, listen again… Will give it a go before increasing sub output. Thanks.

Your measured data shows at least two areas of concern, and by concern I mean the quality of the measurement itself. First, this 10 dB hump around 7 - 9 kHz is most certainly not real. It could be caused by the microphone or wrong mic calibration data. Any EQ based on wrong measurements will yield wrong results. The solution has already been mentioned, let RC equalize up to 200 or 300 Hz, only.

However, there is yet another problem. That measurement shows absolutely no meaningful output below ~75 Hz! This is what a small 5" woofer in a ported box is capable of under unechoic conditions! It would go lower in-room. There's absolutely no trace of your subwoofer reaching down to ~40 Hz. The most likely reason is the microphone not being able to capture SPL below 70 or so Hz. Room resonances are typically an issue in this range, so it could well be that the microphone works OK down to ~60 Hz, as has been reported to be the case with some Apple devices.

When performing RC again, listen carefully to the deep bass output. Chances are, RC might try to boost what it thinks is missing bass. The pink line and the PEQ settings will tell you that. If this is the case and bass sounds boomy to you, then you shoul probably increase the lower limit for EQ somewhere around 60 Hz. This is not ideal as it will reduce the usefulness of RC. But if you don't have valid data to start from, automatic RC cannot work. Play around with the lower frequency slider and see what gives the most pleasing results.

Once again, if you have an iPhone you can download HouseCurve for free, and run a room measurement. As far as I can tell, HouseCurve is generally seen as reliable and accurate.

If anyone is finding the WiiM one to be ‘off’, compare the two. I don’t have RC yet, but comparing the WiiM measurement to HouseCurve would be the first thing I’d do, before I’d even listened.
It's possible that I've gotten used to this character and don't find it wrong at all.

Attachments

• IMG_5846.png
    IMG_5846.png
    223.1 KB · Views: 37
It's possible that I've gotten used to this character and don't find it wrong at all.
Set the house curve algo to only cuts . From 20-250hz and max cut to be 3 db and filters 3 . Check the recommended peq settings insert them to Wiim and tell me if you like it. If you haven’t bought it yet buy it . For very little money you get nice results

It's very similar to the WiiM RC measurements you posted in #430 , so these could be the cause of the bass peak.
  • iPhone Mic issues
  • Issues with the iPhone device itself
  • Problems with the room
  • Due to the loudness of the amplifier or the BASS adjustment
  • There is no problem in the first place (your ears are accustomed to excessive bass)

Also, in rare cases, the noise generated at the moment of pressing the start measurement button can cause the graph to jump significantly. This happens independently of measurements.

My fault, my wife must have turned off pure direct while cleaning. Here is the chart with it on. The previous graphs are with loudness active.
Ah that makes sense. When you listen at lower volumes.... So you want to keep that downward curve. Just fix to a small degree the peaks around 40, 80 and 120 the bass will get less muddy and become more clean and precise. The overall clarity will improve. Don't make it touch the yellow line it can be above but not so much. Try the algo with two filters also.

Ah that makes sense. When you listen at lower volumes.... So you want to keep that downward curve. Just fix to a small degree the peaks around 40, 80 and 120 the bass will get less muddy and become more clean and precise. The overall clarity will improve. Don't make it touch the yellow line it can be above but not so much. Try the algo with two filters also.
With room calibration the sound is a bit different, I guess I'll have to get used to it. When I turn the calibrated EQ on and off during a test recording (Yello - Kiss the cloud), it still sounds better to me without the EQ. I guess I've gotten used to the nature of the speakers (I've been picking the right speakers for a long time).
— sorry for my English

With room calibration the sound is a bit different, I guess I'll have to get used to it. When I turn the calibrated EQ on and off during a test recording (Yello - Kiss the cloud), it still sounds better to me without the EQ. I guess I've gotten used to the nature of the speakers (I've been picking the right speakers for a long time).
— sorry for my English
Those effects @steadyshot recommend to fix (manually) are not a characteristic of your speakers, but your speakers in your very room being placed the way they are (and in fact, it's by far mainly the room at those frequencies).
Just give manual EQ a shot if you are not totally satisfied with the automatic RC so far.

Last edited:
Back