4.8.528649 firmware for Pro

Yeah, but you know the fade in effect whether on or off would make zero difference to the perceived effects that are being claimed, which to be are more likely properties of the external DAC‘s output, not the digital bitstream output from the WiiM over coax. I can’t see how the Wiim’s firmware could impact that unless it’s completely broken its bit perfect output and somehow applied the perceived sound quality changes.
so remember...the operation "rme test"..passed their "bit perfect" test while an engaged drc "forgotten" etc.
;-))
(I ask the question .. the fader off function is effective-good? )
my point just to say that we learn every day.. and that it is often necessary not to be too categorical
;-))

Last edited:
Categorical or not, if the WiiM is purely acting as a transport and has fade in off, EQ off and fixed volume on, and is passing what it receives unchanged over coax/digital to an external DAC, how can its firmware impact the performance of an external DAC re soundstage etc? If a WiiM firmware change does impact the performance of an external DAC and you haven’t changed those settings, then that firmware is broken as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:
Categorical or not, if the WiiM is purely acting as a transport and has fade in off, EQ off and fixed volume on, and is passing what it receives unchanged over coax/digital to an external DAC, how can its firmware impact the performance of an external DAC re soundstage etc? If a WiiM firmware change does impact the performance of an external DAC and you haven’t changed those settings, then that firmware is broken as far as I’m concerned.
yes and no... ,-)
just that has always been claimed as bit perfect even for long periods of time.. without being so..
but maybe it is now... ;-)
understand that I relativize these subjects a little ;-)

Ifi implements exclusive modes in their streamers to reduce interface jitter . People report better sound when using these modes . Let’s say we have bit perfect and time perfect ?

Ifi implements exclusive modes in their streamers to reduce interface jitter . People report better sound when using these modes . Let’s say we have bit perfect and time perfect ?
The iFi Neo Stream had replaced my WiiM Pro a while ago. It feels (!) a little bit more adult and I was sure it is so much better. But after a while I became sure it was more or less the good feeling for something new. A real sound difference I could not identify without any doubt. Reference was the Pro connected to the Cambridge M200.
Main reason was I got it for free for testing 😉 and the pure number of possible connections is a nice to have. The main reason among the main reasons was the MR12 ethernet in. A fact which made our IT anarchists smile. And I like smiling people. If all this things weren't valid and the iFi UI isn't obsolete due to Roon I would state the WiiM Pro (the only WiiM I own) is a brilliant alternative for a smaller budget. Still a stunning performance and a fine UI.

The iFi Neo Stream had replaced my WiiM Pro a while ago. It feels (!) a little bit more adult and I was sure it is so much better. But after a while I became sure it was more or less the good feeling for something new. A real sound difference I could not identify without any doubt. Reference was the Pro connected to the Cambridge M200.
Main reason was I got it for free for testing 😉 and the pure number of possible connections is a nice to have. The main reason among the main reasons was the MR12 ethernet in. A fact which made our IT anarchists smile. And I like smiling people. If all this things weren't valid and the iFi UI isn't obsolete due to Roon I would state the WiiM Pro (the only WiiM I own) is a brilliant alternative for a smaller budget. Still a stunning performance and a fine UI.
You said you did not identify a sound difference ?

You said you did not identify a sound difference ?
Yes, my old but educated ears can not hear a difference. (A fact I love is not to own Golden or "Audiophile" ears and no oscilloscopes or similar equipment, only experience and musical knowledge. This makes living with music so much more fun 😉).
I can say that for the combo WiiM Pro with the Cambridge M200, which is a 600 € DAC.
No idea whats about other combos or other WiiMs.

I imagine the desperate look you will have on me...
ears that are not too old and trained... :oops:
golden ears and "audiophile" ears (with very stupid audiophile HDG gear) and...
oscilloscopes and measuring benches etc....!
the whole thing ...!!! o_O
so a word of mercy in the future when you read me..:oops::eek: 😭
Yes, my old but educated ears can not hear a difference. (A fact I love is not to own Golden or "Audiophile" ears and no oscilloscopes or similar equipment, only experience and musical knowledge. This makes living with music so much more fun 😉).
I can say that for the combo WiiM Pro with the Cambridge M200, which is a 600 € DAC.
No idea whats about other combos or other WiiMs.

ps I even have vinyl... shame...🥴

I imagine the desperate look you will have on me...
ears that are not too old and trained... :oops:
golden ears and "audiophile" ears (with very stupid audiophile HDG gear) and...
oscilloscopes and measuring benches etc....!
the whole thing ...!!! o_O
so a word of mercy in the future when you read me..:oops::eek: 😭
There is no other human being with more mercy than me..and vinyl is the best reason to forgive nearly everything.

I was looking for a chair and a rope right now.
You haven’t got the update didn’t you? I’m excited of this update as it contain peq and squeezelite. Wiim may need to upgrade their system as more wiim being sold and go online.

You haven’t got the update didn’t you? I’m excited of this update as it contain peq and squeezelite. Wiim may need to upgrade their system as more wiim being sold and go online.
I haven't received the update yet, but I have the beta firmware for PEQ. It may be better not to have high expectations on PEQ. 😅

I thought I'd be extra clever and force updating by restarting the WiiM app about 100 times and my WiiM Pro a couple of times and finally quench my thirst for the firmware update. Nope. Doesn't work. Don't waste your time. I should open a new ticket and ask for privileged service when it's about updates. 😭😁

I thought I'd be extra clever and force updating by restarting the WiiM app about 100 times and my WiiM Pro a couple of times and finally quench my thirst for the firmware update. Nope. Doesn't work. Don't waste your time. I should open a new ticket and ask for privileged service when it's about updates. 😭😁
I sent a ticket via wiim app but no answer.

This new update, on a WiiM Pro, sounds detailed and smooth. I had noticed in the previous firmware (release date 8/15) a sibilance and high frequency harshness that is now gone. Sound quality changes from firmware to firmware and that is something the developers’ team should understand what makes it degrade. This one is good. Let’s hope in the future it does not degrade. Another reason for firmware updates to be Opt-In only.

Note: This WiiM Pro is connected via SPDIF coax to an external DAC.
This is real interesting.

My first thread on joining this forum was about my experience of the Wiim Pro vs Zen Stream. I returned the Wiim in January this year soon after purchase because it did not compete sonically with the Zen (lack of soundstage depth & rather 2D in presentation)

I subsequently repurchased in July because I really needed the Chromecast facility, even though I knew SQ would be inferior. Imagine my surprise when I could no longer tell them apart sonically. I have now removed the Zen from my system as the Wiim performs much more reliably software-wise! This is obviously using the streamer side into an external DAC.

I was made to doubt my original findings on this forum, but I should have trusted my ears.

No update yet for me :(

Last edited:
I sent a ticket via wiim app but no answer.
You really did??? 😂 I don't think they would do anything about it. I just wish there was a way to force updates. Like on Windows if you actively search for updates you get them as soon as you look for them. Others who maybe care less about updates or new features, get them later. Not everyone is a WiiM nerd like us here on this forum.

It’s interesting to note that with each firmware update most posts comment on features but rarely about sound quality… the most important feature.
Not surprising. Digital output from Wiim consists of bit-perfect 1s & 0's which cannot possibly affect SQ....so the conclusion is its your imagination :unsure:
I hear a difference too, so I also have a good imagination 🤗

Back