8/31

Smartplug

Major Contributor
Well, as stated by wiim before today will be the release of the anticipated firmware for peq and squeezelite. It could take days before get the update as it go on a batch.

Has anyone got the update?

I am just guessing, but I assume you can go into LMS plugins and remove the uPnP plugin, and...

your WiiM Home app will now be able to use your LMS to play music? and....

the Material Skin app will also be able to see your WiiM devices and be able to play music to them.

Am I on the right track or way off base?

Thanks!

The WiiM hardware will now support another interface called squeezelite (in addition to Chromecast, Spotify/Tidal Connect, UPnP e.t.c) which will allow LMS/Material to talk to it natively (you can disable the UPnP Bridge).
It doesn't change the functionality of the WiiM Home App at all, you still won't be able to control any aspect of LMS from the WHA.

Last edited:
The WiiM hardware will now support another interface (in addition to Chromecast, Spotify/Tidal Connect, UPnP e.t.c) which will allow LMS/Material to talk to it natively (you can disable the UPnP Bridge).
It doesn't change the functionality of the WiiM Home App at all, you still won't be able to control any aspect of LMS from the WHA.
right now my WHA sees all of my WiiMs that are linked to my Music Router. LMS is plugged into the same router and is currently my only local music server. with WHA I CAN start and stop tracks and link WiiMs from different rooms. what I CAN'T do is select music that is on my LMS from the WHA.

I don't know if I am using the right terminology, but will it be possible with this update to select music on the LMS with the WHA?

I am hoping the UPnP update will solve the issue of track skipping when hitting Next from any app that works with LMS. We will see soon.

What I am further hoping is that the WHA will be able to see my library on LMS. The reason is WHA has support for Amazon Music. That and pairing is basically the reason for using the WHA, mostly I would use Material Skin otherwise.

right now my WHA sees all of my WiiMs that are linked to my Music Router. LMS is plugged into the same router and is currently my only local music server. with WHA I CAN start and stop tracks and link WiiMs from different rooms. what I CAN'T do is select music that is on my LMS from the WHA.
This doesn't change.

I don't know if I am using the right terminology, but will it be possible with this update to select music on the LMS with the WHA?
No, you'll continue to use Material to play to the WiiM, but instead of over UPnP it will be the native LMS streaming protocol.

What I am further hoping is that the WHA will be able to see my library on LMS. The reason is WHA has support for Amazon Music. That and pairing is basically the reason for using the WHA, mostly I would use Material Skin otherwise.
The only way to see your LMS library from the WHA is if you install the UPnP Media Interface plugin to LMS, but then you'll lose Artist bio, Lyrics etc

The only way to see your LMS library from the WHA is if you install the UPnP Media Interface plugin to LMS, although then you'll lose Artist bio, Lyrics etc
Thank you! That is what I wanted but didn't know what to look for. Again, THANKS!

Thank you! That is what I wanted but didn't know what to look for. Again, THANKS!
Just remember, when playing from the WHA in this manner you'll be using the WiiM's native interface.
I have no idea if this will cause issues from the LMS side.

Seriously do not use the UPnP Media Interface plugin. It hasn’t been updated for ages and is very basic.

Use LMS with Material and the Bridge or native client. If you want Amazon switch to WHA

Just remember, when playing from the WHA in this manner you'll be using the WiiM's native interface.
I have no idea if this will cause issues from the LMS side.
yea, you're right. with that LMS plugin, Material Skin or OrangeSqueeze are not seeing the LMS. good thought though.

So the WiiM is a player that relies on sources like streaming services or a local server, but the WHA can't access the files on the LMServer without the plugin, and with the plugin other apps can't access the files on the LMS.

Either I'm missing something or someone will figure out a fix.

Thanks again.

Seriously do not use the UPnP Media Interface plugin. It hasn’t been updated for ages and is very basic.

Use LMS with Material and the Bridge or native client. If you want Amazon switch to WHA
Yes, but I can't switch without enabling or removing the plugin. I know you know your stuff. Is there a way to use the WHA to play music from the LMS (without locking out other apps)? Before @simbun suggestion WHA just spun searching for a server.

Thanks!

yea, you're right. with that LMS plugin, Material Skin or OrangeSqueeze are not seeing the LMS. good thought though.

So the WiiM is a player that relies on sources like streaming services or a local server, but the WHA can't access the files on the LMServer without the plugin, and with the plugin other apps can't access the files on the LMS.

Either I'm missing something or someone will figure out a fix.

Thanks again.
I think you're missing something :)

When you choose to use LMS, that then becomes the centre of your universe with the Wiim device being used as a player from LMS (either via UPNPBridge plugin or the WiiM Squeezelite client) , which in turn is accessed via the Material skin interface, replacing the WiiM Home app as client.

You should only need to use the WiiM Home app to configure your devices and for example the use of EQ, or for services like Amazon Music that LMS doesn't support.

Yes, but I can't switch without enabling or removing the plugin. I know you know your stuff. Is there a way to use the WHA to play music from the LMS (without locking out other apps)? Before @simbun suggestion WHA just spun searching for a server.

Thanks!
When you want to listen to Amazon just use Material to stop whatever is playing from LMS. Then switch to WHA and start Amazon.
When you want to play from LMS, stop Amazon from within WHA and swap to Material.
It’s not complicated

Has anyone got the update?
When WiiM quote dates, they're only target dates and quite often they can slip. Plus they have a large estate over which to rollout firmware upgrades, so even if some have an update, it may take several days or more before everyone has it. Nor can it be 'forced'.

Patience is the name of the game...

I think you're missing something :)

When you choose to use LMS, that then becomes the centre of your universe with the Wiim device being used as a player from LMS (either via UPNPBridge plugin or the WiiM Squeezelite client) , which in turn is accessed via the Material skin interface, replacing the WiiM Home app as client.

You should only need to use the WiiM Home app to configure your devices and for example the use of EQ, or for services like Amazon Music that LMS doesn't support.
What you wrote is how I expected it to work, but it didn't. I just restarted LMS (again) and now both WHA and MS can access my music. I guess it needed another reboot.

Now, as I would want it, the Material Skin app lets you search by Album Artist (among Album, song, year, search, etc), but the WHA now lists Artists, not Album Artists. I assume that is by song rather then album and makes the list of artists much longer. While using the WHA, is there a way to list (album)Artist rather then (song)Artists?

Sorry if I am a pain!

I just restarted LMS (again) and now both WHA and MS can access my music. I guess it needed another reboot.
This is because you added the UPnP Media Interface plugin.

Is there a reason you don't want to use the WHA for Amazon Music and Material for everything else?

This is because you added the UPnP Media Interface plugin.

Is there a reason you don't want to use the WHA for Amazon Music and Material for everything else?
because before you made the suggestion of that plugin, my WHA would not see the media on my LMS. It just kept spinning a searching graphic. like @Brantome suggested, I AM missing something.

How is the WHA accessing your music? Are you using the Home Music Share option on the Browse page then what? Are you still using the UPNP Media Interface plugin that @d6jg advised against? The WHA can only present the options it's offered by a UPNP server, so if that server doesn't offer the options you want, there's not much the Wiim home app can do about it.

because before you made the suggestion of that plugin, my WHA would not see the media on my LMS. It just kept spinning a searching graphic. like @Brantome suggested, I AM missing something.
You really don't want the WHA to see your media on LMS, that's kind of backside forward. Ditch that thought and use the Material skin to play to the Wiim, don't use the WiiM Home app to pull tracks from LMS.

Back