Adding internet radio stations to Open Network Stream

NOticed that BBC still works thankfully since they appear to now only work through the Sounds app outside of the WOIM. Ive become addicted to both 3 and 6. Stream links that used to work via Foobar2000 or Podcast Republic apps no longer work.

NOticed that BBC still works thankfully since they appear to now only work through the Sounds app outside of the WOIM. Ive become addicted to both 3 and 6. Stream links that used to work via Foobar2000 or Podcast Republic apps no longer work.
Aunty turned off the old Shoutcast streams about a week ago.

I checked the database at "fmstream.org" and it lists a 128kbps/mp3 stream and a 48kbps/aacHE stream for BOTH BBC Radio 3 and BBC Radio 6.

The aac stream for BBC 6 is: "https://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/nonuk/
dash_low/aks/bbc_6music.mpd"

and the aac stream for BBC 3 is: "https://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/nonuk/
dash_low/aks/bbc_radio_three.mpd"

48kbps/aacHE isn't high def, but is certainly listenable (I would choose that any day over a 128k mp3 stream). Both aac streams work in my Windows browser, as well as on the player apps installed on my android phone. (I did not try them yet on WiiM, but I have never had a stream not work on WiiM that plays on my androids). Interestingly, the 128k mp3 streams listed on fmstream.org are both dead... note sure if these are the discontinued Shoutcast streams referenced earlier by d6jg

I checked the database at "fmstream.org" and it lists a 128kbps/mp3 stream and a 48kbps/aacHE stream for BOTH BBC Radio 3 and BBC Radio 6.

The aac stream for BBC 6 is: "https://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/nonuk/

and the aac stream for BBC 3 is: "https://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/nonuk/

48kbps/aacHE isn't high def, but is certainly listenable (I would choose that any day over a 128k mp3 stream). Both aac streams work in my Windows browser, as well as on the player apps installed on my android phone. (I did not try them yet on WiiM, but I have never had a stream not work on WiiM that plays on my androids). Interestingly, the 128k mp3 streams listed on fmstream.org are both dead... note sure if these are the discontinued Shoutcast streams referenced earlier by d6jg
Yes those are the mp3 Shoutcast streams. Aunty caused major hassle a couple of years ago when they moved to dash and announced they were shutting down mp3 streams. There was an enormous backlash as there were loads of device manufacturers that used it and people who had invested in Internet Radios that would not work. In the light of this Aunty was forced to leave the Shoutcast streams in place until a couple of weeks ago - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/recent-changes-to-bbc-sounds/shoutcast-closure

Thanks i will give it a go.

BTW Aunty says the decision was to enable them to concentrate on the "two most popular technologies - HLS and DASH"
IMHO this is rubbish as a) they aren't the most popular and b) its entirely about getting people to subscribe and digital rights management - sports events outside UK.
If you are lucky enough to use LMS with your WiiM you can install the excellent BBC Sounds plugin and you'll get the entire BBC Sounds feature set - after you have created a BBC account.

I should add that BBC Sounds gives you a superior quality - 320kbps

In my early stereo years the BBC monitors in all its varieties have been my favorites. At one time I had to accept that the waf was not helpful.

In my early stereo years the BBC monitors in all its varieties have been my favorites. At one time I had to accept that the waf was not helpful.
HiFi in all its guises is a minefield when it comes to WAF

Yes those are the mp3 Shoutcast streams. Aunty caused major hassle a couple of years ago when they moved to dash and announced they were shutting down mp3 streams. There was an enormous backlash as there were loads of device manufacturers that used it and people who had invested in Internet Radios that would not work. In the light of this Aunty was forced to leave the Shoutcast streams in place until a couple of weeks ago - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/recent-changes-to-bbc-sounds/shoutcast-closure
Yep - been there before as I got burnt badly years ago with the old Grace Digital devices that completely relied on Reciva. When Qualcomm pulled the plug on Reciva, the GD devices were completely bricked. I currently own a number of devices (Wiim, Arylic, Ocean Digital, etc) that all have the ability to play audio streams that I add in myself (similar to the Open Network Stream feature on the WiiM Home app). After the Grace Digital/Reciva fiasco, I would NEVER again buy a device that did not have an 'add your own custom url" option. I would rather rely on myself than on any station aggregator. If TuneIn, iHeart, vTuner, etc ever change their working partnership with WiiM (or even go belly up like Reciva did), at least the device continues to function with the streams that I have added in myself. Besides, when I add in my own stream, I know precisely what sound quality I am getting... TuneIn and vTuner rarely choose the best available quality stream.

Alas i am old enough to remember and use shortwave as that was the only means to get non-domestic radio. We are sooooo spoiled.

hi, my friend is celebrating his 70th birthday and I made him a player, electronics, 3D printing, LED lighting..etc ..... my friend listens to the Beatles or Jazz, I just couldn't find the Beatles anywhere for free, but I found your link Jazz88. I would use that in the device for playback, but I wanted to ask if there is also a stream in a lower quality of 64kbps? Or if you don't know where to find something similar in 64kbps or if you don't know about free Beatles stream .mp3

Thank you and Best Regards
Bob

hi, my friend is celebrating his 70th birthday and I made him a player, electronics, 3D printing, LED lighting..etc ..... my friend listens to the Beatles or Jazz, I just couldn't find the Beatles anywhere for free, but I found your link Jazz88. I would use that in the device for playback, but I wanted to ask if there is also a stream in a lower quality of 64kbps? Or if you don't know where to find something similar in 64kbps or if you don't know about free Beatles stream .mp3

Bob
Spotify free?

Bob
In 192 kbps:

In 64 kbps:

Other Beatle stations:
FMstream

Bob
Try these lists:
UK and Irish Radio
Garfnet
128k seems to be most common, though if you visit the radio stations own websites, they often list their alternative bit rates.
Marmite.
PS there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Using the voice function on the WiiM remote, I use Free Pandora frequently to play a station based on an artist or music style.

Play Beatles on Pandora or Play Jazz on Pandora, etc.

Back