Linkplay Radio/Speaker launched

kdhuk

The Roberts Stream 95i has just been launched - seems to be a lot different to their previous models - 93i and 94i etc

Stream 95i user guides and manuals are up on the Roberts technical site giving a bit more insight into it's capabilities.

https://www.robertsradiotechnical.co.uk/ProductPage.aspx?pid=Stream 95i

It's essentially a hybrid smart speaker with Alexa voice and chromecast. - with DAB+ and FM as an add-on. It's streaming OS is a LinkPlay system
Internet radio stations and streaming presets are chosen and set via the phone app. DAB/FM work without the app and again presets can be added without the app.

With my first post on his forum I'm asking if a Wiim Pro receiving any input be likely to be able to send this to the Roberts as it's a Linkplay device- just like it would to another Wiim resulting in multiroom playback? I assume that a Wiim Pro is only chromecast receiver and cannot transmit a chromecast signal?

Apologies ... I think I've found the answer to my own question!

It says this in the Key Features section of the Instructions pdf............. "Multiroom streaming capable (with other Icon/Stream95i or Linkplay based products, for example: WiiM)"

Apologies ... I think I've found the answer to my own question!

It says this in the Key Features section of the Instructions pdf............. "Multiroom streaming capable (with other Icon/Stream95i or Linkplay based products, for example: WiiM)"
Have you by any chance confirmed these devices work in multiroom setup identically to wiim branded ones?

Not sure - I'm a prospective buyer of both a Wiim (+ speakers) in one room and the Roberts 95i in the kitchen. I would guess the answer is yes, meaning the Wiim app would be able to send streams to the 95i as well.

(I currrently have a Google Cast based system using various radio station apps and HiFiCast/Poweramp apps to send streams to a multiroom setup including a Roberts 93i with an old Chromecast Audio puck plugged into it's AUX port)

Do multiroom AudioPro speakers ( which are Linkplay based) work in this way with the Wiim ?

Last edited:
No clue. I'm actually hopic to find Google assistant smart speaker with linkplay allowing me to use it in multiroom. Those AudioPro look potentially promising too. I own a pair of Edifiers too, but they are as dumb as possibly can, but sound amazing. I have my fingers crossed for wiim smart speaker.

The AudioPro G10 might work....?

Depends whether the AudioPro LinkPlay system is completely compatible with a Wiim/LinkPlay network

The AudioPro G10 might work....?

Depends whether the AudioPro LinkPlay system is completely compatible with a Wiim/LinkPlay network
Thanks for suggestion. There's a line on the page stating: NOTE! NOT COMPATIBLE WITH AUDIO PRO MULTIROOM

😭

To be honest I haven't tried chromecast multiroom so not sure how it compares to the linkplay one.

Ah OK - That means the G10 only uses the chromecast system exclusively, and there's no LinkPLay involvement at all.
It boils down to where you would source your content from. If you used the Wiim app then bear in mind Wiim's cannot send a stream to a network by chromecast - they can only receive a chromecast stream. AFAIK they can send via Airplay and LinkPlay.
If I was to invest in a Wiim I would continue to use Chromecast, as I describe in post #4 above, but that's the way I'm used to doing it. There's nearly always several ways of achieving a similar result. My interest in the Roberts 95i is due to the fact I could then try a different way of initiating streams. eg from the Wiim app.

Last edited:
I suspect MKII version might come out at some point similarly to A10.

I'm using wiim mini in the bedroom and it had no chromecast so would have to upgrade this to achieve chromecast based multiroom support instead on linkplay. This would theoretically allow me to get some independence from linkplay, when it comes to search for multiroom enabled smart speaker for the kitchen (with google).

Is the chromecast multiroom comparable in quality to linkplay? Is the playback gapless for example?

Back