After last FW upgrade, Wiim seems to be no more bit perfect.

merifon

Major Contributor
I would like to point out that some users refer that bit perfect reproduction via toslink verification tests on RME ADI-2 and other gears, is lost. Deviations are especially for anything over 44.1/16.
Can someone verify and provide?
Bit perfectness was the main reason to use wiim...

thanks in advance

More details on that issue can be found here

and on following pages.

I read the ASR Forum for the Wiim Mini it tells me there is a problem and bit-perfect is failing now. I do not have a RME ADI-2 to prove bit-perfect for each data rate so we need Wiim to fix it if its broken and assure its customer base is getting what you say is digital bit-perfect for Amazon Music UHD which is what I use. Thanks in advance. Please have a look over at the ASR forum for details.

I imagine the company wiim linkplay has a few measurement benches audio, so I can check what's going on...
seen that there are doubts since recent firmwares , in "no eq" too
(in addition the observations seem easy...)

and won't just rely on individual feedback....

;-)
ps
if you come to commit resources to fix these problems, you can take the opportunity to see if the fairly high jitter of the mini can be improved at the firmware level (?) ;-)

Last edited:
feedback is different...
measures taken with some rigor.
desperate cases.. another in seems to work without worries..

can be wiim down, or more simply incompatibilities between certain series and firmware?
mine is over 9 months old
a way to investigate?

I've prepared set of files to be played on WiiM to help verify if the unit is affected or not.

normal_x and distorted_x files should be played on WiiM, with fixed or WiiM's full volume
If they sound the same (distorted_x just a bit louder) without distortions the unit is not affected

good_x and bad_x files can be played on any other equipment. They are examples of distortion which would be heard if WiiM is affected.

actually
it turns out that a simple volume reduction in variable output in analog or toslink makes the obvious problem disappear ..
which is not normal of course.. but should clear up the concern for your engineers...

actually
it turns out that a simple volume reduction in variable output in analog or toslink makes the obvious problem disappear ..
which is not normal of course.. but should clear up the concern for your engineers...
So having it on fixed volume also shows the problem - is that what you're attesting?

Fixed volume is affected as well as non-fixed full volume. The only way I know to avoid distortions for high level signals is to disable fixed volume and to lower it to 90% for example. Of course no bit perfect at all at any signal level.

I hope WiiM pull out the stops to resolve this and restore the Mini’s bit perfect output as it’s already getting negative reviews on Reddit and elsewhere which might impact the successful release of the WiiM Pro…

Back